Dune II: Battle for Arrakis - Turbulence (Mykah Electro Remix)

Mykah

I gotta say, that source is awesome! Dat FM bass.

Great sound design on the remix. I can't say any more because soundcloud is crashing like crazy on this iPad. :|

Makes me want to go and remix it... and add to the 5 remixes I have going on at once.

I love FM synthesis, it's hard as hell to understand though. I did toy with the idea of using the original bassline in my remix but decided it just didn't have the punch I required and got drowned a bit by my sub bass and leads.

Here's the updated version of my remix, now pretty much finished:

http://soundcloud.com/mykah/he-who-controls-the-spice-dune

Haha tell me about it, I've got about 60 tracks on my 'to finish' list and counting 8O It's all to easy to start new projects, not so easy to finish existing ones!

I love FM synthesis, it's hard as hell to understand though. I did toy with the idea of using the original bassline in my remix but decided it just didn't have the punch I required and got drowned a bit by my sub bass and leads.

Here's the updated version of my remix, now pretty much finished:

http://soundcloud.com/mykah/he-who-controls-the-spice-dune

Haha tell me about it, I've got about 60 tracks on my 'to finish' list and counting 8O It's all to easy to start new projects, not so easy to finish existing ones!

Oh yeah, FM is most definitely difficult to understand... well, if you look at it from a technical standpoint. I think of it as just speeding up a wave until it starts creating a buzzy sound, and then that gets filtered and modulated further with some subtractive synthesis.

Sub bass? Wat is dis sub bass dat u speek of? :< I just boost bass frequencies to get enough sub bass frequencies. ;)

Yeah, definitely. I try not to start too many. Two of them are almost done (1 collab, 1 solo), 1 is a little less done than almost done (collab), 1 is just started (solo), and 1 has yet to be contributed to (collab). :-o

EDIT... Darn it DDRKirby. Now you've got me inspired to start a 6th one, this time on something specifically Mario.

EDIT2: Oh right. I had another one I meant to go back and fix before submitting to OCR. So I guess that's 6 or 7. xD

Oh yeah, FM is most definitely difficult to understand... well, if you look at it from a technical standpoint. I think of it as just speeding up a wave until it starts creating a buzzy sound, and then that gets filtered and modulated further with some subtractive synthesis.

Sub bass? Wat is dis sub bass dat u speek of? :< I just boost bass frequencies to get enough sub bass frequencies. ;)

Yeah, definitely. I try not to start too many. Two of them are almost done (1 collab, 1 solo), 1 is a little less done than almost done (collab), 1 is just started (solo), and 1 has yet to be contributed to (collab). :-o

EDIT... Darn it DDRKirby. Now you've got me inspired to start a 6th one, this time on something specifically Mario.

EDIT2: Oh right. I had another one I meant to go back and fix before submitting to OCR. So I guess that's 6 or 7. xD

Yeah that's a good way to think about FM synthesis, you can even see the waveform changing in FM8 as you add oscillators and modulation.

For sub bass, I use a separate synth to my main bassline, and it's generally a extra low sine wave. It basically means you can mix the sub and mid bass separately to each other.

Yep, controlling how many projects you start is definitely a good skill to learn. I've not learned it yet, I literally start a new project whenever the idea for a tune comes to me, already started a few hundred this year.

Collabs are a good way to get tracks finished, all the collab'ers can shout at each other to get it finished haha. I need to do some more collabs really. Though hopefully one of my current OCR potential submissions will be accepted :)

Hehe, now that I've got the time to check this out on my normal computer:

The triangle wave panned left in the intro sounds a bit static and it's actually kind of strange playing in polyphonic mode.

The FM bass is also a bit loud compared to the triangle wave, assuming that's supposed to be leading over the bass. The timbre of the bass is great though. In fact, way better than the lead's. :P

1:42 would be really cool with some temporarily induced delay and reverb with automation. ;D

2:10 could be a good moment to change the drum rhythm to, say, hip-hop-like. 2:27 sounds like a buildup. Maybe you could add in a silent kick to sidechain-pump the bass as a buildup scheme, while automating the bass's volume up from a lower volume.

Okay, that's what I got for ya! :D

New version (hopefully final):

https://soundcloud.com/mykah/he-who-controls-the-spice

Changes:

Did a lot of work on the main lead to make it more interesting and greater automation of it throughout the song.

Added some reverb effects over the breakbeat bit.

Added a kick drum roll and bassline roll over the second half of the breakdown, which I think sounds rather intense and nice now.

I did consider your suggestion to have the second drop as a different drum beat but in the end decided to just keep this mix primarily house. Mostly because another remix I'm working on alternates between drum beats in such a fashion and I don't want both tracks to be too similar :)