Final Fantasy 6: Balance & Ruin ReMix Contest (v2) - RESULTS IN

zircon

OK! We've finally collected all the votes and combed through them. Each mix was voted on in terms of arrangement creativity, and production (to a lesser degree, given the short timeline). It was actually very interesting seeing all the votes (each staffer picked their top 5 mixes). The spread was close and no two people had the same top 5. That speaks to the effort of everyone who contributed a mix, so thank you!

THE WINNERS

1st Place: Archangel with "Umaro's New Groove" (tied with XPRTNovice's "Narshemellow")

2nd Place: Patrick Burns with "Following Forgotten"

3rd Place: Mustin with "Now is the Winter"

Again, the voting was VERY VERY close, so I feel I should also give shoutouts to...

Honorable Mentions: Adam Kirby with "Endless Stair" and Jakesnke17 with "Gizmo Loving Sasquatch"

If you placed in the top three, please email me (aaversa@gmail.com) with your choice(s) of ISW libraries!

Overall, there were so many good entries that we will definitely be inviting more than those listed above to the project - so even if you didn't "win", keep your eyes peeled for an invite nonetheless.

Thank you so much everyone for participating, and you can find a RAR with ALL entries below!

http://zirconstudios.com/FF6_Contest_2.rar

Edited by zircon

Congrats to the winners! There are a lot of nice songs here (atmosphere in "Following Forgotten" is cool, Timaeus' entry also has some cool sounds, very refreshing after all the Narshe mixes).

Hope you like my entry (and hope it didn't place too badly...). I guess I can give it a shot at getting it posted outside of the album :-P I always pick the source that gets the most remixes.

Sad to see no one mixed "The Unforgiven", I actually wanted to give it a try but I only had a couple days to work on a mix and I only managed to do the Narshe one. Should've done Unforgiven instead :-P

Wow, no wonder it took a while to judge - friggin' 72 minutes worth of entries! Awesome to place in the top 3 - thanks for that!

I had no idea so many people would tackle Narshe. I thought I'd be the only one! I've wanted to do this for ages and had planned to do it with The OneUps but figured this would be a great opportunity for me to just flesh it out myself. I'm very happy with what I did and it was great to dust off the sax chops. Thanks to Nathan McLeod for loaning me his sax and William Reyes for loaning me his guitar.

Some really great arrangements in here! Glad to be in such good company. I, of course, adore my Bad Dude brother Dhsu's short and oh-so-sweet Narshe arrangement. Would love to hear you flesh that out some more, bro! But holy crap my hands-down favorite is Anti-Syne's "There Will Be Blood." Holy balls! That's a helluva mix! Awesome!

Thanks and rock on.

Oh man, there is some seriously good shit in that RAR file uploaded. I definitely don't feel like I deserve to be on the winners' board.

Congratulations to everyone; I think this could be a cool album just as a package of contest submissions. I'm listening to "Following Forgotten" right now and I feel like it's actually changing my mood. I love it.

I, of course, adore my Bad Dude brother Dhsu's short and oh-so-sweet Narshe arrangement. Would love to hear you flesh that out some more, bro!

Thanks, Dude. :) I'm thinking maybe I'll try and figure out how to use pads and/or filters and make it more ambient. Or maybe Phendrana Drifts it up.

Actually your intro is a lot like what I was thinking of doing at first. Great minds. ;)

Edited by Dhsu

I had no idea so many people would tackle Narshe. I thought I'd be the only one! I've wanted to do this for ages and had planned to do it with The OneUps but figured this would be a great opportunity for me to just flesh it out myself.

Same here. I played this game a few years back through emulation, and Narshe just has a very unique mood. At the risk of sounding pretentious, it's almost got this cognitive dissonance feel to it -- eeriness, calm, fragmented memory, mystery. And I'm glad to see so many treatments of it. Having gone the ambient, spaced-out route with my mix, I think some of the nostalgic impact is missing.

Congrats to all. Also, after an incomplete listen-through, I'd like to give kudos to jnWake, Joe Griffith, Crypto, Adam Kirby, and Anti-Syne for arrangements that obviously required a great deal of care and tinkering.

I would also like to thank reverb, delay, and whooshes for making my mix possible.

But holy crap my hands-down favorite is Anti-Syne's "There Will Be Blood." Holy balls! That's a helluva mix! Awesome!

I absolutely agree with this statement. When I listened to the source track, the first thing I thought was dubstep/chipstep. I really hope this makes it onto the album.

Congrats to the winners and everyone for making such great tracks in such a short time!

• 5 weeks later...
Break all of the links! People should just hear the final versions on the album... though yeah if there's ones not going to be on the album you could RAR those up and reupload but IMO the album-specific songs should be withheld! Especially from that first contest! Delete dat stuff off tindeck!

It's too late, I already have your songs and I've been sharing them with everyone.

• 3 months later...

Is it possible to get the RAR file fixed, or does someone still have all the music from it, minus the tracks that made it onto the album? I'd really like to hear the other tracks. I enjoyed several from the first competition that didn't make the album.

Is it possible to get the RAR file fixed, or does someone still have all the music from it, minus the tracks that made it onto the album? I'd really like to hear the other tracks. I enjoyed several from the first competition that didn't make the album.

This. Be nice to see what else was made that *could* of been used.

I have all the old music from the first and second contests, though I dumped the RARs long ago. I can obviously make new ones, host them too. Would anyone complain if I did this?

What I'd like is Unbalanced and Ruined :tomatoface:. I listened once and deleted it all in haste, but now I want to give it another spin.