OCR00378 - Revenge of Shinobi "Da Factory Funk"

Saunders

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

filtered flangy funk, folks!

definitely reminiscent of standards past, yet this is a fun tune to listen to. It serves as a good example (when comparing to his later stuff) at David's own progress as a musician and arrranger.

This was posted over six years ago, and I only wish I could have done anything half this good that long ago.

This one's got pep. No, download it, have a listen, and do a barrel roll, kids!

Short but sweet, I love the synths and the tight integration with the drums. I think there are a few places this could have been taken, but from what's there, nothing is lacking.

Sound quality is fantastic, and the beat is totally strut-worthy. If i was, say, 10% cooler, I'd strut to this, but since i'm not, it'll have to remain a beautiful dream.

• 11 months later...

Very cool. I love the flanged percussion. The only other time I've heard percussion with effects like that was in "Kiss of Life" by Peter Gabriel. While this is a completely different type of song, I still feel that the flanged percussion works very well and gives this a very funky feel. It's great to see that even back in the day, DJP had the ability to create some truly funkalicious grooves.

I'm totally going to rip off other people's reviews. Mostly because I know they know what they're talking about and agree with them. Also because I wouldn't have known to call it 'flanged percussion.'

So yes, love the perc. Definately the right choice for this mix, and it definately drives the music. The mix is short but sweet although, as I've been complaining about in a couple other mixes, I feel like there's a lack of melody or real movement. It's ok, though, since the mix still has a nice groove.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Rather oddly this is labeled only as "Funk" on my computer, but whatcha gonna do.

So glad you mentioned this, I thought I was going crazy looking through my computer for this song.

The song does have a groove and the flanged percussion is... yeah... I just don't like it. I dunno, it doesn't seem like it goes anywhere, and the sounds used overall don't really do anything to help it for me. *shrug* I guess that's just personal taste though. It still has the djp shine and attention to detail that I come to expect though, so definite points for that. If you are into this style you will like it for sure... I think.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00378 - Revenge of Shinobi "Da Factory Funk"