Sony PlayStation 4

Crowbar Man

I don't think the Wii was sold at loss.

Nintendo generally an exception, they sell things at profit off the back. The Wii was basically a recycled/overclocked GCN, so it made MASSIVE profits. (I could be wrong, but I think it was ~$100 to produce, and sold at $250)

Wii U however is being sold at a loss, not because of the hardware per se, but the GamePad is quite pricey to produce with its screen. (Est over $100+ just for the GamePad).

MS/Sony sold their consoles at a loss for PS2/PS3/Xbox/Xbox 360.

Though as mentioned earlier, I do not think that loss is as significant this round than the last 2 generations for PS4/XBO.

Edited by Crowbar Man

Nintendo generally an exception, they sell things at profit off the back. The Wii was basically a recycled/overclocked GCN, so it made MASSIVE profits. (I could be wrong, but I think it was ~$100 to produce, and sold at $250

Hmm. For some reason I thought the Wii was sold at a break-even price point. Could be wrong though.

Possibly if you factor in a bunch of other stuff in like the controllers, distribution, R&D, etc the profit margin looks smaller but just from the cost of the hardware itself, the Wii was said to be around $158.00 worth of components http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/15/wii-manufacturing-costs-ring-up-to-just-158/

Some articles mention Nintendo only made around $6-12 profit off each machine after all said and done. Considering the recycled hardware, I think those numbers are probably too low honestly as I'm sure Nintendo was making more profit than that

Now in this same article it mentions PS3... $805.85 to produce sold at $599.. and that's before you figure in stuff like R&D, distribution, controllers, pack ins etc. so the "being sold at a loss" increases from there.

Articles I've found say the 360 was selling for around $130 loss and PS3 was selling around $300 loss. I beleive both of these consoles are now breaking even due to hardware revisions

According to Nintendo, Wii U is being sold at a "minimal" loss that is made up by a sell of a single game. I'm sure the XBO/PS4 are probably being sold at "minimal" losses as well as I don't think anybody wants to repeat a generation of selling consoles at massive losses (especially Sony who had to play catch up for a long time).

But either way nobody will be selling the next generation consoles at profit right now, business as usual

Videocards are a completely different type of market

Edited by Crowbar Man

Sony made a smart decision to release games for their upcoming console

Generally, most console manufacturers release games for their console. Just sayin!

The PS+ required for online multiplayer will certainly help, plus the digital offerings for games, movies, music, etc all tie in to income flow. And as usual, accessories (PS4 Eye, controllers, etc) always tie in towards making profit (downside for consumers they have to buy new controllers this round though, ah well).

Nice of them not to force Plus on those who want to use the PS4 for other things besides what Plus offers and multiplayer (unlike MS who requires Gold to do ANYTHING on 360/XBO). That said, Plus has so many benefits now it would be silly not to get it. Free games across multiple consoles (PS3, Vita, PS4), discounts off digital purchases, beta access to things, and online for PS4. Pretty good deal

Edited by Crowbar Man

• 2 weeks later...
Destiny and The Order are coming 2014 though (inFamous too), we should skip this entire year!

Naw man, Knack will hold me over until 2014. I'll be facebooking and twitching the crap out of it, and spectating other people playing their PS4s. Maybe even on my smartphone, heh. With that cool PSN App they're making.

Plus Killzone, which I really want to play. Resogun which is a free launch exclusive, sounds and looks amazing. Tiny Brains!

Well InFamous and The Order 1886 are coming out in what's called the "launch window", but yeah... March 2014 is where that ends... long wait, but a manageable one with all the awesome stuff it's going to launch with, the free games and streaming / spectating stuff. People are probably gonna end up hiding me in their fb feeds hah.

Plus DriveClub.. this might be the first driving game I give a chance since Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. It looks unbelievable.

Edited by Brandon Strader

• 1 month later...

Well it stinks for you, but it's Japan's own fault! They need to support Playstation bettah. They've got like a billion people there but somehow the US buys more Playstations than they do. :tomatoface:

Here's a list of games launching on PS4: http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PlayStation_4_Launch_Titles

So yeah it probably will be Knack. I know Killzone has always been a PS exclusive so there's no chance to get it on PC... it looks good. I might get it but not early. :]

Oh, so now you're gonna discriminate against me and mah peeplez because we don't buy enough Playstations to satisfy you!? ^_~

Just kidding. :D

It's really because Sony is just so sure that Microsoft isn't going to win in Japan no matter what they try. Also, I don't think the Xbone is launching in Japan yet either, anyway. So Sony has time to push Japan aside for a moment.

I'm much more upset about The Hobbit part 2 since EVERY COUNTRY EVER gets it in 2013 EXCEPT JAPAN!

If I lived in Japan I would buy TWO Ps4s!!!!! You know it's sad China banned consoles, I bet companies would be able to sell SO many PS4s and other things there, with their population, and the natural appeal of PS4 and other consoles. >:) There'd be mad cash to be made, for sure.

I hope Knack goes on sale before release. I know that makes NO sense, but Beyond: Two Souls went on sale briefly for $35 a couple months before it came out. Anything can happen. Just gotta be vigilant and find the deal.