A compo idea I had.

Draconiator

I was thinking about how to further make compo ideas and get the community involved, and here's something I came up with. If this gains steam I will make another post with the compo itself, as well as a weird storyline that seems to be all the rage in compos on here....:dstrbd:

How would YOU do it?

Basic premise: Participants would have to make an original work, BUT....in the exact style of a track from a game. For example, lets take Grasslands of Time from Chrono Cross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCCsGZAGv0Q

You would have to make an original with the exact same "feeling" of this track, I.E. not the same instrumentation, but the same general feeling. Short sources would be even harder, such as the Castlevania intro:

(0:00 - 0:06), since you have little to go on as far as an actual "feeling". I will also ask Darkesword if I could have a voting area, like his compos. Not sure of what the timing for this would be...maybe two weeks a song....or perhaps one week as the norm. And I'll probably use a bracket system as well.

Anyone interested/

What about making a track that doesn't necessarily convey the same emotion, but that could just as easily be used in the same context, and seem appropriate? Might be an interesting opportunity to write something where you disagree with the original choice. For instance, dark and gloomy would make the last stage of Castlevania feel very different... and I never did feel like the title screen of Super Mario World felt right.

I also think the event organizer should make a video every round, dubbing the submissions over the game segment in question.

I was thinking about how to further make compo ideas and get the community involved, and here's something I came up with. If this gains steam I will make another post with the compo itself, as well as a weird storyline that seems to be all the rage in compos on here....:dstrbd:

How would YOU do it?

Basic premise: Participants would have to make an original work, BUT....in the exact style of a track from a game. For example, lets take Grasslands of Time from Chrono Cross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCCsGZAGv0Q

You would have to make an original with the exact same "feeling" of this track, I.E. not the same instrumentation, but the same general feeling. Short sources would be even harder, such as the Castlevania intro:

(0:00 - 0:06), since you have little to go on as far as an actual "feeling". I will also ask Darkesword if I could have a voting area, like his compos. Not sure of what the timing for this would be...maybe two weeks a song....or perhaps one week as the norm. And I'll probably use a bracket system as well.

Anyone interested/

Sounds cool but I don't think you should make it tournament-style/bracketed. Just do a weekly compo like PRC.

Sounds interesting, after ORC and TOMC/CMC I don't think there's an original remix competition so it would be a good addition.

If you do it like PRC, so with a one week remix stage and a voting stage after that, I suggest to allign it with the PRC schedule (to not have the remixing deadlines close to each other).

Sounds interesting, after ORC and TOMC/CMC I don't think there's an original remix competition so it would be a good addition.

If you do it like PRC, so with a one week remix stage and a voting stage after that, I suggest to allign it with the PRC schedule (to not have the remixing deadlines close to each other).

By align, you mean...

which is why contests like these are so awesome. that gentle push you need. im in the same boat.

Especially when theres a deadline you have to hit, that helps a lot.

As for the competition; I'm sure it'll work if you could nail down a more direct definition of 'feel'. Other than that I think that anyway an artist can improve their skillsets is a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Making originals is a whole lot easier for me. I love the idea of this competition. I like to compose to pictures of landscapes, space, and basically any background picture. So my question is; will you post a picture of the place where the source is from, because that would also help to give a feel of what to compose. It would actually cause us to place ourselves in the same mindset as a composer. I would love to join this when it begins.