OCR01450 - Chrono Trigger "Subterranean Opus"

djpretzel

I don't think it's possible currently to get any more variation out of repeated notes.. at least for the marcatos and pizzicatos. Not only am I using alternating velocities, but the singular velocity layers have round-robin up and down bow strokes as well as automatic randomization of formant - 3 different possible 'hits' per note, thanks to Kontakt 2. I thought I did a pretty good job in that regard :) Of course, the legato/sustain stuff is much harder.

Well, I finally made an account on this fora just for this track. I've meant to many times, and now I'll actually start posting back on the music I really enjoy.

But it's this track that finally got me to register. Zircon is probably a favorite remixer of mine, and Chrono Trigger has what is arguably the greatest soundtrack of any game, of all time. And I love this remix. Anything I say will just be repeating what someone else has said, but holy cats! The Hidden Truth part? -Excellent.- Maybe I'm just biased because The Hidden Truth is possibly my favorite track off the sountrack, but...

Augh, I'm just rambling! I love it, love it, in my top ten favorites, after one listen!

The work shows. At the moment, this is probably my favorite of your mixes, zircon. The shift into the Hidden Truth is great in my opinion. I really do like this better than the original (duh!). That little "punchy" feel the whole piece has to it really adds something special, like at 1:35. Nice job!

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the best remixes I have heard in a while, it's pretty astounding and the crispness is amazing. It's really impressive how all of the different sounds meld together seemlessly, and the various sections slide in between each other perfectly.

An excellent job.

Just got done downloading the song and I must say...You are a genious... I've ALWAYS loved your work even when I used to see you on IRC, unfortinuely I've had quite a few comp crashes since we last spoke and have lost every single track you sent me...which is a tradgety as you are truely a master at what you choose to do. It is good to see your still going strong and I hope we can meet up again some day, I look forward to hearing and seeing more of your work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

zircon... you did it again! You are great! Another mix that really surprised me! So many different sounds mixed together in such terrific way! Great job!

Unfortunately, this time I don't liked a bit of the music: that the little 'Hidden Truth' piece... seems just not necessary. The music could go nicely without it!

This is a great mix, so please don't let this rub you the wrong way. The section from 2:40 - 3:00 is awful (but not on it's own merit, it's actually rather good on it's own). It seems as if it was thrown in mistakenly from another mix, most probably because the transition is nonexistent. I'll agree that it leads into the section after 3:00 fairly well as the two sections play off each other well, but it's just really out of place.

Yeah, while I was working on everything past 2:40, I figured that some people would have a beef with that section. The fact is that I really had no ideas once I had gotten to 2:40; literally, none. I was stuck for at least a month. The best thing I could think of was a tempo change (which isn't all THAT sudden given that a lot of romantic-era pieces change tempos from measure to measure rather abruptly). I had some ideas that I wanted to implement that could only be done at a higher tempo (everything 3:00-3:30) but there was no logical way to get there that I could find, and believe me, I did try a lot of things.

In the end, I'd say there was probably a better way of going about the transition, but at my current level of musical ability, I was unable to think of one. But I don't think the result was all that bad. I was struggling with whether or not I would give up the mix entirely when I was working on it - after about 10 listens to that part though, I figured it wasn't worth sacrificing the whole mix over, and decided to keep it in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is one of my favorites on the whole site. The only problem I have with it is that the high pitched synth and spastic percussion in the last section don't mesh well with the rest of the song and are a little annoying, but I love everything else about it, especially the first two minutes where the new arragement complements the original melody perfectly. It really brought back some memories of one of my favorite CT tracks and inspired me to play it again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Zircon, brilliant...

I really love all of the style changes and fusion of musical eras that all seem to cascade upon each other - it's like a royal rumble between Mitsuda and J.S. Bach, the Danny Elfman comes in with a chair from under the rink, and then MixMaster Mike and Joseph Haydn run down the ramp and pummel everyone...

... Amazing production, great mix, brilliant interpretation, too many good things to say!

• 7 months later...

I think this is my favorite zircon remix thus far (although A Nightmare Before Kefka and Monstrous Turtles! come close. Oh and some of the VoTL stuff, too.)

The blend of orchestra and electronica is seamless. SEAMLESS I say! I can't really explain why this mix is my favorite; it just kinda IS. The transition into the trial theme coulda been a bit smoother, but that is about all I can say wrong about this mix.

This mix never seems to get old no matter how many times I listen to it. I do not know why, but WHATEVER, if it means I get to listen to this mix more, then OKAY.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01450 - Chrono Trigger "Subterranean Opus"