Let's Plays

Magnetic Ether

so don't watch steam train.

also jon clearly wasn't paying attention or trying to care about the new games they were playing and it was kind of stupid. he was gold at first but it definitely wasn't going to get better from there.

Hahaha I'm not planning to watch Steam Train. And it is true, it slowly started to become noticeable that Jon was really losing interest, which is obviously a big part of why he's not doing it anymore. He probably just got sick of doing it and wanted to do more JonTron and so there ya go. And I totally love that. I love JonTron.

I think the biggest nono here was that Game Grumps let everything change in 3 hours. I think everyone sorta needed to take it in for a little bit first, rather than giving them everything at once.

I would've been completely fine with it just being Arin, but of course that wouldn't work because part of the fun is hearing Jon and Arin just talking to each other about random crap that has nothing to do with the game hahaha

Yeah Jon lately doesn't seem to ever even pay attention to what was happening on the screen (maybe some major ADD or something) and has just been babbling on about movies and broadway shows and other things I am not too interested in. I liked Arin's focus more. Their banter back and forth though was certainly enjoyable regardless

This Danny guy I dunno. He is not super great, but at least he pays attention to the game I guess. The Steam Train show (with a guy who has even less talent) is ridiculously bad and should not be hogging into the GameGrump main channel.

Edited by Crowbar Man

So i haven't been following what's been discussed in this thread... but I'm curious if anyone can recommend any rpg let's plays right now, or perhaps recommend a favourite LPer of theirs... I haven't watched a good LP in a while and I'd like to get back into it. I find it relaxing when I get home from school to kick back and watch a good commentary of a cool game that perhaps I'll pick up in the near future.

Cheers!

GameGrumps is the only "let's play" I watch. I found out about Game Grumps after following Arin's animation as Egoraptor on newgrounds. I watched all of JonTron's videos after finding out about him from discovering Game Grumps. I found them great and thought they were well done, I would like more.

Game Grumps is not a company, the fans aren't paying for it. I just can't believe how much demanding there is of people that have been giving away free entertainment for years by the people who have been entertained.

It boggles my mind that "fans" feel so entitled that they try to boss the artists around. The same thing happened with a newgrounds artist Alvin Earthworm with his Super Mario Bros Z series. He created 8 awesome episodes and his life got in the way of making it, he lost energy that he once had for the series. He officially stopped making it with an apology letter to his fans and how did they react? with anger, threats, and insults.

Ridiculous! Alvin Earthworm owed them nothing, and Arin and Jon owe their fans nothing. It was an awesome year, and if Steam Train isn't good, the numbers will show it, same goes for Game Grumps. I hope anyone who is an artist giving free talent finds something more satisfying goes for it, and their fan's would wish them the best.

I guess free entertainment just doesn't cut it, especially when you're good.

GameGrumps is the only "let's play" I watch. I found out about Game Grumps after following Arin's animation as Egoraptor on newgrounds. I watched all of JonTron's videos after finding out about him from discovering Game Grumps. I found them great and thought they were well done, I would like more.

Game Grumps is not a company, the fans aren't paying for it. I just can't believe how much demanding there is of people that have been giving away free entertainment for years by the people who have been entertained.

It boggles my mind that "fans" feel so entitled that they try to boss the artists around. The same thing happened with a newgrounds artist Alvin Earthworm with his Super Mario Bros Z series. He created 8 awesome episodes and his life got in the way of making it, he lost energy that he once had for the series. He officially stopped making it with an apology letter to his fans and how did they react? with anger, threats, and insults.

Ridiculous! Alvin Earthworm owed them nothing, and Arin and Jon owe their fans nothing. It was an awesome year, and if Steam Train isn't good, the numbers will show it, same goes for Game Grumps. I hope anyone who is an artist giving free talent finds something more satisfying goes for it, and their fan's would wish them the best.

I guess free entertainment just doesn't cut it, especially when you're good.

Welcome to the media industry.

Game Grumps sort of has become a company. We get to watch all their stuff for free, but I can almost guarantee you that Game Grumps is their living. They make a good amount of money off of that stuff just by the viewers who watch it for free.

So in theory, if the fans don't like what they are doing at all and they all unsubscribe and the view rate goes down a whole bunch, then they are losing a lot of money that way. Trying to YouTube as a career is seriously hard, unless you're like smosh or nigahiga or PewDiePie or something.

But I do agree with you about the way Game Grumps' fans act. And they've been like this for a long time. They are very demanding and jerkish. Game Grumps was fine, but they sorta gathered a jerkish crowd.

I just looked at the subs and they lost 8,000+ in the past 12 hours. Ouch.

I don't know if anyone mentioned him, but Markiplier makes really nice LP's, mostly of scary games. He's very funny and has a great voice. He's really worth a check: http://www.youtube.com/user/markiplierGAME

Oh dude markiplier is great. He's like the alternative to PewDiePie, and I think he's way better than PewDiePie, honestly.

So scanning through the thread (and missing out on an awesome discussion on why Other M has shitty writing), I saw that somebody had pointed out that a lot of LPers playing horror games tend to go over the top with their reactions. That's partially why I don't like a lot of LPers, just because they force their commentary instead of acting naturally.

So a question is...do you know of any videos where people are reacting normally? Not forcing it, not hamming it up, just saying the kinds of things that they would say to friends in the room? I mean videos like this, which is not so much a LP than a clip from a longplay somebody made while chatting with his buddies on Skype. Natural freakouts are a hell of a lot more hilarious than the forced ones.

So scanning through the thread (and missing out on an awesome discussion on why Other M has shitty writing), I saw that somebody had pointed out that a lot of LPers playing horror games tend to go over the top with their reactions. That's partially why I don't like a lot of LPers, just because they force their commentary instead of acting naturally.

So a question is...do you know of any videos where people are reacting normally? Not forcing it, not hamming it up, just saying the kinds of things that they would say to friends in the room? I mean videos like this, which is not so much a LP than a clip from a longplay somebody made while chatting with his buddies on Skype. Natural freakouts are a hell of a lot more hilarious than the forced ones.

Like Chern was stating, there is markiplier. He is a bit fake, but he seems a bit more real than PewDiePie, and even if he is faking it, I think he does it rather well. When he gets mad, he reacts the same way I would, and he doesn't try too hard to be funny. He just is funny.

That's the biggy with LPers for me. When they are trying too hard to be funny. When an LPer forces comedy, it sounds like an 8 year old trying to make an adult laugh. It just doesn't work. And this is what I was not so happy about with the new Steam Train thing on the Game Grumps channel. They are trying way too hard.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

(double post because I'm just so awful)

So it's been confirmed that the Sonic '06 LP that was originally being done by Jon and Arin on Game Grumps is now over, and Part 108 is as far as they got, which is super duper unfortunate, because, for one, I absolutely loved that LP just for how bad it was and their overdramatic and fake reactions to so much of the crap (some of it was for real, though... "WHAT IS THIS"). For two, Jon himself kept saying in episodes that they were going to finish the game, so it was actually sorta heartbreaking when you feel you'll finally see them finish that buttload-of-crap Silver campaign and get to the final story and freak out over how bad it is and see what they thought about the end of the game, and then know that you won't ever see that happen. I think the most painful part is how *close* they were to being done. They were probably like 12 parts away from being done (they were already at 108, so 12 would've been nothing).

If they had stopped at like part 7 or something, no one would find this such a huge deal. And it is simply just an LP, this is true. But it's been one of my favorites. I hardly ever watch a whole entire LP series (really an LP episode alone for that matter) all the way through and actually wait for the next one. Sonic '06 with Game Grumps has probably been the only time I ever did that. And I believe a lot of their popularity probably came from that LP. Everything gained them attention, but I feel the Sonic '06 LP especially gained them a larger audience. I could be entirely wrong, but that's what I think. I do know that the "WHAT IS THIS" segment from one of the episodes became one of Game Grumps' biggest LP moments in their history so far, though.

Personally, I'm really enjoying the new Game Grumps. Yeah, the initial shock of Jon suddenly dropping out is still wearing off (and was a really big surprise considering both he and Arin mentioned in some earlier episodes that they had gone through the process of legally becoming business partners and co-owners of the "company" of Game Grumps,) but Dan and Arin have a great dynamic together than I can only see improving, possibly becoming as refined as the chemistry Jon and Arin had. Also, it's nice to see some actual GOOD gameplay from on Grumps once in awhile, and Dan is kicking some ass with SMB2 and Punch-Out!!.

As for Steam Train: it's rough, but it has had a few amusing moments for me. Ross and Dan don't play off of each other as well as Dan does with Arin, but the show is just starting out and I don't think they've really had the chance to make it their own yet. I see potential though, once they get more comfortable with it.

Personally, I'm really enjoying the new Game Grumps.

Yeah, same here, there is definitely a change but different people are going to have different chemistry. I'm enjoying SMB2 although this new season of Game Grumps might have a few less GG (f)animated clips. way more swearing with Dan. I don't mind at all seeing that's how I think/talk but some might.

It's good to see them play the game well, I was really frustrated watching when they didn't even take time to read instructions for Mario Golf. That's a fun game if you know how to play or how to read the meters.

But overall, I'm mostly surprised that it was Jon who left the show and not Arin. I don't know what Jon does but I know Arin is an animator so I would think he would leave to work on his craft.

perhaps this is a segway to having steam train take over? so Jon bows out, Dan replacing him. Steam Train introduced then after a few months/games Arin bows out, leaving steam train as the channels attraction. That way it's not 100% all at once switch. just a late night/early morning thought.

• 3 weeks later...