Zelda - Song of Storms ReMix

nOkbient

I started working on this a couple days ago. It's really my first ever attempt at a remix. Before you hear it, I realize that at the moment it sounds REALLY bad in some places, primarily in transitions (such as around 3:20) and some of the samples used. When you give feedback though, don't hold back. What you might notice as bad, I might not have noticed at all.

What I have here is the Song of Storms, mixed in with other various Zelda tunes. I wasn't very serious with this at first, but it just kind of happened. Oh, also it was all done by ear so if the actual melodies from the game are messed up let me know! WELP, here it is:

UPDATE

http://soundcloud.com/nokbient/zelda-remix

Ok, so I fixed up the compression/ EQing and fixed the awkward transitions, as well as add a couple more Zelda sfx. I think some of the melody stuff works a bit better now too!

Edited by nOkbient

Dude, this is seriously nice. For your first attempt, this is really a great start.

I say, considering how amazing the bass is, bring up the beat more. Make the beat bigger and more fat. You've got a great bassline going there. I'd just suggest bringing up that beat. More compression to bring it out and such.

And I love how you also are using other tunes. It really works. Like Saria's Song. And then the part with the foreign string instrument (which one is it?) is really cool.

The way you transition everything is well done.

It feels a slight bit too empty, though, so I'd say maybe add in some pads. Maybe like compress them to the kick so that whenever the kick hits it sorta pulls back in volume, if that makes sense? Just a thought.

I love how you get back to the Song of Storms near the end. And your alternate chord progression is great.

Seriously, keep it up. This is nice. :)

?..And then the part with the foreign string instrument (which one is it?) is really cool.

The way you transition everything is well done.

It feels a slight bit too empty, though, so I'd say maybe add in some pads. Maybe like compress them to the kick so that whenever the kick hits it sorta pulls back in volume, if that makes sense? Just a thought.

It's a Kora, I believe. I love that bit too, haha.

I thought about pads, but I was worried that it would make the whole thing too muddy. I'll try sidechaining some compression on pads to the kick and see if It mucks it up too much.

Yeah man, I dig it. I can hear what you mean by it being kind of raw and needing more finessing, and it suffers from medley-itis which the judges would frown upon, but it sounds a lot better than my first game remix. :)

Regarding "medley-itis" do you mean just in general or specific parts? I think I see what you mean, but where specifically is it the worst?

Getting way more positive feedback on this than I thought I would!

For a first mix, this is incredible. :P

You definitely have a great base for a track.

A few points though:

Several of the non-synth instruments sound very dry and artificial, particularly the plucked strings and flute.

The first instance of the lost woods theme, and the stuff from the original Zelda are where the "medlyitis" bit comes in. They don't sound like they're needed, and seem like they're an 'easter egg' in the mix.

The drums are rather quite.

Your kick is getting squashed by the bass, at least in the intro.

I like how it transitions from 6/8 to 4/4 in a way that first made me think it was just side-chaining messing with the levels before noticing it's a different rhythm. :D

Cool use of both orchestral and electronic elements, tho I would suggest layer them a bit more to give the otherwise often weak pizzicato some meat.

The arrangement, however, is as others have already pointed out, too medley-ish for ocremix. If you're gonna submit this to the site, it should be more cohesive and flow better between parts and sources. It's good that it circles back to SoS towards the end, but there's a lot of jarring transitions and other medley things in the middle.

You also have some weird clashy stuff around 4:00.

Not all good, but a really cool thing regardless. :D

The pizzicato is rigidly sequenced. It sounds like one person playing. Try adding offsetted notes to make it sound like 2-3 people playing. Just select all the notes, clone them, lengthen them on the left edge a bit, then shorten them from the right edge until you have the right edge of the cloned notes lining up with the left edge of the original notes. Now you have a slightly better pizzicato.

0:57 - filter-automated detuned square bass is too loud.

2:44 - instrumentation sounds like original to me, just a bit. Also sounds conservative.

3:26 was a bit sudden. I don't think that 'transition' worked.

3:52 might have a few different keys going on at the same time?

4:11 - something muddy or sub-bassy?

4:39 - I'm not hearing anything connecting those two parts. :/

Ideas are there, they just need to flow better for the most part.