Ports that disappointed you.

Melbu Frahma

Hmm, interesting. I've only played Skies of Arcadia for Gamecube, but I gave it up after awhile anyway cuz it didn't hold my interest.

If you love airships (and who doesn't?) Skies of Arcadia was a dream game. What really bums me out though was that it was among the last of SEGA's truly creative efforts. SEGA games kinda stopped being SEGA games for the most part after that. :(

Still hoping for a sequel...

If you love airships (and who doesn't?) Skies of Arcadia was a dream game. What really bums me out though was that it was among the last of SEGA's truly creative efforts. SEGA games kinda stopped being SEGA games for the most part after that. :(

Honestly, I think Tales of Symphonia ruined me for Gamecube-based RPGs...

I'm glad someone brought up the Skies of Arcadia Legends Gamecube port. It's the only version of the game I ever played, so I'm grateful it was even made because it's a truly great RPG. One of my top five favorite 3D RPGs. But it's such a shame the audio quality suffered so much.

Already been mentioned but the PSone ports of FFIV-VI and Chrono Trigger on the Anthologies and Chronicles collections. Load times and audio issues mostly, but Final Fantasy V suffered the worst with that absolutely horrendous translation.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I do not like to play Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. Holding the 3DS while playing that game makes my hands cramp up for starters. I don't really like the control layout for it and I've accidently turned off the 3DS by mistake twice while playing because I was so used to using a button to access the equipment menu. The graphics overhaul looks great, but I do not like playing the game.

Honestly, I think Tales of Symphonia ruined me for Gamecube-based RPGs...

What do you mean by that, exactly? :-?

On a side note about ToS and expectations, though, I thought the voice acting in Baten Kaitos would sound nice and be pretty clear due to playing ToS before....

I haven't really played much ports that would give cause for disappointment. The voices were annoying, though, in the two Super Mario Advances I have (Bros. 3 and World). However, gameplay was still very much the same, not really any loss I noticed there. Generally if I want to play an older game I go for playing the original somehow, unless there is a graphical overhaul, expansion or something.

Disgaea DS obviously suffered more than a bit in quality. Haven't gotten the PS2 version, but I have played the original Disgaea 2. Still fun, just horrible image and sound compression.

I seem to be very picky about voices....

• 2 weeks later...

Valkyria Chronicles has a lot of the same design team as Skies of Arcadia (along with cameos from Vyse, Fina, and Aika). Check it out if you haven't already. It's not really a spiritual sequel or anything but hey same design team! so I consider it one. What really clued me in that it was the Skies Team was that it has the same little "Special Ability Cutscenes" that interrupt the action likes Skies' ship fights did e.g. when the Delphinus used the Moonstone Cannon.

Edited by Avatar of Justice

Valkyria Chronicles isn't close enough to a Skies spiritual successor. Great game, but why won't they touch SoA? I know sales were tepid but they didnt exactly market that masterpiece at all. The random battles were the only glaring fault.

Skies is my alltime favorite game. I've gone through three copies and three playthroughs. They can't even throw us a portable spinoff? C'mon, Kickstarter that right now SEGA.