Let's Plays

Magnetic Ether

It wasn't bashed for being 'too different'. It was bashed for having a completely inane plot full of nonsensical retconning, terrible voice acting, and some of the most hamfisted symbolism I've ever seen (BOTTLE SHIP, GET IT?! BABIES!)

What? I guess something's wrong with me, then, because I sorta liked the voice acting. Hamfisted symbolism? What did I miss out on in the game?

It wasn't bashed for being 'too different'. It was bashed for having a completely inane plot full of nonsensical retconning, terrible voice acting, and some of the most hamfisted symbolism I've ever seen (BOTTLE SHIP, GET IT?! BABIES!)

This is a true statement.

The 'backstory' that they added to Samus was thrown-together at best. The mental breakdown when she fought Ridley was nonsensical in all meanings of the word, as she had already killed him in previous games around 5 separate times.

Not to mention that they wiped the Prime series OUT of the canon in place of Other M so that it 'made sense' (spoiler alert it doesn't). The Federation repeatedly tries to kill her in Other M, and then she's just cool with helping them in Fusion (next on the timeline after they screwed everything up). Ugh, one of the few instances in Nintendo's history that truly makes me rage

What? I guess something's wrong with me, then, because I sorta liked the voice acting. Hamfisted symbolism? What did I miss out on in the game?

The game puts an honestly ridiculous emphasis on bringing up Samus' presumed maternal feelings for the baby metroid (a relatively minor/non-existent element in super metroid), often very blatantly (such as the bottle ship, or Samus mentioning that a distress signal sounds like the crying of a baby).

It feels like a very half-assed attempt at adding 'depth' to the character, and that's not even getting into some downright idiotic plot points such as Samus literally letting herself take fire damage because Adam didn't authorize her to activate her varia suit.

Edited by Tensei

It feels like a very half-assed attempt at adding 'depth' to the character, and that's not even getting into some downright idiotic plot points such as Samus literally letting herself take fire damage because Adam didn't authorize her to activate her varia suit.

Ok, well you have a bit of a point there.

I still liked the game. :P

lots of stuff

so here's what i'll do

i'm gonna go ahead and say you are right that there are many archetypes of women

i'm also going to tell you that if you can find a girl that's *not* a gamer and doesn't immediately roll her eyes at the mention of tomb raider i will be impressed

when i said your ideas on respecting women are dangerously close to republican level i meant you're coming to conclusions on what is good and respectful towards women without realizing that women as a whole do not find the whole lara croft multimillionaire double-d superstar thing appealing

and that's as far as it goes. it doesn't matter that they 'don't get it' and lara croft is actually very intelligent etc. etc. an actual woman that doesn't play games sees old lara croft and goes "oh hey. look. a bimbo with huge tits, wonder what guy came up with that one." the lara croft of this game, or pre-lara croft, seems like an actual person.

how you are taking this so far out of context and proportion to say that i'm wrong is really quite mind boggling. it's not your opinion on what respectful to women is. it's what women's opinions of what's respectful to women. and a very large proportion of women don't see it the way you do.

i like old lara croft but to say that she appeals to anything other than female gamers and men is really just not seeing it straight.

also if by coherence you mean i make posts without punctuation or capitalization when i'm replying to something stupid then it was indeed incoherent

:whatevaa:

This thread seems amazingly off-topic right now, so I might as well say something real quick before I post on-topic. I was HUGELY disappointed with Other M. Worst purchase of my gaming life (pre-ordered it and everything). Scripting was horrible, Samus was almost unrecognizable, cutscenes way too long and sleep inducing, battles got repetitive real quick.... A pretty flop is still very much a flop. They need to learn why people liked the others and then disliked Other M with a passion. It left me outright melancholic. :(

Now, someone mentioned an Animal Crossing LP. Someone have a link, or did I just miss it somewhere? I want to know if the guy bothers weeding any. :)

:whatevaa:

This thread seems amazingly off-topic right now, so I might as well say something real quick before I post on-topic. I was HUGELY disappointed with Other M. Worst purchase of my gaming life (pre-ordered it and everything). Scripting was horrible, Samus was almost unrecognizable, cutscenes way too long and sleep inducing, battles got repetitive real quick.... A pretty flop is still very much a flop. They need to learn why people liked the others and then disliked Other M with a passion. It left me outright melancholic. :(

Now, someone mentioned an Animal Crossing LP. Someone have a link, or did I just miss it somewhere? I want to know if the guy bothers weeding any. :)

See, I think everybody just thought it was way too different from the other ones. When you said "Samus was almost unrecognizable", I mean, I almost don't care. It still had a sense of Metroid to me. Metroid Prime series will forever be my favorite, but Other M seriously was a good game. I think I get your idea of battles getting repetitive too quick, but I seriously thought that everything was unexpected and I didn't know what was exactly going to happen next. I liked that.

Once again, late to the party and hoarding the good low-carb snax...

I'm making my own video on Metroid and this is part of what I have to say about Other M. It has a few outstanding flaws but it is hardly a bad game. My major problems are the pixel-hunt scenes and the fact that enemies don't drop health and weapon pickups like in every other game. As far as the story scenes, I just skip them and go straight back to the action.

There are people who like Sonic 06? Where, Bizarro World?

There are people who like Sonic 06? Where, Bizarro World?

If you've ever been to Sonic News Network (where everyone there is both a little crazy and a little too obsessed with Sonic to ever give up on him... to put it simple they just don't want to believe Sonic '06 was a bad game so they say it was pretty good and that I'm just bashing it around no good reason... what a hilarious joke)...

If you've ever been to Sonic News Network (where everyone there is both a little crazy and a little too obsessed with Sonic to ever give up on him... to put it simple they just don't want to believe Sonic '06 was a bad game so they say it was pretty good and that I'm just bashing it around no good reason... what a hilarious joke)...

Sonic's the man!

I only played the demo for 06 and never went further sooooo as far as I know i have no opinion about it... :)

I only played the demo for 06 and never went further sooooo as far as I know i have no opinion about it... :)

Same, but uh... you don't really need to play it to know how bad it is.

Videos over YouTube proved that for me.

And then came Game Grumps, so then I ended up loving the game because it was so bad and Game Grumps were so funny doing it.

JimPlaysGames did a good cold LP of Star Control 2.

Star Control 2 cold LPs are great - it's almost like exploring it again for the first time. You can see which clues they pick up on, which things they brute-force, and what they really get stuck on.

And of course you usually end up a little :banghead:.

See, I think everybody just thought it was way too different from the other ones. When you said "Samus was almost unrecognizable", I mean, I almost don't care. It still had a sense of Metroid to me. Metroid Prime series will forever be my favorite, but Other M seriously was a good game. I think I get your idea of battles getting repetitive too quick, but I seriously thought that everything was unexpected and I didn't know what was exactly going to happen next. I liked that.

Look, nobody is complaining about the fact that they tried to do something different with the game or give Samus more depth as a character, but the problem is that none of the changes actually improved the game. Resident Evil 4 was a huge departure from previous games, but almost everything they changed was for the better, and still holds up as my favorite game in the series.

What I'm saying is that if you're going to retcon or otherwise change integral aspects of a game, you had better have a DAMN GOOD EXCUSE to do so. Other M does not. Also, note that pretty much all the complaints pertain to the plot, characters and writing.

For example, when she finally comes face to face with Ridley, she starts crying, freezes up, and has to be saved by someone else. This is pretty much a 100% against established canon (She has fought Ridley multiple times before at that point, and is an experienced bounty hunter used to working solo), so it places extra emphasis on the significance of this scene. So what are the writers trying to say here? That when push comes to shove, women turn into blubbering messes and have to be bailed out by big strong men?

This particular scene is even more damning if you consider that Samus' femininity is constantly brought up as one of the central themes of the game: if you're trying to make some kind of profound statement on gender/femininity, why would you include such an awful scene?

Another huge issue I and many others have with this game is that it changed the relation between player and avatar for really no reason. If you think about it, previous Metroid games always emphasized solitude and exploration of an alien planet, and very much made you feel like you really *are* Samus, especially with the sparse amount of cutscenes.

Other M took this and threw it all away in order to make Samus less of a player avatar and more like a character in a movie. Again, this isn't inherently a bad thing, but the new elements will have to be at least as good or original as the ones you took away, if not better. And again, Other M just fails at this.

While a lot of the plot/writing of Other M might be 'original' within the confines of the series, it actually borrows WAY MORE from established sci-fi franchises than previous games did, and plotwise ends up feeling like a halfassed Halo/Mass Effect/Aliens mishmash.

In many ways, you could compare the Metroid franchise to Legend of Zelda. Imagine if the next Zelda game had Link as a voiced protagonist in a LotR/GoT-esque plot. That would be Other M. Sure, it would be unexpected and perhaps even 'refreshing', but it most likely wouldn't be very good.

Edited by Tensei

Actually, she fought him three times before Other M. The first time they met she didn't fight but saw him kill his family, the second time, didn't he kill the chozo adoptive family? She fought him for the first time in 1 (and mecha ridley in Zero Mission), and twice on Zebes in Super Metroid, where she freaking BLEW UP THE PLANET after she killed him.

To be honest, Ridley coming back from the dead once more, it would be a bit shocking to say the least.

Throw in the fact that Samus kinda spared Bunny Ridley a couple of times, which he paid back by killing a lot of people, yeah it would be traumatizing a bit.

Don't forget, Primes didn't happen in the official canon.

In many ways, you could compare the Metroid franchise to Legend of Zelda. Imagine if the next Zelda game had Link as a voiced protagonist in a LotR/GoT-esque plot. That would be Other M. Sure, it would be unexpected and perhaps even 'refreshing', but it most likely wouldn't be very good.

Ok, I do totally get your point. I still liked Other M, and this is just my opinion, but everything you said totally makes sense. I still enjoyed the game myself, but I guess I understand why so many others didn't.

Yeah, a Zelda game having voiceovers just isn't right... lol if it was that way from the *start*, that would've been a different story. But it wasn't that way from the start, so it just wouldn't seem right. And I don't think anybody wants to hear Link talk again after... uh... "EXCUSE ME PRINCESS"... that.

Same with Mario. Maybe that's partially the reason some had an issue with Sunshine. Because it included dialogue? I don't know. I enjoyed that game too. The controls were ridiculously frustrating, though, and I sorta gave up on the game. It was also smaller than 64 and was really different. The really different part sorta didn't matter to me, but it being smaller than 64 was just sorta dumb. The game would've been great if the controls were handled better. It was just really frustrating. Especially all those special secret levels. -_-

Edited by Garrett Williamson

• 3 months later...

Well, I don't know how many other people care or have noticed, but Game Grumps made a huge change in one day, and honestly, from the way I see it for the worse.

For one, Jon left because he wants to spend more time doing JonTron rather than Game Grumps. Because of this, he was replaced with a guy named Danny. This was hard to deal with, but I thought I could live with it.

But then, the worst comes in. They now are adding in another half to Game Grumps, called Steam Train (which honestly should've been its own channel). Steam Train is Danny and this guy named Ross. So Arin isn't even there. And I've already tried to watch the first episode, and basically to sum it up, the two of them are like 8 year olds trying to be funny. It just isn't working. They are trying way to hard and it's awful.

I think what is most devastating is that Sonic '06 was actually quite an awesome LP with Arin and Jon, and I have a pretty strong feeling that--as close as they were to beating it--they probably won't finish it since Jon has left. Which is honestly unfortunate. The Sonic '06 LP has got to be one of my favorite LPs ever just for how stupid and hilarious it was. And for it to be nearly finished and then left is really quite sad. I really was enjoying that LP.

So pretty much, from how I see it, RIP Game Grumps. :/

Well, I don't know how many other people care or have noticed, but Game Grumps made a huge change in one day, and honestly, from the way I see it for the worse.

For one, Jon left because he wants to spend more time doing JonTron rather than Game Grumps. Because of this, he was replaced with a guy named Danny. This was hard to deal with, but I thought I could live with it.

But then, the worst comes in. They now are adding in another half to Game Grumps, called Steam Train (which honestly should've been its own channel). Steam Train is Danny and this guy named Ross. So Arin isn't even there. And I've already tried to watch the first episode, and basically to sum it up, the two of them are like 8 year olds trying to be funny. It just isn't working. They are trying way to hard and it's awful.

I think what is most devastating is that Sonic '06 was actually quite an awesome LP with Arin and Jon, and I have a pretty strong feeling that--as close as they were to beating it--they probably won't finish it since Jon has left. Which is honestly unfortunate. The Sonic '06 LP has got to be one of my favorite LPs ever just for how stupid and hilarious it was. And for it to be nearly finished and then left is really quite sad. I really was enjoying that LP.

So pretty much, from how I see it, RIP Game Grumps. :/

so don't watch steam train.

also jon clearly wasn't paying attention or trying to care about the new games they were playing and it was kind of stupid. he was gold at first but it definitely wasn't going to get better from there.