Working with ASIO4All

ShadTK

Allright this is getting ridiculous.

Is asio4all really THAT picky with device disponibility? Everytime I open SONAR, I'm forced to close everything else on my computer, otherwise asio simply refuses to work.

I can understand some programs really should conflict with asio (skype, games, youtube pages), but literally EVERYTHING that makes a noise render asio useless. Everytime I want to do music, I need to close chrome, steam(which I use for communication as well), pretty much everything. This also hinders my hability to see tutorials as I try.

I was thinking if buying a sound card would help at all.

Something like either Fast Track Ii, M-audio Fast Track 2, Fast Track C400, or even Scarlett 2i2. Seeing as I do not own a licensed DAW, the fact that they come with a bonus of pro tools SE / Ableton would be handy. But they cost 200/200/340/320 dollars around here, so I'm not sure if it is worth the shot as I don't record live stuff, nor I have a mic.

Any ideas?

I usually don't have to close things like chrome personally, but yes, ASIO4ALL IS that picky when it comes to having sole utilization of sound output. That's part of the reason that it's able to perform better than your default sound drivers: it's bypassing the Windows mixer. If another program is utilizing the sounds, asio can't take control.

It'd be nice if you could still give ASIO4all exclusive control, without having to actually -close- all of the other programs. That's what you really want, right?

Try disabling that playback source in windows settings, then re-enabling it and then grabbing it with asio4all? Can't guarantee that it'll work; it's been a while since I've fiddled around with it.

You still wouldn't be able to view your tutorials, though. Yes, it really is that picky.

I'll try to do that kirby, thanks for the hint. I just wish the thing would stop being so random, sometimes it just allows me to drop and pick stuff normally, sometimes it refuses to work because inkscape is open. INKSCAPE.

My notebook actually have a soundboard, but it doesn't use ASIO. Guess I'll put some money at a sound card them... not really that bad, but Spending is spending anyway. Hopefully my picks will pay off. Thanks for the help, guys.