RWS 1-F ReMixing With the Stars: Season 1 Finale: "Touched by a Star"

MindWanderer

Season 1, Episode 6, Season Finale: "Touched by a Star"

RMWtS-large.png

Current News

Results are in!

Results!

1. First Place: "Hair in the Wind (Bang Your Head)" by Kuolema, with 18 points.
  2. Second Place: "A Song to Heal All Ills" by Cash and Change, with 14 points.
  3. Third Place: "Borrowing Danimal's Cannon" by Tuberz McGee, with 12 points.
  4. Fourth Place: "Sweet Dreams" by Final Kingdom, with 8 points.
  5. Fifth Place (tie): "Run Boy Run" by Esperado, with 7 points.
  6. Fifth Place (tie): "The Eye of Crystal" by The Eluryahn, with 7 points.

Download Season 1 Now!

Particpants

About ReMixing With the Stars

ReMixing With the Stars is intended to give beginning remixers some support, encouragement, and mentoring in their quest to become great, and as a sidenote, to become posted remixers. Beginners are mentored by experienced remixers to push their abilities to new heights and submit collaborative works according to the theme of the month.

Rules

• Participants: For this season finale, we're doing something special: This is the chance for every novice who participated this season to show off what they've learned. It's just you, your DAW, and whatever you've learned in the last 1-6 months.
  • Theme/Mixes: The finale's theme is "Touched by a Star." All mixes should either:
    1. Be based on source(s) that already have one or more remixes posted on OCR. In this case, you have the additional challenge of doing something different from anything that's been done before. Or:
    2. Be based on any source(s), and be done in imitation of the style of a specific posted ReMixer. This is challenging enough!

[*]Submissions: All entries must be sent to me by the 12PM PST deadline via PM on the forums, with a link to a reliable host for me to download your mix from. Please don't use Tindeck, as it doesn't give you control over what the filename will be when downloaded. Also, in the PM, please include a link to the source, and, if you went with option B, the name of the posted ReMixer you're imitating. I also recommend you post in this thread that you've submitted your mix, since I know there have been issues in other compos with PM's not being received. Please submit your file as an mp3, preferably encoded at a high-quality VBR or 320kbps. Filenames must be in the following format:

Novice - Title (Game).mp3

Example:

MindWanderer - The World's Worst ReMix (Pong).mp3

Proper file names mean I can do my job of getting the compliation done and posted faster, which means you get to hear the great music produced by this sooner.

Schedule

All deadlines are 12 PM (noon) Pacific time (PST).

• ReMixing from Feb. 27 to Wednesday, March 13, 1200 PST (2 weeks). Rules and guidelines above.
  • Voting from whenever I get the compilation posted (should be no more than a few hours after the deadline) until Wednesday, March 27, 1200 PST. Votes should be based on, in roughly descending order:
    1. How much improvement there is between the participant's "sample" arrangements and their submission. This should be the most important voting criterion!
    2. Adherence to the theme. For option A, this means that their mix is unlike any existing mix(es) for that source. For option B, this means that their mix is a recognizable imitation of their target ReMixer's style.
    3. Use of source (i.e. interpreted but recognizable)
    4. Arrangement
    5. Production
    6. Enjoyability

You'll pick your three favorites, in order. Your first-place vote will get 3 points, your second-place 2 points, and your third-place 1 point. Participants may not vote for their own mixes, but participants who vote will get a free first-place vote added to their score. Please send me a PM with your votes, like this:

1. First-place ReMix

2. Second-place ReMix

3. Third-place ReMix

Thanks for your interest, and lets get this show on the road!

Previous Episodes

• [thread=40611]Pilot Episode: "Beginnings"[/thread]
  • [thread=41556]Season 1, Episode 1: "Spooky!"[/thread]
  • [thread=41864]Season 1, Episode 2: "Origins of Home Gaming"[/thread]
  • [thread=42143]Season 1, Episode 3: Special "You Can Never Have Too Much Mega Man" edition[/thread]
  • [thread=42485]Season 1, Episode 4: "Yesteryear"[/thread]
  • [thread=42797]Season 1, Episode 5: "Ultra-Modern"[/thread]

Edited by MindWanderer

Trying something special for the finale. No signups, no stars, just dive in if you're eligible and interested. Please double-check the rules!

Participants, if the links to your old music are broken, or if the music has been switched to private or something, please fix them or give me updated links. You're on your honor not to make them worse on purpose!

Really cool idea for this final round!

The tracks I sent you at the beginning were totally just WIPs; practically no production and shoddy playing/crappy midi all over the place, but here they are:

https://www.box.com/s/4gvts86v98rs4rhy8s6z

https://www.box.com/s/73f6daf568aac52bc342

Man, I've still got to finish that Chrono Cross one...

Edit: So yeah, I'm in :)

Eligible Particpants

• shadow24: #1 #2
  • Cash and Change: #1 #2
  • Trism: #1 #2
  • ProjectSpam: Album (Use the first two tracks for consideration)
  • The Eluryahn: #1 #2
  • TheRexAsaurous: #1 #2
  • HeavenWraith: #1 #2
  • Final Kingdom: #1 #2
  • Esperado: #1 #2
  • Anorax: #1 #2
  • Kuolema: (I originally had these in a PM from the pilot, which I deleted. Please provide them again if you're in.)

Hey can I ask why I'm not here? :/

I'm still a novice right?

I'm totally in... and I think I might know what I'm doing. :)

Really cool idea for this final round!

The tracks I sent you at the beginning were totally just WIPs; practically no production and shoddy playing/crappy midi all over the place, but here they are:

https://www.box.com/s/4gvts86v98rs4rhy8s6z

https://www.box.com/s/73f6daf568aac52bc342

Man, I've still got to finish that Chrono Cross one...

Edit: So yeah, I'm in :)

Added.
Hey can I ask why I'm not here? :/

I'm still a novice right?

I'm totally in... and I think I might know what I'm doing. :)

Ah, missed yours, and for the same reason. Please give me links to your "qualifier" pieces.

I'm contemplating whether I should participate or not. I think it really depends on my coursework for school, but I'd really love to give this another shot. If I find song and have a good idea for its direction, I'll go for it.

Edit: It's decided - I'm in for another round :D

Edited by Final Kingdom

Got it.

LOL... I checked them out, and SoundCloud invited me to "Follow Tuberz McGee, CNN, Big Boi, and others on SoundCloud." The Holy Trinity!:350: Somehow I don't think there's a ton of overlap in those audiences. Perhaps that's the point?

Edit: LOL again... now it's added Al Jazeera. Who does it think I am?

Edited by MindWanderer

Anyone know an amazing pianist here at OCR that could learn my piece in less than two weeks and record it? It's all arranged, just needs a player.

EDIT: Looking at the rules, that would probably be against them. However, what if I played it or found someone I know personally to play it and the recorded it?

Edited by The Eluryahn

However, what if I played it or found someone I know personally to play it and the recorded it?
If you want to play and record it yourself, that's fine. But no other people, please. I personally find that samples and soundfonts do a pretty decent job with piano, though you do have to humanize. Not that I'm a good judge of such things my any stretch of the imagination.

Anyone know an amazing pianist here at OCR that could learn my piece in less than two weeks and record it? It's all arranged, just needs a player.

EDIT: Looking at the rules, that would probably be against them. However, what if I played it or found someone I know personally to play it and the recorded it?

Send me the piece. I may be able to. Probably not, though. I'm not that amazing at piano :P

Man, I feel like I'm copping out by doing the piece I'm doing, since it's just piano. And because I will likely not be able to record it being performed live before the submission date. =/

Solo piano pieces are awesome!

If you can't record it before the deadline just take a shot at humanizing it yourself (Even a little bit of humanization can make a piece sound pretty good).