Grape Garden (Acoustic Guitar) - Kirby's Adventure

Ando

Hello! :) Let's just go ahead and get the Tindeck link out of the way: http://tindeck.com/listen/cqsk

This is my first real attempt at recording anything and I've no formal training whatsoever, so I'm primarily looking for feedback regarding recording quality and mastering. I did some research beforehand, so now I'd like to know how well I applied those things and where I could stand to improve. (Let's ignore the fact that my timing is nowhere near as good as I thought it was, haha.)

I wonder if maybe the rhythm guitar is too loud, but when I turn it down it sounds too weak, so I'm really not sure what to do about that.

This is very much a theme I'd like to revisit at some point, so any and all advice will be much appreciated. :) Thanks!

You can always do some light compression on the rhythm guitar if you feel like the dynamic range of it is too large (+/- 10dB is a little much). Yes, it is a tiny bit too loud.

Too short, needs more expansion. Might be too conservative. Needs more ambience since it sounds dry.

Sounds like straight room recording. If you can do DI recording, that could benefit you, or not.

This sounds very nice. I like the very richness of the guitar.

Arrangement wise the song could have some other acoustic guitar dubs to make some other harmonies and rhythms and maybe even extend the melody to some of your own original improvisations. Feel free to experiment with the theme and make it your own.

The guitar sounds very nice in tone and texture. Have fun with the theme and make it your own. Some even foot tappings on wood could do the song a very sit around a circle and play guitar vibe.

Edited by darkbrandflake11

Ignore everything that was said about putting a compressor on the acoustic guitars. I'll only use that sometimes if I'm having trouble getting an acoustic lead to stick out through a very thick arrangement, which this is not. x_x

Also stay away from recording the acoustic guitar with direct-input (if it is electric/acoustic). That will just give you a scratchy, unnatural tone which is not preferable for acoustic recordings in my opinion. Of course everything has its place, but solo acoustic guitar will benefit from a nicer, more organic and natural sound.

I pretty much just came by to say to ignore the other feedback, haha... well be careful using noise gates on your tracks too. You'll get some weird artifacts from that, just record in a VERY quiet room. Apply some reverb to your tracks afterwards but don't overdo it. There's a line between a tasteful amount of reverb, and a "Help me I'm drowning in Kirby's excess fat" amount. ;-)

Ignore everything that was said about putting a compressor on the acoustic guitars. I'll only use that sometimes if I'm having trouble getting an acoustic lead to stick out through a very thick arrangement, which this is not. x_x

lol, notice I said "light" compression. By light I do mean very light, to not ruin the timbre. Essentially, I'm thinking of something similar to hard limiting (in case it creates any confusion, hard limiting, at least on Adobe Audition, is cutting off the excess amplitude).

The DI suggestion was just a "try it once and see how it goes" type of thing. I don't have a DI cable, so it's just speculation on the safe side based on what other people (Dj Mystix, zircon, etc.) have gotten with DI recordings, at least, on electric guitar. It seemed intuitive to me.

Edited by timaeus222

You shouldn't need to put a limiter on an acoustic guitar either, regardless of how light it is. :-P Move back a bit from the mic if you're getting too much pick scratch recording in. Acoustic guitar can't be treated the same as electric guitar because they are quite different, one being pure and one being electric. :-D You shouldn't put compression or limiters on heavy rhythms either. Playing through the amp will compress the tone enough as it is, depending on how much distortion there is. :-P

You shouldn't need to put a limiter on an acoustic guitar either, regardless of how light it is. :-P Move back a bit from the mic if you're getting too much pick scratch recording in. Acoustic guitar can't be treated the same as electric guitar because they are quite different, one being pure and one being electric. :-D You shouldn't put compression or limiters on heavy rhythms either. Playing through the amp will compress the tone enough as it is, depending on how much distortion there is. :-P

Of course. I probably should have mentioned that my suggestions were during the extreme cases of THIS IS TOO THICK MUST Y00Z COMPRESSIONZ TO FIT. :P

No worries; personally, I don't actually do that all that often either. ;)

Edited by timaeus222