Has anyone used Soundtrack for Mac Os X before?

Slimtoad

If my guess is correct, this looks like it's specifically geared towards synchronizing audio and video. The loops are a nice bonus and simply meant as a stock library of sorts.

For music production I'd rather spend the money on Logic Express or Reason, really.

admittedly i've only tinkered with SoundTrack Pro for a couple minutes at my local Apple Store.

but the name itself is a giveaway for what it's for.. soundtracks.. not just fitting and timestretching the underscoring but adding signal processing to dialog and inserting sound effects.

from what i have seen there is a lot of overlap, as it's basically a multitrack non-linear audio editing with all of Logic's effects, a bunch of loops/cues and an excellent workflow.

if it works really well for you i guess that's that..

but you are basically using the wrong tool for the job.

stick with GarageBand, though maybe invest in some 3rd party plugins.

cheers.

No, Soundtrack Pro is included with Final Cut Studio. Pretty much everything you can do in Soundtrack you can do in Logic. As analoq said, it's not really for music composition (unless you solely use loops), it's more for editing audio for video and sound design. It does come with a lot of the audio plug ins that are included with logic. Ultimately though, it's meant to be used with video.

• 2 weeks later...