Point of "Let's Play!"

XPRTNovice

At the end of any console generation everything becomes dirt cheap. I usually pick up a refurbished system and go on a spree for all the games I missed that I really wanted to play. I'm planning on doing the same for the PS3 just as soon as a massive price drop hits. Which better be before Tales of Xillia releases.

No sense in ruining a game for yourself by listening to someone whine the whole way through it :) Just be patient.

i want to do this too there were lots of good games on ps3 i wanted to play.

i got to play mgs4 though :3

Also, on topic, I had a lady friend in college who didn't even play video games, but liked watching playthroughs of Bioshock etc. She never could explain to me why, she was just like 'I dunno I like doing it.' always struck me as very unusual, but clearly there's some appeal there.

At the end of any console generation everything becomes dirt cheap. I usually pick up a refurbished system and go on a spree for all the games I missed that I really wanted to play. I'm planning on doing the same for the PS3 just as soon as a massive price drop hits. Which better be before Tales of Xillia releases.

No sense in ruining a game for yourself by listening to someone whine the whole way through it :) Just be patient.

That's a good point, if one preferred playing the game in question himself. I, for one, just ain't willing to invest the time and money. Indeed, there are some games that I feel would be ruined if I just watched a LP like you said, but they tend to be the ones I already know I'm gonna buy.

I like the ones that turn the game (or series) around so it's not just a simple walkthrough. For instance, that awesome Animal Crossing LP where things went crazy and ended up being a descent into madness... all because the LPer added a tiny bit of their own imagination into the story. From there, it went on to something completely different and resulted in one hell of an entertaining read.

When you're familiar with a game enough, you can understand and even appreciate the humor behind mocking/mixing it up with other games. I did Pokeable Ops because I found it funny how both Metal Gear and Pokémon both have opponents that sprout a "!" over their heads when they spot you. That led to a very different take on what was otherwise a very basic plot and setting.

You still run into a lot of bad LP's, though.

Yes, most LPs suck, but then, most of everything sucks.

I like the ones that turn the game (or series) around so it's not just a simple walkthrough. For instance, that awesome Animal Crossing LP where things went crazy and ended up being a descent into madness... all because the LPer added a tiny bit of their own imagination into the story. From there, it went on to something completely different and resulted in one hell of an entertaining read.

Yes, most LPs suck, but then, most of everything sucks.

I freaking loved the Animal Crossing LP. I wasn't even sure how an Animal Crossing LP would have worked when I first saw that, but that one worked out well.

And I didn't mean to sound so pessimistic about this, lol. :P I kind of regret saying that about the SA forums because they are actually really good LP's, not really "bad" or anything like that. I just still find it hard to find ones where I'm really enjoying myself like the AC one or maybe slowbeefs Metroid Prime LP for example.

I might just be picky.

what's the point of playing soccer? what's the point of going for a bike ride? what's the point of sledding down a snowy hill? I don't see the point of asking such a question. You can ask this same question about anything really.

Err, yeah, but as you can see from the mutiple explanations here, it can be answered. Someone who doesn't understand why 10 people would want to run around in a field and kick a ball around might ask "What's the point of playing soccer?" To which soccer players might reply. "I love the structure of the game. I love the exercise. The teamwork." etc.

As someone who doesn't understand why you'd want to watch anyone play a video game, I asked the question. I'm satisfied with the many reasons, and concede that, of course, one's hobbies are beyond judgment of others. I still don't think I'll ever watch a LP, but now I kind of get why other people might.

Jeez, quit video conferencing, Teresa!

...okay no, that's just me being too lazy to look up what letters were in your username

anyway how about that Castlevania III Game Grumps

I'm usually able to not care about their play style but that combined with their comments, I cannot watch them play CV3 anymore.

I love Twitch TV, and the fact that good gamers can make a living from playing games they enjoy. I watch a stream pretty much every day, just to see what people are playing and if they're any good. That said, there are plenty of people who are terrible at the game they're playing, or painfully unfunny, or both. The main appeal for me when watching is to see someone who is significantly better than me play a game, hence why I enjoy watching the pro StarCraft 2/HoN gamers. I turn off if I get frustrated with how bad they are at the game and I know I could do better.

If you consider gaming as a sport of sorts - it's certainly competitive, whether you're playing against another human or the game itself - then the question can be extended to anything. Why watch people play football if you enjoy playing yourself? Why watch athletics? Why watch videos of people skateboarding? It's all about entertainment, and if you're interested in a particular game or subject, you are much more likely to be entertained by someone engaging in that activity, and especially moreso if they are good at what they do, like the top footballers, athletes and skateboarders. Even if they're not that good, I guess it's still entertaining to some people, which is why bad football teams still have fans :)

Sometimes watching someone play through the game reduces the stress of having to go through the less desirable gameplay elements such as grinding in an RPG. Also, sometimes people just want to see a particular part of a game over again without having to play up to that point.

At least, that's when I have used LPs - I only watched a few, and often briefly (one for nostalgia reasons, and another just to hear the music).

I started watching them when they first started but don't watch them much.

What surprised me was when I came home for Christmas me 7 year old niece was watching them.

My sister tries to screen them to make sure they don't curse. I've noticed some LPers are aware of their audience and rarely let it slip. I do wish though that some would let you know if their LPs are pg material.

I also surmised that's where she learned the phrase "awesome sauce" which she used exclusively during the holidays lol. She also said "I hurd u like Mudkips" to me innocently while playing Pokemon. Imagine the look on my face. I showed my sis awkwardly the meaning to give her an FYI of the culture so she's more able to screen. But lol.

I like Retsupurae, who specialize in making fun of bad LPs. There are lots and lots of terrible LPs so there is plenty of material for them.

The only LP I watch regularly is Game Grumps really, because I was a fan of both Egoraptor and Jon Tron before they made their own LP channel.

As far as a point, well, whats the point of anything on Youtube? People make it because they want to and/or other people watch it.

Obviously there is a huge following of gamers (or non gamers) who like watching people play videogames, so much that feature is being built into the next generation of consoles (at least PS4) and there are huge services like Twitch TV out there providing outlet for it. It can be enjoyable if the person is skilled or funny and if the LP itself is of quality. It can be enjoyable for those who aren't collectors and want to watch games they've never played and will probably never play, etc.

Edited by Crowbar Man

For me, it's all about comedy. I just want to hear something that is related to video games that will make me laugh. I watched a video on YouTube just last night called something like, "This is how not to play MGS2." I think it was scripted but despite being all alone in my house, I was cracking up out loud. That was a good time.

I watch the Game Grumps when I'm doing things like washing the dishes or cooking. I can't actually play games while doing those things and since I don't watch TV it makes a good replacement. I watch it for the comedy and the fact that I don't really know many people in real life who can give in depth analysis of SNES era video games. I actually can relate to these guys unlike most people who I don't have anything in common with.

I'm with AoJ; but additionally for me it's very similar to the experience of going over to a friend's place and playing video games whilst shooting the shit, basically. Their reactions may be exaggerated compared to a single person playing a game, but put several friends together to play a game, and I'd bet a decent amount of money that you would have a similar experience.

people tend to exaggerate stuff when they're around other people anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Ladles and jelly spoons, I've jumped on the Let's Play train with a playthrough of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

I had to break it into ten parts due to a fifteen minute video limit, all of which follows an introductory vid. Why'd I do it? Well, what else am I going to do with my time? Be productive in some manner? *Snork!*

Please enjoy, and then feel free to tell me just how badly I've missed the entire point of Let's Playing or how I can do it better for the next one [barring the acquisition of better video equipment which I can't afford] or precisely how much I bore you, your families and your pets.