Final Fantasy VI - Digital Symphony

SavingPrincess

Hello Ryan,

I like the sample quality in most of your instruments, very nice. Although if your sample banks have round robin samples, please use them. Heard in a couple areas "machine gun effect" in some of the woodwinds. To be accepted by OCR however, I believe that there has to be more deviation from the actual tracks. Tweaking several notes here and there isn't really enough to be qualified as a "remix" musical style deviation is important. I enjoyed the little swing method you did at 7:20. When I listen to this I feel as though there needs to be more going on. More counterpoint, different melodies. Perhaps in the "gaps" between songs there can be a little original melody or counter melody. Try to draw your inspiration from different composers and different pieces of music. I felt as though, for the most part, I was listening to the original soundtrack with better instruments.

Since you wanted feedback I'm being critical, I think you have potential. Your samples are good and you seem to have the ambition for detailed work. Good luck with this piece!

-Derek-

-snip-

Thanks for the feedback! I'm still saving up for a better WW library... believe me, I'm aware hah. Trying to decide between Berlin WW and EWQL HOW at the moment.

I tend to make these things I do close to the source, so your thoughts are appropriate. I have a deep reverence for Uematsu's work, and I wouldn't want to push things too far away with my own embellishments, etc. Your comments are understood though, just not the purpose here.

I would never try to get something "accepted by OCR", I'm not that masochistic, and I think with my background/education/etc. that the judges and I have very different opinions on things, though I find their panels and thought processes fascinating and what they approve/reject is endlessly interesting to me; however I feel I'd rather just have fun with what I do and stand on the sidelines as an observer when it comes to the "official" stuff on this site.

There's a lot I would like to have the ability to do differently that I'm just a little held back tech-wise at the moment. I want a better Legato patch for my sordino strings... etc.

I put a little more "originality" (though not much) in my FFIV piece if you're interested.

[savingPrincess;906978]. Trying to decide between Berlin WW and EWQL HOW at the moment.

Thats a hard decision. I have Hollywood Brass and Strings. I listened to HOW and I was impressed to a point but I still think that Vienna Instruments have the upper edge. You should look into those (they're more expensive but you can get them individually which I like) Yes I would be interested to hear more of your work.

-Derek

-snip-

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43094

This is a fun one I did for FFIV, though you prolly already saw it on my SC page.

Most of the stuff on my site (savingprincess dot com) is just generic genre stuff, mostly done years ago. I have a couple games I'm doing the music for currently, and once the games get released I'll be able to post it, so most of my effort is currently pushed in that direction.

I didn't know you had a soundclick site. Visit mine as well: www.soundclick.com/orenproductions It sounds from your work that instrument runs and transitions are the most challenging. Which they are in sampling... Invest in Hollywood Brass Diamond and Hollywood Strings Diamond.. I had to fork out some bucks for the libraries and the hardware to run them. But it was definitely worth it for the results I got. If you want to listen to some stuff let me know and I'll send you the links privately.

-Derek