Star Fox is now 20 years old !

Psy_commando

Starfox is 20 years old today ! Starfox SNES was released at first in Japan on February 21 1993 ! :D

Well, at least in my timezone ( Eastern Time ).

And Nintendo didn't do anything.. They probably used up all their "franchise anniversary" budget on Zelda..

Has anybody spotted any mentions of this elsewhere on the web ? I can't find any :(

Are there any Starfox SNES fans around here ? Those are getting pretty rare these days, even in Starfox related forums.. Its pretty much all SF64 now.. :/

I remember acquiring that game....back then the most advanced graphics up to then was sort of faux 3D with Mode 7 graphics. All that changed with Star Fox. I loved that game...

Learned about the SuperFX chip later on, so at first I couldn't figure out how these amazing graphics were done on the SNES. Was a good time for gaming. These days the graphics are sort of laughable as far as 3D goes, but they've more than earned their place in gaming history. :)

Oh heck yeah - Starfox rocked my socks. I remember the first time getting all the way to Venom, the music was just epic and compelling and I was like, "HOLY CRAP, THIS IS HAPPENING!!"

And then learning of the weird alternate dimension in stage...2, I think? It's the bottom-most path to Venom and you find it in the first asteroid level.

It really is a great game - still hard as balls, but simple and entertaining.

Hell, I'd even settle for a sequel to The Legend of Starfox: Adventures.

You want a sequel to the game that more or less sabotaged the franchise?

These days the graphics are sort of laughable as far as 3D goes, but they've more than earned their place in gaming history.

I'll take the stylized 3D of the early polygon games (StarFox, Virtua Racing) over the stuff that comes directly afterward (aka muddy texture-ville).

They had a game system at my orthdontist's, one of those revolving ones with about 10 different games in it, and there was a competition among me and the other kids to see who could get it and hang on to it until their appointment time - you couldn't hover around it while you waited for whoever had it to get called back, and you couldn't be THAT d-bag who got up as soon as a name was called, on the off chance it was the kid who was currently playing.

Anyway, long story short and back on topic, there would occasionally be some kid playing Aladdin, and even rarer a kid who wanted to play the Jurassic Park one... but 90% of the time, it was Star Fox. All Star Fox, all the time. And the days when I managed to snag it, when I got to play even for five minutes... those were great days.

No, just because it had like 5 Arwing levels doesn't mean the game wasn't a piece of trash. And those Arwing levels were nowhere near as well-designed.

Plus, it had carried over the lame from Adventures, and as such, it was doomed from the start. By Command, the series has gone into full-on furry fanfiction territory.

But that's not what this thread is about. It's about that really cool polygon SNES game.

(if only Starfox 64's music was as good!).

Did anyone ever play StarFox's sister game,

But that's not what this thread is about. It's about that really cool polygon SNES game.

YES. I f***ing love that game! Back in the day, I couldn't believe they could pull off a game like that on a Super Nintendo. If Starfox showed me what the SuperFX chip did, Vortex and Stunt Race FX showed me how awesome it could be.

Holy crap ! 3 pages, in a few hours ! :shock:

And by the way anybody here read the Nintendo Power starfox comcis from 1992-1993 ? I love those !

Because the furry community got their hands on Star Fox, the Big N is prolly doing what they can to distance themselves from it. Kinda like Disney and Robin Hood.

Well, pretty much the day it was announced furries were on it. Though it got several order of magnitude worse when they created Krystal..

I remember acquiring that game....back then the most advanced graphics up to then was sort of faux 3D with Mode 7 graphics. All that changed with Star Fox. I loved that game...

Learned about the SuperFX chip later on, so at first I couldn't figure out how these amazing graphics were done on the SNES. Was a good time for gaming. These days the graphics are sort of laughable as far as 3D goes, but they've more than earned their place in gaming history. :)

Oh but Starfox did use mode7, well at least I'm pretty sure it did, but only to make the backgrounds and the ground.

What is lame for me is that I got the game after I watched Reboot( that 3D show for kids ), so 3D wasn't all that much of a surprise for me :(

And yeah, nowadays graphics upgrades are much less spectacular, but you have to take into account that it was a radical change to go from 2D to 3D ! Nowadays, its only about making 3D better.

Oh heck yeah - Starfox rocked my socks. I remember the first time getting all the way to Venom, the music was just epic and compelling and I was like, "HOLY CRAP, THIS IS HAPPENING!!"

And then learning of the weird alternate dimension in stage...2, I think? It's the bottom-most path to Venom and you find it in the first asteroid level.

It really is a great game - still hard as balls, but simple and entertaining.

QFT ! :)

Did you try to go to the alternate dimension back then, or did you just found out about it ? Because, I pretty much found out about that 4 years ago ! I always loved finding new things in old games. Just like when I play Deus Ex and find hidden paths I had never found before !

*feels old*
*you are indeed a worthy foe fox! but you are no match for me*

good ol' andross. also...

*feel old*

Yay ! A non-sf64 quote :)

I love the snes Andross, he was slightly less insane than sf64 Andross. :D

*looks at copy of starfox*

*feels old*

*plays starfox*

*feels young again*

oh, this SPAM is slightly related:

That reminds me I should be playing it on my snes asap !

And that's the Space Armada ! Sometimes I deliberately avoid going into the smaller ships, just to replay the part I just played :D But that boss was so damn annoying ! Mostly because you need to hug the wall to aim at the thingies, and you can't tell when you're too close and hit the wall.. And I just recently found out that you could simply nuke the core immediately with nova bombs, instead of destroying those electrical thingies..

And if you want to see some crazy play through of the game you should check out those :

They're tool assisted speedruns. That pretty much means that its a perfect play through

that's built from a big bunch of the best moves of a human player, but without any screw-ups ! And its also pretty much impossible to be that good.. My favorite part in the first vid is when he shoves his arwing up Monarch Dodora's butt, killing it instantly :D

Man, this brings back memories. I'll echo the *feels old* sentiment.

I used to loop the Space Armada in the background sometimes when working on something cause it's so epic. Matter of fact, I think I'll do so right....now.

I got all this in my playlist : the entire soundtrack + the special arrangement that were on the official soundtrack cd + the orchestra recorded in 1993 playing the main theme + sf2's soundtrack + pretty much all fan remixes I could find around the net !

I'm really productive with that playlist ! :P

But there are a little too much Corneria remixes in it..

I'll take the stylized 3D of the early polygon games (StarFox, Virtua Racing) over the stuff that comes directly afterward (aka muddy texture-ville).

Same here, I always thought sf64 looked ugly, even went it had just come out.. Pretty much because of the textures. Just like golden eye. Except that they both played better than they looked !

With that said, I wouldn't mind a real remake of starfox snes with a graphical update. (real in the sense that sf64 was much more than a remake. It just rebooted everything.)

I'm just going to throw this out there:

Star Fox Assault was a LOT better than everyone kept saying it was, and you wankers should be ashamed of yourselves for not buying it and keeping the Star Fox franchise healthy.

Wankers - the whole lot of you.

Its a little underrated, but I wouldn't say a lot better than what people think. And besides, I skipped the gamecube ! But I played both adventure and assault on the wii.

I think I only enjoyed the first mission, sargasso outpost, that big space station thing, Corneria city, and maybe sauria just because they made a brand new awesome music from scratch for that level.

But besides that, the translation and or the writing was pretty damn bad, even for Starfox. And they also changed the facial expressions of the characters from the Japanese release to the NTSC and PAL ones. There's a vid somewhere on YT showing the differences.

And there's the very badly executed third person gameplay Honestly, I wouldn't care if they'd make third person on-foot combat again, if its actually fun and not frustrating..

However, in SF: Assault's defense, there are rumors the game was going to be much longer and much more elaborate and have a more complex plot. But supposedly that Nintendo didn't like it and forced them to patch together a simpler game from what they had.. I can't say if that's true, but some concept art was leaked, there was concept art for things we never saw in the game, like the adjutant character, Peppy slightly infected by aparoids.

No, just because it had like 5 Arwing levels doesn't mean the game wasn't a piece of trash. And those Arwing levels were nowhere near as well-designed.

Plus, it had carried over the lame from Adventures, and as such, it was doomed from the start. By Command, the series has gone into full-on furry fanfiction territory.

I love the way you put it ! "Plus, it had carried over the lame from Adventures"

Indeed, sf64 could have used some better music.. And its the first time I ever see this game !

I played it years ago when I was a child. I didn't like it. It was very hard and frustrating, couldn't beat the second level :sad:.

I didn't like it back in the days either, because I could barely finish the first level on easy. But I really discovered it 4 years ago. I finished all 3 difficulties. And I can't even finish the hard route anymore, I'm stuck at Fortuna ! Stupid sea dragons, and Monarch Dodora !

YES. I f***ing love that game! Back in the day, I couldn't believe they could pull off a game like that on a Super Nintendo. If Starfox showed me what the SuperFX chip did, Vortex and Stunt Race FX showed me how awesome it could be.

Its probably my favorite SNES game, even over final fantasy, for the simple reason that, you can finish it much more quickly and have fun much sooner. In FF, you have to grind before having fun most of the time.. Its also pretty high on my favorite games ever list !