*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Emerald Memories'

DragonAvenger

Hey guys!

Thanks for taking a look at my submission.

Remixer Name = Overwatch

Name: Matt Campana

Email:

Site: http://www.mattcampana.net

ID: 45225

Game: Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Arrangement Name: Emerald Memories

Song Arranged: Emerald Hill Zone

This track was written to evoke a deep understanding of Sonic and his past. He, like us all, has had to give up things from his past so that something new can begin. I don't believe he runs because he is trying to get away from his past. I believe Sonic runs head on into his future. Please let this song inspire you to live your life fast, but to always bring a friend along that can airlift you out of tough situations.

In the end, I wrote this because I believe there must be more emotive piano covers of Video Game Music. I want to continue to show the world how deep this music is. I intend to do that with my piano. Recorded in Cubase using the Ivory Steinway D plugin.

Cheers!

------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty great interpretation of the original here. I feel like you were a little aggressive on the piano velocities at times, a little more restraint might have helped you in the intro where the loud notes became just a bit over-the-top, but overall this is comfortably above the bar. I'm hearing plenty of the original throughout the track with a good mix of your own material. Nothing to say here, you're pretty good :-) Keep sending stuff our way!

YES

• 2 months later...

I too love the treatment but can't abide by some of the sections in the first half, the piano sounds way too unrealistic. I think it's more the instrument choice than your actual playing, which seems solid throughout. 0:38-0:49 was an especially weak section for me. Second half fared a lot better, especially the quietest parts. I dunno, guess I can't fault a YES vote, but this doesn't sound like a pass to me because of those few problematic sections.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 months later...

Not a fan of how blocky the performance sounded from :38-:49, and the fakeness of the piano was VERY unfortunate throughout. Anything that can be done in the future to smooth out the velocities and make the piano sound more humanized would be great. The more delicate notes sounded good on the whole, but when the volume was higher, you couldn't help but pay very close attention to how stiff/unnatural the performance comes across.

It's not WAY below the bar given the arrangement and some decent handling of the production to at least thicken up the piano sound, even the rigid timing was still very exposed. Also, I'm down with the arrangement, and I can understand these YES'es given the strength of it. I won't die with this posted as is, but hearing it I've got to dissent along with Palpable and ask for more votes.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Liontamer

The second half of this remix is much better dynamically than the first half. Just sayin. So... the arrangement is cool. I do have an issue with the piano at its louder velocities because I feel it undermines the arrangement, and the piano performance. I do really like how it gets more delicate as the track goes on, whereas i'm more used to hearing the dynamics get louder before a climax, not softer. That actually made the track more interesting to listen to for me, but the louder sections do need more dynamic contrast. I do think its a rather sizeable problem that needs fixing, but otherwise this is good, so if you don't pass, fix up the velocities and send this one back! :)

NO (resub)

Edited by WillRock

I've always felt that for solo piano pieces, that being so exposed, the piano is going to need to be a step above what might normally be adequate. What we have here is an awesome arrangement that's hampered by a sample that's lacking body and some rigid/unrealistic sequencing in the first half. This would be easier if the second half didn't improve in the sequencing department. Still, this is fixable stuff and I'd really really really love to hear this track hit it's potential.

Technically it has no bearing on my judgement, but as a remixer personally, I'd like to have another go at something so well written to get the production right.

NO resubmit (borderline)

• 1 month later...

I like the entire thing, but the :39 was almost comical and misplaced. I don't know if the samples need to be changed, but maybe toning the velocities down on that one section would do it. The last 2 notes also seem a bit silly, and i think something more subdued would fit better.

There is a lot of good in here, but I think some minor revisions would do this well.

No, please resubmit