OCRA-0038 - Milky Way Wishes: A Kirby Super Star Tribute

Level 99

• And here we are. What an amazing journey this has been.

It is quite a trip looking back through the years of this project, I am not going to lie. Almost 8 years... wow. So many memories and friendships were made during this, and I treasure each and every one of them deeply. This project means so much to me personally. Reflecting on each memory really tugs at the heart strings.

As I was browsing through the art files while listening to the soundtrack, I found myself starting to think about all the memories I have treasured working on this since the day it started. Those memories that I treasured started to just flood my mind all at once: all the laughs and joy shared between all the artists, all the hype that was created when the project first debuted... heck, even the arguments that was had between my younger, dopey self and others about progress and how things should be. That is when I realized something: throughout the years, the project became something more than just a collaboration. It became something that was "real" to me.

Development for this project was very interesting. Throughout the lifespan of this, I have gone through 8 hard drive crashes. This constant data loss set back the project immensely, which explains why the updates came pretty frequently at first, but then came only every so often. Not only that, but I have gone through 9 different Flash artists, probably the biggest setback. Development for the storybook side of things was pretty much in a perpetual state of limbo because of the constant problems I had with artists, either with pay (learning experience for sure here), commitment problems, or just straight communication. Suffice to say, the production of this was definitely a unique experience. Definitely stressful, but memories I would not trade for the world.

I want to thank every single person who was involved during the development of this project. The whole thing wouldn't have even reached this far if it wasn't for the staff that I have worked with. Each one of you guys are so amazing and deserve so much praise. I could seriously go on and on, raving about each of you and just how amazing every single contribution you have made to this project was and just how much it meant to me personally, but that would make this far too long (and far too sappy). I will say, at least, that I platonically love each and every one of you and I thank you all. The friendships that I have made with you are bonds that I will cherish forever.

I want to also apologize to every single fan out there who has waited ever so patiently for the release of the project and was hoping to see the Flash storybook I dreamed up come to life. Deciding to release the project as-is was by no means an easy decision for me to make, trust me. I slept very little the night I submitted this because of how much this affected me personally. It felt like a small piece of me left me, but in the end I know it is for the best. It has come to the point in this project's life where I have to just let it go.
    And, with all that said, I present you with the fruits of the labor of the most amazing and awesome staff that anyone could have asked for. Some files are unfortunately missing (thank you HD crashes and failures), but a vast majority of everything is still retained and put up on this site.

Thanks for the memories, guys.

- Niraj Sharma (Arek the Absolute)

• After a long and arduous, nearly 10-year journey, I'm finally proud to present Milky Way Wishes: A Kirby Super Star Tribute! I'd like to extend a deep, heartfelt thanks to everyone who contributed to and stuck with the project after all these years, through all the silly delays, project rebirths, and the mind-numbingly long periods of absolute silence. It's all over now, and the result is something very special and dear to my heart. I'm so excited for you all to finally hear it. Please enjoy Milky Way Wishes!

- Drew Wheeler (halc)

• If anyone thinks directing an album is easy, I have two words for them: think again.
    I came on the album very late in the game. Currently, I'm one of the main OCR staffers who tracks albums and helps directors prepare for their release. I had been in talks with Arek about getting a bundle of the album ready for me to begin album prep for quite a few months, since he had decided that the storybook idea was likely not to get finished within a reasonable time to meet his expectations. I had been poking and prodding him off and on until I got a call one morning that the whole album had been posted on the forums as a bundle. As an artist on the album, this was not the release I was told it would get when I signed on. As a staffer waiting to get my hands on the file, this was not what I had expected either.

This album has more heart in it than most other things I've come across in my life. The art, the music, and the legacy that this album has deserved to be given a proper release. I've had the music since it was submitted for evaluation two years ago. Milky Way Wishes has been inches away from being released for so long, how could I let every bit of hard work reach completion in a minimalist release? After talking with Arek, halc, and the staff, I ended up coming on to take care of the odds and ends to get this ready to roll out.
    My experience with administering this album may have been short, but it has been intense. halc and Arek and everyone else involved with it should be proud of what it is, instead of what it could have been, because as it is, this is one amazing tribute to the little pink puffball.

- Stevo Bortz (Level 99)

cover.jpg

Before I get to listening to the entire album, I'd just like to share my thoughts.

I am a little disappointed by the fact that some tracks were not covered, but I understand that this has been a project fret with development issues, and I am happy to at least hear what has been covered. So, congratulations for finally getting the album through, and thanks for all your hard work :)

Does Ska Buffet (the last track for Disc 2) cut off early for anyone else? It seems like there should be a few more seconds on the track. Duration is listed as 4:25, and I used the second mirror download link for the album.

The cutoff potentially seems purposeful for whatever reason AFAIK, as it's same length as the clean version (but there's different horn tomfoolerly at the end). But Stevo can shed more light on it. The project file for it was lost, so I didn't have the leeway to ask about a different version without the cutoff.

I happen to notice that a lot of albums have motifs with their genres. Hedgehog Heaven was techno, The Dark Side of Phobos was industrial metal, Sonata of the Damned and The Robot Museum were both a subset of jazz, Threshold of a Dream was chill, relaxed, and low-volume, Bad**s was high-energy and metallic, Random Encounter was, IIRC, progressive rock, and Milky Way Wishes is chiptunes. Perhaps the most impressive feat was the "Oracles-and-Limes" crowd who put out one (beep) of a show with their chiptuning skills! Alas, as great as The Best 2 Minutes 14 Seconds of Your Life" was while it lasted, I've heard a little bit of ProtoDome's ReMix of GuruGuru's Windmill, and it's bound to easily outdo the Peanut Plains ReMix later this year!

Do any of you think it was sheer coincidence that so many Essence of Lime veterans flocked to Milky Way Wishes? If chiptune was the goal from the beginning, then I think you got just the right ReMixers. As I might've said before, Essence of Lime was my favorite Unofficial O-Clocked album!

Edited by Liontamer
double post merge

Do any of you think it was sheer coincidence that so many Essence of Lime veterans flocked to Milky Way Wishes? If chiptune was the goal from the beginning, then I think you got just the right ReMixers. As I might've said before, Essence of Lime was my favorite Unofficial O-Clocked album!

It was, but what an awesome coincidence to have. Glad to see it worked out towards your interests. : )

Now you've got 2 of 3 albums in your sig completed. :)

Edit: no wait, that was Essence of Lime. Oops. Well, I'm going to keep my original statement intact so people can see how dumb I am. :)

Edited by Argle

[Preparing for hate on PrototypeRaptor's "So Easy" in 5... 4... 3... 2... :lol:]

Oh my... I didn't think this was ever going to see the light of day.

Well, in my defense, 2 years ago it seemed like a good idea.

...just kidding it was a bad idea then too haha

Congratulations on finally getting the album released, though! It's been a long, crazy journey, hasn't it :-)

Congratulations on finally getting the album released, though! It's been a long, crazy journey, hasn't it :-)

I'd agree. OCR02226, Nullification, was better. I don't think So Easy can get past the panel nearly as easily.

Legit lol'd at the track.

As a fan of both Kirby music and chiptune-y happy music, this was an obvious download for me. As I said in IRC, this album is kinda like an OCR Time Capsule - it reminds me of the OCR style from when I first started listening here.

EVERYONE GET IT RIGHT NOW

Haha. OMG I forgot. My song from 2005 is on there.

Welcome to the club :P I'm just glad I wasn't kicked off this one while the project leadership changed hands. Thank you for releasing this project finally. I'm loving the songs so far. Even yours Monobrow :)

Also, I made a song for the album, I arranged "Time to Learn" but it didn't make the cut. http://soundtempest.net/soc/remix/oc-kss-kirbynooshie.mp3 you can get it here if you like. I PERSONALLY like it better than the song that made it on the album, so I'd appreciate it if you listened to this song as well ^^

Edited by OverCoat