Crash Bandicoot - Ruined Scape

darkbrandflake11

The Original -

I have worked on this remix for a little while now and put together a jazz remix of temple ruins. I wanted to keep the same quiet feel of the source, but put a spin on it. Please tell me what you think about it. I am not sure about the mixing on some of the louder parts.

https://soundcloud.com/darkbrandflake11/crash-bandicoot-ruined-scape

Edited by darkbrandflake11
Needed the Original

Not to bump threads or anything, but I just put up an updated version of Ruined Scape.

This updated version has an updated organ that might be able to throw around a different take on the arrangement. Let me know what you think about it.

In case anyone wants to know, this is a jazzy remix of Temple Ruins from Crash Bandicoot.

Edited by darkbrandflake11

Hi there, I wasn't familiar with the source, but I've just had a quick listen, and it sounds like you've stayed pretty close to it. You should try adding some chords with some background pads, and being a bit more adventurous with the percussion. The more filled-out parts with the bass and tenor sax and the organ noodling round about 2:30 sounds the best, so try and get the rest of the song up to that level.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear something really weird in the intro, and it sounds like it's majorly clipping. Intro is really muddy. Some sort of low end drone is cluttering things up like crazy.

EP sounds like live or live MIDI, dry and exposed.

Pizzicato is dry and exposed.

Timpani feels randomly placed, dry, and exposed.

Sub bass is too loud.

Sax is dry and exposed.

Other drums are dry and exposed.

Organ is dry and exposed.

No transitions.

You get the idea. You might be missing a limiter, and your instruments need more time spent on placement in a proper stereo field. Almost all the instruments are fighting for attention up front, and the sub bass gets tiring after a few seconds. Arrangement needs a sense of direction.

I hear something really weird in the intro, and it sounds like it's majorly clipping. Intro is really muddy. Some sort of low end drone is cluttering things up like crazy.

Not sure what that is at the start but if it's intentional it's great. On my earbuds it sounds like it's coming from the back of my head. If it just wasn't panned slightly to the right...

The bass sounds like one long note. Can't hear the plucks at all. Some neat wide swells but they don't come off in a pleasing way. The alto sax has a few notes that had my ears hurting as well.

Most of the playing is too mechanical. Was it all moused in? If you can get a midi keyboard and try to play a few things then it would sound a lot more natural. Overall probably not quite ready for Mod Review just yet but this would be very enjoyable with some more development.