Let's Plays

Magnetic Ether

All those people who shit themselves over Slender would positively die if they had to face the army of jump-scares in Resident Evil 3. That game takes place in jump-scare-city (I love it though).

you learn to ignore him after awhile. the best part is how he didn't even refute my point he just made a snarky comment for the hell of it.

also, that game grumps video is hilarious and if you don't think so then you're trying way too hard to be 'too cool for school.'

hey im snark

im not so snark

and im the 'guy that is too cool for school'

Your point was "it's sad and ironic that O'Brien makes sexist jokes in a GURL POWER game" - and my point was "this game pales in comparison to earlier Tomb Raiders which had embraced both Lara-as-sexy-action-heroine and Lara-as-competent-video-game-'GURL POWER'-character." Is making an action heroine who is a pastiche of action-adventure movie characters weak and vulnerable (not to mention a rip off of a lame modern franchise) giving women their 'due respect'? Would that work the other way around if you say, made an origin story for Duke Nukem? I doubt it.

Hell, the developer specifically said he wanted to make you (presumably the average male gamer, because who else reads developer interviews) care for Lara Croft of all people by making her WEAK AND VULNERABLE. Something like "You'll want to protect her!" I thought the point of Lara Croft was that she didn't need someone to protect her, but what do I know.

Edited by EC2151

All those people who shit themselves over Slender would positively die if they had to face the army of jump-scares in Resident Evil 3. That game takes place in jump-scare-city (I love it though).

hey im snark

im not so snark

Your point was "it's sad and ironic that O'Brien makes sexist jokes in a GURL POWER game" - and my point was "this game pales in comparison to earlier Tomb Raiders which had embraced both Lara-as-sexy-action-heroine and Lara-as-competent-video-game-'GURL POWER'-character." Is making an action heroine who is a pastiche of action-adventure movie characters weak and vulnerable (not to mention a rip off of a lame modern franchise) giving women their 'due respect'? Would that work the other way around if you say, made an origin story for Duke Nukem? I doubt it.

Hell, the developer specifically said he wanted to make you (presumably the average male gamer, because who else reads developer interviews) care for Lara Croft of all people by making her WEAK AND VULNERABLE. Something like "You'll want to protect her!" I thought the point of Lara Croft was that she didn't need someone to protect her, but what do I know.

Sounds like more run of the mill "they changed Lara" crying. Similar to the DMC Dante thing.

It's also been said numerous times that Lara becomes stronger and more like the Tomb Raider we know her as over the course of the game. Who the hell just starts out as a fearless adventurer?

I don't really watch many LPs regularly, not because I don't enjoy quite a few of them, but mainly because most of them are just too damn long: I'd rather spend that time playing myself than watching someone else do it. He was mentioned before, but I do enjoy watching Critikal's stuff, mainly because he finds the most obscure godawful games on the planet and then lays that wonderful monotone over them. I like KurtJmac's stuff, especially his Minecraft series Far Lands or Bust: he's traveling what amounts to 12 million meters from his spawn point, without using mods, and using it as a fundraiser for Child's Play. He doesn't do anything particularly special gameplay-wise, but he winds up talking about all sorts of interesting random topics, and I just find it something relaxing to sit back and listen to.

My favorite LP series I've found has to be from a couple of Aussies called Two Awesome Gamers. Their main claim to fame is a series based on the Minecraft map Skyblock, which as the name suggests is a little cube in the sky that you have to live on somehow. The reason I love these two so much is that they pretty much fail at everything they attempt, and/or have horrific luck, so the entire thing turns into a comedy of errors. They're also doing a series on the indie game Crashtastic, which they're about as successful at as Skyblock.

I really don't see what's funny about people exaggerating their reactions and yelling over videogames. Granted, this particular video isn't as offensively bad as pewdiepie/tobygames I guess, so eh.

See, it's just your taste for comedy.

I really don't like PewDiePie in any way, but I really like TobyGames. I haven't watched a TobyGames in a while, but I subscribed to him in the first place because of his Skyward Sword gameplay (which is completely done now, unfortunately; he never finished the game).

I just laughed so hard hearing Arin screaming like that and Jon's reactions. I enjoy what people sometimes consider "smart humor"?, or a "smart joke", but I also really love just seeing things blowing up and screaming and stuff. I don't know what's so funny about it. It's just funny to me.

With regards to Pewdiepie/Tobygames, the problem I have is that first of all, nobody in their right mind would actually react like that to a videogame, which pretty much leads me to believe that all those scare-cam style LPers are just putting on an act and exaggerating their reactions on purpose.

This in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but it does cheapen the whole experience since they explicitly include the webcam feed to show their reactions to playing a scary game. If the reactions aren't genuine, it kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Then there's the fact that all of it just feels lazy, unimaginative, and low effort. I recall seeing a video where Toby had connection issues and couldn't even be arsed to edit out three minutes of "connecting to server...", between the two of them they have hundreds of videos about Happy Wheels (not exactly a deep game if you've ever played it). I feel like they're putting in the absolute minimal amount of effort to make money off their videos.

I loved RE3. I loved Slender. Both games no longer scare the crap out of me as bad as they once did but I had a blast playing them when they were new.

The problem is that the survival horror games of the last 10 years haven't included the horror part of it. Or the survival. Though many indie games have.

Here's the real, honest, TRUE reaction of anyone playing any survival-horror game:

*take a few steps

*quicksave

*take a few more steps

*look around

*find item and pick it up

*quicksave

*see something moving

*move out of the way

*reload gun

*quicksave

*fight enemy from as far a distance as possible

*quicksave

*take a few steps

Don't try and b.s. me. You know it's true.

With regards to Pewdiepie/Tobygames, the problem I have is that first of all, nobody in their right mind would actually react like that to a videogame, which pretty much leads me to believe that all those scare-cam style LPers are just putting on an act and exaggerating their reactions on purpose.

This in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but it does cheapen the whole experience since they explicitly include the webcam feed to show their reactions to playing a scary game. If the reactions aren't genuine, it kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Then there's the fact that all of it just feels lazy, unimaginative, and low effort. I recall seeing a video where Toby had connection issues and couldn't even be arsed to edit out three minutes of "connecting to server...", between the two of them they have hundreds of videos about Happy Wheels (not exactly a deep game if you've ever played it). I feel like they're putting in the absolute minimal amount of effort to make money off their videos.

Yeah they pretty much put in no effort. :P

And I know it's all staged. It's so obvious. Why would Toby just every day use the voices he uses there? I'm not searching for real. I'm just searching for funny.

Though their reactions to scary games could be staged, at the same time I think not. Because here's the thing, I had the same type of reactions when playing a game like Slender. I am a very enthusiastic gamer (I've been known for screaming and yelling at the game and talking to it lol), and when I played Slender, I sorta had those same type of reactions; screaming and making faces and saying weird things and such.

Considering how often PewDiePie plays horror games, I have a harder time believing in his reactions, because I have a feeling he's so used to it by now that all he's doing is just faking it now just to keep his audience.

And the WHAT IS THIS episode in Sonic '06 series of Game Grumps was totally staged. So obviously it was fake. It was most likely improvised, but it was very obviously staged. But that was what made it so funny. Arin purposely breaking out in madness and screaming because of a glitch is just funny to me. Sometimes the funniest things are the fakest things. (fakest isn't even a word)

EDIT: I do want to add in this though. The surprise moments with PewDiePie and TobyGames where they freak out in a horror game may be real, but I can almost bet that all the body movements they make, running around and getting up and throwing the headset on the ground is all staged and they purposely did that for entertainment rather than because it actually freaked them out. I don't do that, and even at the MAGfest panel of Game Grumps, they said they would never do facecam because it ruins the magic. All the screaming and funny things you hear during the game is funny, but once you see them playing it, it's boring. Because they're doing all those voices but they are literally just sitting on the couch and not moving at all. Which is why they said they wouldn't do facecam. Because it's just not interesting.

DOUBLE EDIT WHOA: Ironically, Game Grumps just posted a video today of Sonic '06 Ep. 75 (http://youtu.be/Y-tNj3uVwGw) and uh... about 7 and a half minutes into it and that looks like a facecam to me. lol

Of course, the reason for doing so was because that was a funny moment to get on camera.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

Are there any sources for Let's Play set ups? I'm trying to create one for a media site and want to cut out the video and paste it into this frame that makes it look like its playing on a oldskool tv. I'm hoping that's something I can do in after effects.

Are there any sources for Let's Play set ups? I'm trying to create one for a media site and want to cut out the video and paste it into this frame that makes it look like its playing on a oldskool tv. I'm hoping that's something I can do in after effects.

Me and the Nighthorse crew have a green screen behind a couch, and we use Chromakey in Vegas to edit. If you are going to Green Screen make sure to have plenty of lighting and try not to cast shadows onto the screen.

There is a guy I want to bring up. His name is Sambo (Youtube name = sambonz). This guy makes his let's play to teach about the game rather than to go through it for the story elements. He is absolutely the most likable person to listen to. He does MMO's and is really good at explaining the game mechanics for anyone who wants to become a better player. He will usually dedicate a whole 40 minute video just explaining the new updates from the latest patches. Take a look at the last video from his Final Fantasy XIV series.

But he also does DC Universe online, TERA, WoW, Rift, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and a bunch more. I was so impressed with him, I joined his Linkshell on his official site and when the game comes back up in a couple of months, I'll be adventuring along with the hundreds of his followers.

Let me put it this way: he's terrible at the games, but people with multiple maxed out characters join him because he's just that likable of a guy. If you want, put in an application on the forum, and you can join in with us as well.

hey im snark

im not so snark

no what i said was that is was a game that portrayed a woman lead role respectfully.

which you then took as GURL POWARR and made a completely unrelated uncharted reference to.

you might have also read that this game takes place before she is the 'tomb raider' of the original series

you may have also logic'ed out in your head that creating vulnerabilities is part of creating, oh i don't know, a well rounded character

i forgot that creating emotional connections to characters is bad if they're women

i also forgot that uncharted was really really bad thanks for reminding all of us who were clearly misled by its good gameplay and interesting story

embraced both Lara-as-sexy-action-heroine and Lara-as-competent-video-game-'GURL POWER'-character"

plus

a pastiche of action-adventure movie characters

equals

giving women their 'due respect'

?

how about no. your understanding of what 'respecting women' entails is hovering dangerously close to republican level

and last of all, YOU HAVE NO BASIS FOR SPEWING THIS NONSENSE WHATSOEVER. THE GAME WAS NOT OUT WHEN YOU MADE THAT POST. THERE WERE NOTHING BUT POSITIVE REVIEWS FOR THE GAME. ALL SOURCES WITHOUT FAIL CITE LARA CROFT AS A MORE INTERESTING AND BELIEVABLE CHARACTER. AS OF THIS MOMENT IN TIME THERE ARE NO NEGATIVE REVIEWS OF THE GAME ON METACRITIC BY PROFESSIONAL SOURCES, AND A MEASLY ONE NEGATIVE REVIEW BY USERS. YOU ARE LITERALLY TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS TO BE LIKE 'OLD THINGS I LIKE ARE BETTER THAN ALL THIS NEW SELLOUT CRAP'

i'm delirious sick right now so that last part might have been overboard but someone has to call you on your absolute bull.

sorry this is so off topic i this this is a good conversation

Edited by The Derrit

If I want to speak disrespectfully and dirty about a fake cartoon girl that doesn't exist, I seriously don't find a problem with that.

Of course, I wouldn't want to be talking that way around an actual *real* girl, but I don't really think it'd be disrespectful if you were talking badly about something that doesn't even exist? Just a concept. Disrespecting actual women, on the other hand

I have no clue if this even has to do with anything else said below. God knows what time it is (oh look it's 1:10 am) and I just saw something about disrespecting women and video game girls?

This comment is now officially pointless.

By the way, relyanCe, sweet sig. :P

I've been enjoying this

a lot, to the point of actually buying the game because of it. It keeps a fairly nice balance between being informative and having funny banter; the person playing is a first-time player and going in completely blindly, but he always has experienced co-commentators to guide him in the right direction or intentionally misleading him for entertainment.

I watched the streams of the game from the moment it was leaked out of curiosity. I [initially] wasn't considering buying the game myself, because the developer interviews didn't make me confident that the game was really going to be what I wanted from a Tomb Raider game (my suspicions proved accurate: ergo, I won't buy the game).

If you think Uncharted is good, you'd love the new Tomb Raider. I think Uncharted is boring, pandering shit, and thus, I'm not really 'sold.'

Also, I didn't know that anyone gave a single shit about the origin of Lara Croft, the Tomb Raider. Samus Aran is my favorite game character, and her origin didn't really factor prominently in my estimation of her (it factored, but it was by far one of the least important things about her). We got an origin story for Samus too - no one cared. Other M, as always, is an extreme example of sheer incompetence, but I use it to illustrate that iconic game characters just need to be themselves to be loved and admired. Nothing more, nothing less. Why use a Tomb Raider license at all, if not just to cash in on fans of the franchise?

If your idea of 'respect' includes [implicitly] "Make them weaker (because weak is 'interesting' and 'well-rounded')," what does that say about your own inclinations? I'm not seeing how having room for fun action-heroines that do exciting things (doing exciting things is the reason I play video-games - not so much for building emotional bonds with the characters) makes me a chauvinist or somehow lessens said heroines' appeal. Isn't there enough room for Ellen Ripley to be Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor to be Sarah Connor, Lara Croft to be Lara Croft, and Samus Aran to be Samus Aran, alongside infinitely-deeper female characters in literature and movies? Or does everyone need to be Moll Flanders, Anna Karenina, or Madame Bovary?

I may chalk all this up to being 'deliriously sick,' because your post does lack a great deal of coherence. I don't mind conversation, but if you want to insult me the whole time, how about I call you out on being a fucking assclown.

Tangential to this post (but not tangential to this topic), there is a pretty

(prequel to Fallout) on youtube. The guy sort of takes it as an opportunity to flex his DM story-telling skills, so it's pretty pleasant to listen to. Edited by EC2151

Other M was actually a great game. So many people bashed it around and were like "it's too different and we don't like the layout" but I honestly loved it. I liked the way they were going with it and Nintendo's featuring a heavy amount of dialogue was actually a really great idea.

The storyline is absolutely amazing (you never knew what was coming next) and it was one of those one games where I actually got really interested in the cutscenes. It's like with so many other games, I only watch the cutscenes to make sure I don't miss any valuable info I'll need to know later. With this game, the cutscenes were actually really enjoyable to watch and I would actually keep playing the game to see what would happen next and what the next cutscene was.

And the game itself was great. The gameplay was nice, the music and concept and even graphics (even for the Wii) were great.

I seriously thought Other M was a really good game. And their backstory behind Samus and stuff was great. You really got to understand her and you suddenly felt like you were in the game.

When a game is able to get you to think you are truly a part of it, I personally think that's the mark of a great game.