Final Fantasy VII: Voices of the Lifestream - History

zircon

yanno, I actually thought that Zircon was joking. I am not upset or mad that he pushed it back either. I just thought he was joking because someone made the comment of him doing that, and then it happened. I figured he'd still release it, but like, @ some point during the day or around midnight, kinda like, HA! I got you!

can't wait to hear it guys.

And then he's going to push the release date back. NOOOO!!!

10 Character.

how can you push back a bunch of mp3s that just sounds like laziness taking hold of ya
Yeah, you're right, they're just being lazy. It's not as if they have torrents, mirrors, sites, promotions, testing and their lives to deal with.

indeed. the only real reason it's been pushed back is because we've all been thoroughly preoccupied scratching ourselves.

It's not as if they have torrents, mirrors, sites, promotions, testing and their lives to deal with.

torrents and mirrors would take a day or two at most, all those other things are irrelevant.

my my, the fanboys are getting quite restless, heaven forbid someone denies their addiction. i say you guys ignore them, i have waited for a while for this, and i can wait a little bit longer. I know it will be worth it.

the biggest fanboys kiss the most ass

Actually setting up a torrent shouldn't take a whole lot of time or effort (I think a Bound Together torrent was created within hours of its release), but coordinating the release with the people who run the tracker(s?) might be harder.

Websites and promotion aren't irrelevant, but I'll agree that they are less important. VotL has already had plenty of the latter, and as for the former...Bound Together almost didn't have one to speak of, and it was still hugely successful. The torrents, mirrors, CD covers, etc. all came later with the help of the fans, who were eager to help and be involved with the project themselves in some way, if not in the music aspect. Because in the end, it's the music that matters, and it ends up promoting itself.

Still, I do understand OCR's fixation with releasing things all at once in one shiny package with the hopes of it making more of an impact. And who knows, it might. But I personally will be going straight to the torrent link.

Websites and promotion aren't irrelevant, but I'll agree that they are less important.

I dissagree. Since OCR is expanding all the time and becoming avaliable to more and more people (with for example VGL and Otakon as new medias to spread our joy) a website and lots of promotion is very important. If we wanted to make an arrangement album just for the forums we probably would, but this is the modern OCR. We're trying to attract a larger audience nowadays, and VotL (being the biggest OCR release in history) is certainly something we want perfect and known worldwide.

(Disclaimer: We = me really. This is my opinion, not the site staff or the VotL remixers. But I think many will agree)

Still, I do understand OCR's fixation with releasing things all at once in one shiny package with the hopes of it making more of an impact. And who knows, it might. But I personally will be going straight to the torrent link.

I bet you will, I will too. But I find it hard to believe that people who aren't that involved with OCR will check the forums or the frontpage and just hit up a torrent just like that without kmnowing more :)

I dissagree. Since OCR is expanding all the time and becoming avaliable to more and more people (with for example VGL and Otakon as new medias to spread our joy) a website and lots of promotion is very important. If we wanted to make an arrangement album just for the forums we probably would, but this is the modern OCR. We're trying to attract a larger audience nowadays, and VotL (being the biggest OCR release in history) is certainly something we want perfect and known worldwide.

(Disclaimer: We = me really. This is my opinion, not the site staff or the VotL remixers. But I think many will agree)

I bet you will, I will too. But I find it hard to believe that people who aren't that involved with OCR will check the forums or the frontpage and just hit up a torrent just like that without kmnowing more :)

AnotherSoundscape is quite correct.

As for you so-called "fanboys" out there, cut out the crap. I've been waiting since the very beginning of this project, since zircon first spoke about it publicly. That was a year and a half ago. I think I've been very patient, yes, I was disappointed when it didn't come out on Friday, so what? If he says it needs to be done completely correctly, then let him work his magic and let us wait.

Yes, I'm a fan. I proudly admit that. Just remember, all good things take time.

As for you so-called "fanboys" out there, cut out the crap. I've been waiting since the very beginning of this project, since zircon first spoke about it publicly. That was a year and a half ago. I think I've been very patient, yes, I was disappointed when it didn't come out on Friday, so what? If he says it needs to be done completely correctly, then let him work his magic and let us wait.

Yes, I'm a fan. I proudly admit that. Just remember, all good things take time.

This might not be what I was talking about.. but.. ok :)

A few reasons for the delay - just so everyone knows...

* Torrent creation involves uploading all the 2.2gb+ of material, which takes some time, but it also involves coordinating with the person running the tracker - in OCR's case this person is somewhat hard to get ahold of.

* Some songs had mastering problems that needed to be fixed (in several instances, the artist volunteered to do so.)

* We didn't get the absolute full 45 tracks - with titles - until the 4th, which left little time to formulate an intelligent track list. Figuring out the best order to place the songs is a delicate process as we're not just going in the original OST chronological order (though it will still make sense, chronologically.)

* Press and promotion. Some won't think this is important, but as it has been noted, VotL is the biggest project in OCR history, and it is focused on one of the most popular games of all time. Additionally the standard of quality is VERY high and djpretzel and myself believe it deserves as much attention from the media as any professional arrange album.

* Encoding and properly tagging 45 songs, then double/triple checking the tags, also takes time. The MP3s alone are over 200mb so all that uploading/downloading isn't instantaneous.

And so forth...

I will have a final date for you soon.