Let's Plays

Magnetic Ether

Well, I do make my own Let's Plays, presently going through Final Fantasy IV (thanks for the plug, OA). My commentary has been improving over the course of this game in particular and I try to be both entertaining and informative as I feel those are the most important qualities to anyone doing a Let's Play.

My favorite Let's Player is HCBailly. He does RPGs and goes to great lengths to reveal strategies or secrets, sometimes even glitches like the extra Crystal of Darkness in FFIV. He's also pretty entertaining. I learned a lot about Final Fantasy IV and V that I ended up implimenting into my own Let's Plays of those games from watching his videos.

I'm telling you guys, Husky is hilarious to watch. I've watched his playthroughs even though I don't even like some of the games he does. Let's see, I remember he has done Black Mesa, Half Life 2, Starcraft, Brood War, Starcraft 2 WoL, Pokemon Blue, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Warcraft 3. This is his second channel and it has 181k subscribers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/husky

Vash12349 has some pretty funny Metal Gear videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vash12349

Ive been watching NintendoCapriSun (NCS) for a while, and I like him because hes older and plays games like I do, aka I suck at the newer stuff, but he can destroy 8 bit games.

Also He talks alot about his personal life and really just seams like a decent guy all around. Hes even lost a ton of weight, I guess hes encouraged a bunch of people to do it as well

I also watch a ton of HuskyStarcraft, both his 1st and 2nd channel. Hes pretty entertaining and he grew up in Oregon, which is where Im from.

I dunno, the kind of LP I like to watch (other than stuff like

) tends to be less about the actual game and more like a cross between a podcast and gameplay video. Stuff like Game Grumps or Two Best Friends Play are fun not for actually watching the games (they're often not very good) but for the dumb conversations they have while playing. It nearly perfectly recreates the "hanging out with friends, playing games" environment of the pre-Halo days, when you'd either pass the controller around, or just hang out and heckle your buddy as he fails the same jump 20 times in a row.

Edit: That said, I think watching the TBFP Revengence videos are infinitely more fun than actually playing the game would be. Pat's way better at the game than I would be and their enthusiasm for it all is kind of infectious.

Too lazy to read a whole bunch, but I'm a pretty avid Super Metroid runner and I love watching speed runs on Twitch.tv. The record has been oscillating between Garrison and Kottpower over the past few months. And the records have been taken in a HUGE way most of the time (7-14 seconds, which is pretty nuts for a Super Metroid run). Haven't watched in a while, but last I checked WR was around 46:14 or something (for those that don't know, the game clock *isn't actually real time* (ZOMG?!!), and the game clock typically hangs around 0:31 for the majority of these runs)

Not exactly a "Let's Play," but it's still watching someone else play

UGHUGH

I can't stand even motivated gore. I was freaking out worse than the audience.

that caught me by surprise. damn.

also i find it sad and ironic that conan o' brien making sexist jokes while playing what is by all accounts a game that gives women their due respect is MORE APPROPRIATE than sexuality in games itself.

Too lazy to read a whole bunch, but I'm a pretty avid Super Metroid runner and I love watching speed runs on Twitch.tv. The record has been oscillating between Garrison and Kottpower over the past few months. And the records have been taken in a HUGE way most of the time (7-14 seconds, which is pretty nuts for a Super Metroid run). Haven't watched in a while, but last I checked WR was around 46:14 or something (for those that don't know, the game clock *isn't actually real time* (ZOMG?!!), and the game clock typically hangs around 0:31 for the majority of these runs)

Not exactly a "Let's Play," but it's still watching someone else play

I saw Garrison's recent WR, pretty crazy stuff considering he messed up in Norfair, meaning his record still has plenty of room for improvement (meaning I'm super excited to see him beat it again!)

Yeah to add and emphasize what others have already said about LPs, I watch them because it's enjoyable. Sometimes I don't have the time or motivation to sit down and actively play through a full game, and often it's because I don't own the game and sometimes want to relive my childhood watching others play it.

The commentary has to be good, and you have to enjoy the person speaking. Although some people find his voice annoying, I've enjoyed some LPs by NintendoCaprisun who mainly does Nintendo stuff.

Then there's an old strategy game I played called Age of Empires II (and Age of Conquerors expansion) which ZeroEmpires casts lots of games.

I also tune in to see what Kripparian is up to, because I really enjoy what he has to say, and he's a damn good gamer (he streams about 8 hours every day starting at 5pm PST).

To sum it up, you just gotta find the right game and find the right person who you enjoy listening to.

I saw Garrison's recent WR, pretty crazy stuff considering he messed up in Norfair, meaning his record still has plenty of room for improvement (meaning I'm super excited to see him beat it again!)

Yeah dude! That's the exciting thing about SM, the gameplay mechanics and advanced techniques (and some random elements) leave gameplay WIDELY open-ended. I've yet to see a perfect or even NEAR-perfect run, yet all the stuff they do is insane and really, really fun to watch. Glad someone relates :P

The Great Clement is doing all, and I do mean ALL, the Sonic games in chronological order (just got to the end of Sonic and the Secret Rings) and has done the classic Mega Man and Mega Man X games. BrainScratch Commentaries is pretty rediculous and annoying at times, but has a lot of highlights in any given playthrough as they spend more time bashing each other than commenting on the game.

I thought I was the ONLY ONE here who watched Clement and BrainScratchComms. Highly underrated!

I also watch SGBLikesToPlay. They've just finished LA Noire, and are about to do Zelda II and Metroid.

that caught me by surprise. damn.

also i find it sad and ironic that conan o' brien making sexist jokes while playing what is by all accounts a game that gives women their due respect is MORE APPROPRIATE than sexuality in games itself.

If by "due respect" you mean turn Lara Croft into a Nathan Drake wannabe idiot, then yes, it certainly was respectful.

I think most people only ever looked at pictures of PS1-era triangle-tits Lara and never played a single TR after that.

I just thought I'd say Toby playing SLENDER was the first time I was able to watch someone play the game.

Because his hilariousness covered up all the scary.

yeah.

Slender stops being scary once you realize that it's nothing but one big jump scare.

I'll be honest, this may be the best moment in video game commentary history.

My opinion, but I don't think I've ever laughed so hard til I cried watching video game commentary like this. When Arin lost it and started screaming, I seriously thought I was going to die from laughter. I couldn't breath for 10 minutes.

That wasn't an overexaggeration. lol

If by "due respect" you mean turn Lara Croft into a Nathan Drake wannabe idiot, then yes, it certainly was respectful.

I think most people only ever looked at pictures of PS1-era triangle-tits Lara and never played a single TR after that.

Slender stops being scary once you realize that it's nothing but one big jump scare.

it's like you WANT to be jaded

it's like you WANT to be jaded

you learn to ignore him after awhile. the best part is how he didn't even refute my point he just made a snarky comment for the hell of it.

also, that game grumps video is hilarious and if you don't think so then you're trying way too hard to be 'too cool for school.'

Edited by The Derrit

you learn to ignore him after awhile. the best part is how he didn't even refute my point he just made a snarky comment for the hell of it.

also, that game grumps video is hilarious and if you don't think so then you're trying way too hard to be 'too cool for school.'

Well, you say it gives women their due respect, but there was that whole "rape" scene fiasco a while ago...

To be honest, I don't think there will ever be a game that gives women their due respect because there will always be at least one person who will scream "sexist" no matter what.

Two of my college profs. are into the game industry. One was a writer for Bioware actually. The other just writes about how the game industry is "sexist".

I'll bet they have great arguments.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

I'll be honest, this may be the best moment in video game commentary history.

My opinion, but I don't think I've ever laughed so hard til I cried watching video game commentary like this. When Arin lost it and started screaming, I seriously thought I was going to die from laughter. I couldn't breath for 10 minutes.

That wasn't an overexaggeration. lol

I really don't see what's funny about people exaggerating their reactions and yelling over videogames. Granted, this particular video isn't as offensively bad as pewdiepie/tobygames I guess, so eh.

Edited by Tensei