OCR02825 - *YES* Silent Hill 4 'Weeping Angel'

DragonAvenger

greetings

Game: Silent Hill 4: The Room (PS2)

Composer: Akira Yamaoka, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Source: Room of Angel

Title: Weeping Angel

I made this doom metal for VikingGuitar's Danse Macabre compilation album. (http://vikingguitar.bandcamp.com/album/viking-guitar-productions-presents-danse-macabre) The MP3 I linked is the ideal version not adjusted for volume to fit along with other songs.

The last time I made doom metal was my Heavy Rain mix called From Mars. Like that song, this one is also influenced by My Dying Bride. Weeping Angel is a lot more traditional due to having vocals and sporting a couple traditional-sounding doom riffs. This is doom metal done my way, so it is still more accessible than usual. There is an emotion you can express with doom metal that is not present in most genres of music.

I love the sound I was able to get with the guitar, in particular the awesomely heavy riff at 3:43 during the chorus which has echo on the rhythms. The solo at 4:51 has some really liquid whammy bar bending and I love that sound. Really a big fan of doom metal but I tend to not listen to it so much anymore, it's too sad. FAR TOO SAD! But there's always times when the mood strikes. Probably the most least common genre on OC ReMix, people of the world need to become familiar with it!

Edited by djpretzel

Okay, the source is pretty chill; let's see what you did with it.

I like that you went in a different direction with a post-rock interpretation. It's a little plodding, but so was the original. Wow, I love the turnaround at 2:30. That's the type of personality that really adds to your interpretation.

Mixing-wise..I think the vocal takes up a lot of room for the genre. It could sit further back, make more room for the guitars. I also think it's a bit dry and boomy. Oh damn, I'm only halfway done? This middle section is definitely a bit crowded between the vocals and guitars.

What I thought was post-rock is really more goth-metal. Your interpretation after the 5 minute mark is definitely cool, if a little indulgent. It was definitely needed as the track is getting quite long at this point.

Okay, on the whole I was skeptical that this track could keep my interest after so much time, but you really do mix it up and the arrangement is plenty varied.

The mixing issues I heard really don't kill it for me, so here.

YES

• 3 months later...

So, personally not diggin' this a super lot, but you've done a lot of good personalization and a pretty drastic style change that still keeps the super depressing mood of the original. A lot of the little harmonies on the vocals are nice touches, and the countermelodies also add some extra flavoring that is pretty good. I'd agree with Jesse that there are some parts that are a bit crowded, but I think overall the track has some decent to good clarity, and I never felt like it was to a point that it would need a serious fix-up. Nice solo, too. :)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez, this is cluttered. At first it seemed like it was just going to be some brief stuff to complain about, but from 1:35-onward, the vocals were getting buried, and the soundscape was stuffed up. The vocals from 2:47-2:50 were mud, but 2:52-3:36 was more upfront, though 3:31 started getting cluttered heading into the chorus. From 3:43-4:37, all the guitar work and padding was just totally indistinct. 5:46-6:10 was pretty muddy as well, then the final vocal verse was also cramped.

Yeah, I'm not pulling the old man card, but you could go deaf listening to this, and not in the fun way. :lol: This could totally be pulled back and still sound just as dense and intense WITHOUT so many sections of this turning into a muddy pile of noise. It's too bad, because the arrangement is awesome, but this is unfortunately another piece where too many parts are stepping over one another and preventing the writing from being discerned and appreciated. Good luck on the vote, but IMO, you'd do wonders cleaning this up and sending it back.

NO (resubmit)

EDIT (10/25): Brandon sent in a tweaked version of his own accord to clean this up some and make the vocals more upfront. It's a nice improvement, IMO, without undermining the energy of the piece. The arrangement was excellent, and I'm totally on board now that things are cleaned up on the production side.

YES

Edited by Liontamer
new version; changed vote to YES

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really my kind of thing (and the original is pretty 'meh') but I think you've done pretty well to keep things interesting throughout the track considering the length and what you had to work with. Everything to say about the mix has already been said that I can see.

YES but now I'm sad and filled with doom.