OCR02818 - *YES* Super Mario Land 'Super Hipster Land'

OceansAndrew

Very straightforward compositional arrangement, with definitive increase in vibe. Some moments are great, like the slow section comes out of nowhere and is quite effective. Other things like the turbo-time drums and excessive glitch edits are pretty gimmicky, and somewhat clumsy. I also don't see the point of the Bruce Lee sample.

I could go either way, but I'm leaning

NO

• 2 months later...

the glitching, imo, sounds completely uncharacteristic in regards to the rest of the song. at the very least, it's overused within this particular arrangement. otherwise I was actually digging the arrangement quite a bit. sort of a loose/drugged out sound to it. I'd burn one to this.

aside from the glitching, I also wanna mention the lack of a bass presence. the track is so full and busy (in a good way), but all of the action is in the mids/high. I think a kinda fat, fuzz-toned bass would really work well in this track.

anyway, definitely promising stuff, but I'd like to hear you take one more pass at this one. I don't think it needs a lot of work, but I think a little more polish could take it a long way. hope to hear this one again!

NO(please resub)

The drumbeat being kind of repetitive for the first section dragged this down some, because it's not that interesting. Strange shift at 2:02 that could have used more of a transition, but no big deal. Some dense sections were too cluttered. That's about all the criticisms I had.

I'm not sure what's there to NO besides feeling the arrangement approach is potentially too gimmicky or disjointed. OK sure, it sounds kind of gimmicky. Could it be better? Yes. But is it cohesively put together and mixed alright? Absolutely. I just don't agree with the NOs at all and felt those calls were too subjective. What's here is creative, interpretive, and reasonably well-executed. Let's go.

YES

I'm somewhere in the middle on this, but more in Larry's camp. Perhaps a bit gimmicky (I could do without the turbo drums and the sample at the end) but produced well enough, and had some cool ideas for arranging this. Definitely a creative remix, and there was enough glue to hold it together. I can understand the NO votes, but I go

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...