*NO* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 'Roof Is on Fire'

OceansAndrew

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: PsyNES

Your real name: Jari Jouppi

Your email address:

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=20309

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

Name of arrangement: Roof is on Fire

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Stage 1 theme / Fire!!

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: I saw Byproduct asking @ scenesat IRC channel, if anyone would like to join TMNT2 album project. I asked if I could join, and he said yes.

So I listened the OST and I choose stage 1 to remix. In few days I made it already to final versions of the remix and I was happy what I've made.

Album version has some clips from TMNT cartoon, you can listen it from my soundcloud. I made this with Renoise and used some VST Plugins.

------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 months later...

Vig's right on. This is a fun arrangement (love the fast-paced nature to it!), but right now it's just a bit overcluttered. Doing some adjustments, like the bass, and cleaning things up will do the trick nicely.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm completely sold on the tempo changes, but they do add some interesting elements to the mix, so I think it might be more of a personal thing than anything else.

Definitely want to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

The energy was pretty strong, and the arrangement, while cover-ish, was personalized to the core and varied very nicely. The ear candy here was awesome, and this even made some of the fakest brass samples in the world sound cool; you get a medal for that!

:41-on sounded flooded. The lead at :48 was mixed too quietly, and the soundscape sounded noticeably cramped. Overall though, I don't get these NOs. I'd be glad to have a million strong arrangements mixed this way, there's no dealbreakers here. Vig's not wrong about the bass overpowering things, and the mixing could be adjusted, yes, but IMO we could post this as is with no problems. The balance among the parts was strong enough to hear the leads and supporting instrumentation clearly; everything could still be heard fairly well to me.

I'm lovin' it, Jari, this was just an amazing arrangement. If this doesn't make it because of the mixing, just tweak a few knobs and send it on back. I think we shouldn't be holding this back if this was the final version we could get; it's letting the perfect be the enemy of the good on this one.

YES

No, I gotta side with the NOs on this. The arrangement has energy and good ideas, I'll give it that, but I was not as taken with the instruments used. They felt pretty functional overall, without a lot of character. And the fake brass still sounded fake, but if that kind of thing can work, it's in a song like this. The mixing as noted was way on the bass side, which hurt it overall. With better mixing, I might see a pass, but I wasn't 100% with the instrumentation either. A great start though.

NO (resubmit)