Ports that disappointed you.

Melbu Frahma

for FFT, were the nice animated cutscenes there in the original? i used to have the psx copy , but never ended up playing it beyond the first few fights.

No. Everything happened within the game's engine in the original.

EDIT: Actually, that's not strictly true. There were... oh, what, five? six?... painting-style monologues in the original. But no, the animated cutscenes I believe you're referring to weren't.

Edited by Melbu Frahma

Another port that bugged me was Shadow of the Beast for the Genesis. The Amiga original had great graphics, tough gameplay, and spectacular music. The Genesis got the graphics mostly right, and the gameplay was basically there, but the game was sped up because of poor optimizing for U.S. systems, and the music was absolutely butchered.

Maybe the Genesis couldn't have done an exact port, but it could have done a lot better than what we ended up with.

Edited by The Coop

I was really disappointed the FFT port had slowdown (loved the Shakespearan dialogue and new cutscenes) but with a little PSP hackery that is 100% fixed now.

Would it work with a PSP slim? That thing was annoying to hack, both between the frequent updates they ran and the fact that in order to hack it in the first place you had to overwrite the BIOS. If you fucked that up you pretty much bricked your handheld. It may be different by now, though.

It wasn't a total failure, but I always like playing the original Link's Awakening than the GBC port. They don't let you skip text with B in the GBC version.

Huh. I didn't know that, because I take forever to take notice of anything different.

I always liked the newer remake of A Link to the Past (that's the one, right...?) because of the newer redone artwork. But it's always nice to see the original back from the early 90s.

The GBA port of LttP was annoying for shoving that stupid kid Link voice down our throat. People might not realize it, but it was a cleverly insidious way to try and retcon possibly the most famous 2D Link into the standard Toon Link paradigm. At least, that's how I see it now (because ask yourself, why would they put in a bunch of HIYAs into the game that didn't need it?).

It was a stupid addition and makes it harder to go back to the GBA port. The SNES cartridge is more than sufficient.

Edited by EC2151

Yoshi's Story voices in Yoshi's Island GBA is an unforgivable sin.

You wanted to forget about that shitty N64 game? Ha ha ha, have all the shitty N64 game you want!

Nintendo didn't get the memo that we don't care about Charles Martinet all that much when we play a Mario game. : /

Another crappy port that really bugged me is Skies of Arcadia: Legends. The added material was not worth the terrible sound and graphic quality. Everything was compressed all to hell, so when the characters would have that stupid little "yeah!" or "uh-huh!" babble they'd say in cut scenes, it would be super-loud. The cham minigame with cupil was ruined without a UMV, and there was no Pinta's Quest at all (not that it was all that useful to begin with).

Then the worst thing: the music. Skies of Arcadia had fantastic music, and the Dreamcast's on-board sound was great. When they ported it to Gamecube, they killed any level variance and all the instruments were loud and muddy. It sounded terrible, especially on tracks like The Dark Rift or Little Jack. I tried to find an example of it on YouTube, but all the "Legends" soundtracks up there are from the original Dreamcast OST.

I mean, I guess the Gamecube version is better than no Skies of Arcadia at all, but it's nowhere near as awesome as the original.

Another crappy port that really bugged me is Skies of Arcadia: Legends. The added material was not worth the terrible sound and graphic quality. Everything was compressed all to hell, so when the characters would have that stupid little "yeah!" or "uh-huh!" babble they'd say in cut scenes, it would be super-loud. The cham minigame with cupil was ruined without a UMV, and there was no Pinta's Quest at all (not that it was all that useful to begin with).

Then the worst thing: the music. Skies of Arcadia had fantastic music, and the Dreamcast's on-board sound was great. When they ported it to Gamecube, they killed any level variance and all the instruments were loud and muddy. It sounded terrible, especially on tracks like The Dark Rift or Little Jack. I tried to find an example of it on YouTube, but all the "Legends" soundtracks up there are from the original Dreamcast OST.

I mean, I guess the Gamecube version is better than no Skies of Arcadia at all, but it's nowhere near as awesome as the original.

whhaaaaaaaaaaaat?! How dare you attack any Skies of Arcadia! :)

I havent been able to do any side by side comparisons and when I got my gamecube, at the end of it's life, i moved all of my consoles to VGA that I could. So since I was forced to play Legends on an old crappy mono TV I didn't think to make any judgement about the music.

But the additions of the really really tough bosses, Piastol, and a few collection mini quests I thought were great.

Skies of Arcadia was the best game for ladder enthusiasts.

whhaaaaaaaaaaaat?! How dare you attack any Skies of Arcadia! :)

I havent been able to do any side by side comparisons and when I got my gamecube, at the end of it's life, i moved all of my consoles to VGA that I could. So since I was forced to play Legends on an old crappy mono TV I didn't think to make any judgement about the music.

But the additions of the really really tough bosses, Piastol, and a few collection mini quests I thought were great.

Skies of Arcadia was the best game for ladder enthusiasts.

Skies of Arcadia is my favorite RPG, so it's more of a fan that really was not happy with a port. I played the original SoA back in college on a nice big TV with nice speakers, so I got to enjoy it with beautiful sound. Now that I have a bigger TV with nicer speakers, it shouldn't look and sound worse.

The only thing I did like was that it was harder to get Vyse the Legend. Miss one chest, answer one question wrong or get knocked out in battle once and you won't get it. Really amped up the difficulty in a game that was pretty easy the first time around.