OCR01450 - Chrono Trigger "Subterranean Opus"

djpretzel

• 2 years later...

Pretty crazy that this was posted a few days after I joined the site and decided to try this remixing thing for myself. :o

There are a few minor nitpicks I have with this track, mainly some of the string articulations and that tempo transition, but for every nitpick I have, there are countless things that are excellent. I loved the beats and the harpsichord passages, especially when they get extra-ornamented with trills and mordents; I love that kind of thing. Synths were tastefully mixed in, though I wish the lead synth had a little more vibrato and swagger to it.

Everything about this mix says quality to me though, i'd say this was 5 months well spent. :-)

• 1 month later...

One of the best things a piece of music can do is surprise you by pulling the wool from over your eyes and revealing its true direction. This is a textbook example of that.

At first listen, I just assumed this was another Elfman-esque exercise for Zircon. Impeccably made, but still, no surprises. And then it began to metamorphosise in ways that made a lot of musical sense; off the wall percussion began to move the orchestra rhythm along, synths began to be introduced and soon powered the entire piece, until eventually it had broken free into something much different. It's quite poetic, if you really want to overanalyse it.

Everything sounds pitch perfect sound-wise, and I'm actually a big supporter of how the mix transitions into its second source tune. The whole mix within a mix concept is the biggest selling point, and to try and betray that whole notion that they are somehow connected in a medley-type relationship would ruin everything it could have been. How it is now is a fantastic surprise.

In my humble opinion, you could probably peg this one near the top of the bunch when it comes to orchestral-electro hybrids. And that's even more impressive when you consider that the other contenders for the top spot are also zircon mixes. Truly a sign of a master of his genre.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Here is ANOTHER great mix I never spoke a word about for whatever reason. Just excellent, the most cohesive blend of electronica and orchestral music I have ever heard. The mood is perfect too. The sudden tempo shift is killer and feels just right. Also, The Hidden Truth is the best source (on the OST or even outside it) that could accompany this. Amazing work. 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01450 - Chrono Trigger "Subterranean Opus"