Uneven MP3 encoding quality

Cutter

Ok, I, personally, don't like overcompressing my music either, but let me ask you something.

Did you ever remix a song for more than two months?

Do you realize that by the time it is released/submitted, some people are so sick of hearing it over and over and over again that you just encode it so it is under 6 megs at a good quality and don't care because half the people on the site don't care either?

You get so sick of your own song, you just make sure it sounds good and nothing more. I've gotten sick of working on songs before, and I hate to hear it more than I need to. You want a set bitrate? You start a site that accpets only the top remixes at a sampled rate. The rest of the world doesn't really care, as long as it's not a horribly bad compression.

Well if you encode it at a good quality with the proper command line that's enough. You won't have to check if the encoding is good since you will know that it's already the best possible.

Ok, I, personally, don't like overcompressing my music either, but let me ask you something.

Did you ever remix a song for more than two months?

Do you realize that by the time it is released/submitted, some people are so sick of hearing it over and over and over again that you just encode it so it is under 6 megs at a good quality and don't care because half the people on the site don't care either?

You get so sick of your own song, you just make sure it sounds good and nothing more. I've gotten sick of working on songs before, and I hate to hear it more than I need to. You want a set bitrate? You start a site that accpets only the top remixes at a sampled rate. The rest of the world doesn't really care, as long as it's not a horribly bad compression.

Well if you encode it at a good quality with the proper command line that's enough. You won't have to check if the encoding is good since you will know that it's already the best possible.

One commandline can't be assigned to everything. For instance, some of my mixes play nicely with VBR. Others I have worked with (like TheWingless') don't. You can to encode on a song-by-song basis.

The problem here seems to be that one allows themselves to get too caught up in the audio quality of a song file rather than just enjoying the music.

I use SCMPX to encode my mp3's. How good is it compared to LAME? I couldn't tell you nor do I care.

If the resulting file sounds clean and clear at 128kbps or 160kbps, then I'm happy. Just enjoy the music. It's what we're all here for.

If the resulting file sounds clean and clear at 128kbps or 160kbps, then I'm happy. Just enjoy the music. It's what we're all here for.

It may sound clean for you, but other people may be more sensitive to compression artifacts.

Then don't listen to them...

It may sound clean for you, but other people may be more sensitive to compression artifacts.

Then don't listen to them...

:roll: