Recommendations for Dark, Experimental DNB IDM?

By late this year I'm going to be starting a new commercial album under a different name and I'm hoping to do a major departure from the sound I'm using to doing. The record label I'm on was extremely generous to re-release my ambient, ESPERS, record, as they're primarily an IDM label, I want to return the favor with a genuine IDM album and I'm wanting to do the opposite of ESPERS with a really hyperkinetic, aggressive and dark sound.

At first, I was interested in doing something like Autechre and Aphex Twin, but I started diving deeper into the sound, I don't think it will appeal to modern electronica enthusiasts as it would not be memorable or exciting. I've decided to go in more of a Squarepusher territory with more Drum and Bass and Drill and Bass experimenting, but even then that might be too light and melodic to fit the project feel.

So I was wondering if anyone here might recommend some good, modern experimental IDM with a lot of hyper and aggressive action going on so I can try to pinpoint down a better muse. I'm not looking to do a lot of ambient backing for it and I'm trying to focus on seeing how creative and insane I can make the tracks without making it too experimental to get into. Lofty goals, but I thought I'd try anyway.

Here's the closest to what I want to do that I've found so far:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VxDNv1Ux9M&feature=player_detailpage#t=0s

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VxDNv1Ux9M&feature=player_detailpage#t=2099s

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RkTktX3WssI#t=1999s

-

-

- a lot of these tracks have kinda the backing I'm looking for, but its dubstep instead of DnB and I ain't doin' dubstep.

-

Granted some of these are not DnB, but they're aggressive, hyper beats and electronica which is more precisely what I'm looking for.

Any help relevant to the discussion would be appreciated. Thank you!

Alot of whats popular today involves the similar procedure of very big drums and heavy distorted synths. When it comes to Autechre, Aphex Twin and Squarepusher, they come from a completely different school of thought and electronic music composition. In a sense, they compose electronic music. It is the sound of electronics. Where as the new EDM scene is less compositional and more about recycling a specific idea, and ultimately is about pleasing more groups of people together giving them all something to dance to, so it sticks to whats more popular. In a sense the stage that most electronic music is in as of now, is the same stage that rock went through in the 80s, concept wise. So if you are going to write IDM, you will need to first see how many people are able to understand the most experimental and non-conventional songs, and then from there make your decisions on the sound of the album.

Edited by Mikeaudio

Not sure if you were responding to me.

? You're the only other one who responded at the time. Who else would I be talking to? :P

Alot of whats popular today involves the similar procedure of very big drums and heavy distorted synths. When it comes to Autechre, Aphex Twin and Squarepusher, they come from a completely different school of thought and electronic music composition. In a sense, they compose electronic music. It is the sound of electronics. Where as the new EDM scene is less compositional and more about recycling a specific idea, and ultimately is about pleasing more groups of people together giving them all something to dance to, so it sticks to whats more popular. In a sense the stage that most electronic music is in as of now, is the same stage that rock went through in the 80s, concept wise. So if you are going to write IDM, you will need to first see how many people are able to understand the most experimental and non-conventional songs, and then from there make your decisions on the sound of the album.

I like the first part of this but I don't understand the second part - it seems extremely obvious like its trying to tell me something I already know. I'm likely just not reading it correctly.

My goal here is to make an IDM record that has many of the same attractive qualities as an EDM record. Some who I respect currently succeeding with electronica music have advised me the reason some of my other albums haven't really been taking off is that I need to be using more aggressive sounds, energetic arrangements, and "phat" beats. I have trouble making straight EDM and a lot of IDM seems too easy to do and not that exciting, so I'm trying to find a good middle to satisfy the elements (and fans) of both.

Daedelus

I'd give you his soundcloud but he's been taking on a more calming, romantic style these days, the best I could say is do some searching on this guy's works as most of them are Aphex Twin-ish, weird, and hyperactive (but they're all lighthearted)

Chris Clark

His sound is more focused than Daedlus but his works can go on to a sort of hyperactive sound, however he has the darkness you might be looking for (especially Growl's Garden). His more hyperactive works are Rainbow Voodoo and the entire Iradelphic album, but I chose to showcase Future Daniel because I think the breakdown might be more of what you're looking for.

that's all the hyperactive IDM I could give you, do some searching and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the first part of this but I don't understand the second part - it seems extremely obvious like its trying to tell me something I already know. I'm likely just not reading it correctly.

My goal here is to make an IDM record that has many of the same attractive qualities as an EDM record. Some who I respect currently succeeding with electronica music have advised me the reason some of my other albums haven't really been taking off is that I need to be using more aggressive sounds, energetic arrangements, and "phat" beats. I have trouble making straight EDM and a lot of IDM seems too easy to do and not that exciting, so I'm trying to find a good middle to satisfy the elements (and fans) of both.

I'm sorry if it all came off as redundant, I was just being thorough. I have a problem with tangent talking. I pray it all works out :).