Tropes vs. Women / #GamerGate Conspiracies

Brandon Strader

I'm talking about falsifiability, guys.

"Popper stresses the problem of demarcation—distinguishing the scientific from the unscientific—and makes falsifiability the demarcation criterion, such that what is unfalsifiable is classified as unscientific, and the practice of declaring an unfalsifiable theory to be scientifically true is pseudoscience."

3 hours ago, Native Jovian said:

I'm talking about falsifiability, guys.

"Popper stresses the problem of demarcation—distinguishing the scientific from the unscientific—and makes falsifiability the demarcation criterion, such that what is unfalsifiable is classified as unscientific, and the practice of declaring an unfalsifiable theory to be scientifically true is pseudoscience."

This is a largely semantic misunderstanding between y'all... it's the difference between an assertion that cannot be disproven *now,* with current tools & technology, or at least has not been disproven *yet*, as compared to an assertion that is framed as being inherently unfalsifiable, independent of ANY obtainable knowledge, e.g. "we are living in an undetectable computer simulation." or "purple is prettier than blue"... or "women make better leaders than men"... the last example being unfalsifiable due to the subjectivity (better how?) of the language employed, which I believe was the original complaint in this case...

11 hours ago, Neblix said:

You can't start on a premise that you can't disprove something and then derive conclusions from that.

And yet, religion ;)