Sony PlayStation 4

Crowbar Man

I'm honestly a bit surprised at the reaction of Sony's conference. It's clear that they went the easy way announcing no DRM, no online requirements and the price (which is very cool actually!) to get people cheering for them. I've seen people trash the Wii U and the X1 announcement because there were no games and Sony announced like no exclusives... I think this conference was really lacking in the games department sadly (I mainly mean exclusives here).

The jabs at Microsoft are hilarious though and I'm glad they did that.

Wow. Sony really blew my pants off. It's nice, because I always had hope that console gaming wasn't dead, and I feel justified in believing that now! I'm so glad that this first day was so great. I'm totally sick of hating on stuff, so this was a much needed breath of fresh air! Good job Sony. I knew I held out as a fanboy for some reason!

So yeah. PS4 I think is an easy choice. Lots of games, does basic stuff like support used games, and its cheaper ($399). Compared to the terrible nightmare that became the XBO at this point, whats not to like?

Angel City:

Guess you didn't hear about 358/2 Days, Birth by Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance, Coded, and the HD collection coming out. Not a dead series by a long shot!

I feel like the PS2 days are coming back.

I hope not. PS4 seems a lot better designed then the terribly, terribly designed PS2. People may have made good games for the PS2 but it wasn't by choice, it was just the only thing you could make money on at the time. Sony took advantage of the PS1 popularity. PS4 is way better in that respect. Not only does it look nice and not as ugly as PS2 made everything, but devs are making games on it because it is a nice platform. I hope this is way better than the PS2 days because it was like a nightmare IMO lol

Edited by Crowbar Man

I'm skeptical of Sony's claims about DRM. Remember how Sony jumped up and down about Linux running on PS3? And then how they crushed Geohot for....enabling his PS3 to run Linux?

I think those decisions got made very close to the announcement date waiting to see if they wanted to go along with or counterpunch XBox. Between the scandals in DC and everything that's happened over the past few months I think that decision on the PS4 was made for MAXIMUM impact against Microsoft.

They're going to go through with it. If for no other reason than what the Prism...sorry XboxOne has already advertised. They really chose the wrong MONTH to go live with what the xboxone was going to allow and its going to HURT microsoft.

Let's see if Sony can keep their promises this time.

At this point, I don't see what can go wrong. Microsoft has been very indirect when talking about the XBOne and their plans for it. The used games fiasco and constant online connectivity issue really hurt them weeks before E3 even began, and now a lot of would be XBOne buyers have already made plans to shift to the PS4. During Sony's press conference last night, they stated very clearly that you don't have to be online all the time to play games, you can play used games/share a disc with a friend without any fees, and announced that their console would be a whole $100 cheaper than the XBOne.

If Sony were to turn around and say, "lololol just kidding, we're going make you pay for used games" and simply disregard everything they promised the gamers last night, they would be in for trouble. They've already won this gen's console war before even launching the PS4, so business would turn sour if they went back on their word. Unless they give us any reason to doubt them, we should trust them.

At this point, I don't see what can go wrong. Microsoft has been very indirect when talking about the XBOne and their plans for it. The used games fiasco and constant online connectivity issue really hurt them weeks before E3 even began, and now a lot of would be XBOne buyers have already made plans to shift to the PS4. During Sony's press conference last night, they stated very clearly that you don't have to be online all the time to play games, you can play used games/share a disc with a friend without any fees, and announced that their console would be a whole $100 cheaper than the XBOne.

If Sony were to turn around and say, "lololol just kidding, we're going make you pay for used games" and simply disregard everything they promised the gamers last night, they would be in for trouble. They've already won this gen's console war before even launching the PS4, so business would turn sour if they went back on their word. Unless they give us any reason to doubt them, we should trust them.

But what about a year after launch? Two years? After the whole Linux fiasco and Sony essentially making you sign a "never sue us" agreement whenever you logged in to the PSN, I can't say I trust them fully.

But what about a year after launch? Two years? After the whole Linux fiasco and Sony essentially making you sign a "never sue us" agreement whenever you logged in to the PSN, I can't say I trust them fully.

I'll say that backing up from this deal is a bit, tiny mite more significant than taking out support for linux which only an almost insignificant minority of the playerbase even used. I mean, this promise is only tipping the odds in their favor by absurd amounts and gaining them millions of new fans.

This is definitely a thing, but what's of note here is, by putting the DRM on the publishers, Sony passes the buck on to "WE HATE EA" as opposed to "WE HATE MICROSOFT/SONY". That seems like a pretty smart decision to me.

If Mcrosoft, after seeing the huge reaction to the Sony conference decides sometime during the months leading up to launch to remove always online and unblock used games, would you buy an Xbone?

Really, no game could sway me, I have a xbox 360 and once I beat Mass Effect 3 I never played my 360 again. While I would LOVE the Insomniac game to be not Xone only, I really could never justify the console. Even removing the always online and used game block, I feel they still have too much restrictions to buy the console. I've been burned time and time again by Microsoft, even on PC games. (I would like to note that this is my extremely restrained view on Microsoft)

And even though I am a little sad about PS+ needed for online play, I have it to this day, and I've enjoyed PS+ immensely. So I don't feel that PS+ is "play online mode" like live gold feels to me, I've gotten a huge amount of value from PS+.

That and the fact that Sony is helping push indie games makes me look towards the PS4 even more.

Loved the used disk features slide though, good stuff.

Edited by Unstable Hamster

Yeahhh even if FF15 and KH3 are on Xbone, I still think the exclusives coming to PS4 are better than Xbone. Just Destiny alone is mindblowing. And The Division, it's the kind of stuff you wish would come to PC. :-P

Destiny's not exclusive though.

Destiny's not exclusive though.

Oh eh. I missed the part where some things were announced as not PS4 exclusives this morning (like KH3 and FF15)

Upon looking it up, PS4 exclusives are...

Killzone shadow fall

Knack

DeepDown

drive club

the order 1886

infamous: the second son

last of us

Out of those I think i'd mostly be interested in Knack and The Order 1886.

But I think Sony's relationship with developers for PS4 is more important than XBone's lack of one, even if they didn't have the online and used game restrictions. So that's what I think!