Sony PlayStation 4

Crowbar Man

If Mcrosoft, after seeing the huge reaction to the Sony conference decides sometime during the months leading up to launch to remove always online and unblock used games, would you buy an Xbone?

no.

the exclusives aren't good enough to sway me, and an extra 100 dollar price tag plus a higher price for xbox live service are not worth a technically less powerful system that is pretty much operating under the onus of 'do what ea/ubisoft/activision (to some degree) wants'.

no to mention they can't remove the used games thing because EA/Ubisoft/every major publisher wants it. if they pulled out who knows what developers/publishers they would lose.

i can play halo 5 at a friend's sometime. pretty much everything else there is not that exciting.

This definitely doesn't change my mind about the PS4. I noticed a lot of backlash in the comments of the article, and it's obvious that a lot of people are jumping to conclusions. If this situation is really that serious, the consumer could just buy an original copy of the game. While anyone can argue that point in defense of the XBOne, they would fail to realize that the PS4's first party games are safe for sharing and that the third party publishers have the *choice* of implementing the DRM.

Is this going to hurt sales once the PS4 is launched? Probably not. I think a majority of consumers have figured out which console they're going to side with.

Yeah, PS4 by default has no major controlling DRM (other than the normal console stuff.) They just don't block publishers from making their own, so this isn't much different than PS3

Xbox One has terrible DRM built in by default (including system level DRM that checks with them every day otherwise stops pretty much working), and "features" of the DRM such as used games/trading/etc are opt-in choices for the publisher (by default opted out, so default you can't do anything with it)

Pretty major difference.

Edited by Crowbar Man

This definitely doesn't change my mind about the PS4. I noticed a lot of backlash in the comments of the article, and it's obvious that a lot of people are jumping to conclusions. If this situation is really that serious, the consumer could just buy an original copy of the game. While anyone can argue that point in defense of the XBOne, they would fail to realize that the PS4's first party games are safe for sharing and that the third party publishers have the *choice* of implementing the DRM.

Is this going to hurt sales once the PS4 is launched? Probably not. I think a majority of consumers have figured out which console they're going to side with.

And with the choice to implement those practices, consumers continue to have the ability to lay blame where it belongs for bad decisions: the people who publish them. There's always room to screw it up, but I like this move personally. For now, it shows that Sony's got some teeth they're willing to bear to keep consumers from getting control yanked out from their playing and buying decisions.