SEGA Saturn 20th Anniversary Album is CANCELLED

Dave the Rave

I'll get a few wips together and pick something but is famous Sega Saturn Vaporware ok? Sonic Xtreme was the most anticipated Sonic game that got cancelled but alot of people seem to really like the music that was supposed to be in it.

Not answering on behalf of the director BUT considering that vaporware/unreleased games have already been featured on OCR (Such as Star Fox 2) from an eligibility perspective on the staff side, Sonic Xtreme should be fine. The music MUST be in the game's code, though. No music from trailers or previews would be allowed unless the game itself had the code in there for it.

Edit: Oh one other thing, and this KILLS me to say but any ReMix of Segata Sanshiro's theme would need to be discussed by staff as to whether or not we can have it on an album. I know point-blank it would not qualify to be a posted ReMix, so it would not be eligible for a mixflood due to the song originally being written and used in a TV commercial and not in a game. However, being on an album is questionable as the source materials valid for albums differ slightly from ReMixes. Some songs on the Super Dodge Ball album were ineligible for mixposting but still allowed on the album due to them being based on old regional folk songs.

I'll ask the staff and get back on that.

Edited by Level 99

Not answering on behalf of the director BUT considering that vaporware/unreleased games have already been featured on OCR (Such as Star Fox 2) from an eligibility perspective on the staff side, Sonic Xtreme should be fine. The music MUST be in the game's code, though. No music from trailers or previews would be allowed unless the game itself had the code in there for it.

I was kind of hoping for a definite no just to help me narrow down what I want to do. :)

If the album's release is 2014 I think it should have double the amount of tracks it currently has planned by that time.

I just updated the rules regarding cancelled games. I’m only ReMixing games that have been finished and released on the Saturn. Games that we’re meant to be on the Saturn will NOT be accepted. I’m sorry guys, but that’s my decision.

Regarding Segata Sanshiro’s theme, I am fully aware the song is technically a TV advert. But since he is somewhat of a mascot for this console (and had his own game) it would be a criminal offence not to remix it. I’m not expecting this song to pass the ocr judges and added to the library. I just thought it would be nice to give his theme a more up-to-date take.

But if this can’t be helped, then I’ll remove Segata Sanshiro’s theme off the list, without any hassle…

I just updated the rules regarding cancelled games. I’m only ReMixing games that have been finished and released on the Saturn. Games that we’re meant to be on the Saturn will NOT be accepted. I’m sorry guys, but that’s my decision.

Regarding Segata Sanshiro’s theme, I am fully aware the song is technically a TV advert. But since he is somewhat of a mascot for this console (and had his own game) it would be a criminal offence not to remix it. I’m not expecting this song to pass the ocr judges and added to the library. I just thought it would be nice to give his theme a more up-to-date take.

But if this can’t be helped, then I’ll remove Segata Sanshiro’s theme off the list, without any hassle…

Sonic X-Treme was such a big thing, though, that I seriously feel it would be a lot more fun and interesting and attractive if we had a Sonic X-Treme remix in here. It would make everything that much more special and different and interesting. There weren't like a ridiculous amount of games cancelled for the Saturn, from what I know, and Sonic X-Treme was the biggest deal when it was cancelled.

I can almost assure you someone's gonna wanna see that on the album.

Just sayin'.

I was kind of hoping for a definite no just to help me narrow down what I want to do. :)

Guess I kind of jinxed the whole thing there. Sorry.

I have to agree with G-mixer that the people who will be most interested in this album will be expecting some mentioning of Sonic Xtreme as it was the biggest shock as far as cancellations went. Alot of people have been arguing for an independent release of the game but due to Sega of J's retraction of their IPs from the west it probably wont ever happen.

Also given how Sega dominated the arcades back in the day and that being able to play their Arcade games at home was a huge selling point for the Saturn, I think you are going to have to allow all first party arcade ports. Those were AM2's glory days for sure.

Yo, put my name down, consider me on board then (lol, i really shouldn't be taking more work on right now but damn it, i'm an old skool SEGA boi) XD

I'm not sure what game i'm going to be covering ...and i'm just a vocalist so i'm going to find someone to collaborate with, but i will be choosing a game and a song to cover over these next few days.

I'm kinda toying with Burning Rangers, a rap version of "Angels with Burning Hearts". Put me down for that for now and if i change my mind, i'll let you know.

If Burning Rangers is a no go, i might be heading towards a Cyber Troopers: Virtual On or Virtua Cop route. Maybe even Fighting Vipers. But Burning Rangers is what my heart is set on, so that's paramount for me!

But yeah, bunny man is on this! Heading back to Saturn, one game at a time, baby!!

Edited by DiGi Valentine

Portanexus up in here! XD Yes, man! Nice!

Oh, also. Throwing out a request from a Sakura Wars fan i know within the SEGA communities i'm linked to. Would anyone here be willing to remix a track from Sakura Wars?

Just a suggestion, if somebody wants to represent the project but don't know what game to cover, there's an idea for you! :)

Level 99, Segata Sanshiro IS the Sega Saturn. The two are one in the same!

With arcade games, I think ST-V games might possibly "count" since the Titan hardware was basically modeled on Saturn hardware (thus games like

, and
were ported straight over and are more or less direct conversions).

That being said, I'd be a definite down to do a mix on something like

, or
(two outstanding masterpieces!). Darius Gaiden and Soukyogurentai also deserve love, though they had PS1 ports (eventually, but were never released in the U.S.).

Updated the list

Also given how Sega dominated the arcades back in the day and that being able to play their Arcade games at home was a huge selling point for the Saturn, I think you are going to have to allow all first party arcade ports. Those were AM2's glory days for sure.

That's what I mean't to say. Which is why also updated the rules.

I have just made quite possibly the shortest OC Remix ever. A 10 second remix of Game Over Yeah from Sega Rally. I'll PM it to the man in charge.
YES! This better be the track to close the whole album, or else i walk. In to a door. Then come back in and sit my ass down.

In regards to remixing or not-remixing any songs featured on cancelled games, in a sense i can see where Dave is coming from. We want to try and hit all the music that people actually experienced back in the 90's while playing a game and not focus on anything that didn't make it to release. With this project, we're aiming to hit nostalgic heart strings rather than cater to things that didn't see the light of day.

That being said however, if Dave doesn't want cancelled game tunes being remixed for this project but Level 99 states that OCR does accept these songs as submitted remixes then you guys can still remix it, it would just have to be outside the project. There's technically nothing stopping you from remixing a Sonic Xtreme track and submitting it to OCR by yourselves, right? :)

Just my two pence on the debate.

Edited by DiGi Valentine

@ Portanexus: I’m unable to view your SouldCloud account. All I’m getting is a message that’s saying “Oops, looks like we can't find that page!” Is there another way in viewing it?

@ Arcade Child: House of the Dead is all yours!

@ Powerstars: If we can find a longer song and use the “Game Over YEAH!” at the end, then will add SEGA Rally to the list.

@ DiGi Valentine: You’ve pretty much nailed everything that you’ve said.

There are only 3 Sonic games on the Saturn and I’m only choosing one of them. If you guys want to ReMix Sonic X-treme, then as DiGi said, do it outside of the project. I’m not stopping you from remixing a Sonic Xtreme track and submitting it to OCR by yourselves.

Anyway, list has been updated again and I’m calling it a night. See you tomorrow everyone.

Hey Dave!

Just so the slots don't fill out before it happens, i'd like to put in a request on behalf of a friend and her bandmates (they're in the process of signing up and are awaiting approvals). So they don't miss their chance to claim a slot i will be doing it for them, just in case it packs out before they get the chance to get here and post.

They would like to cover Scud: The Disposable Assassin. Namely, this tune from the game -

Edited by DiGi Valentine

Good lookin' on the heads up, DiGi. Whether I get on or not, this project is the business.
Lol, no worries, man! The project nearly went over my head too if i didn't stumble across it randomly. Figured you'd be up for checking this out! If you can, try and jump on. It would be awesome to have you here! :)

Garpocalypse! YES! Thank you. I was waiting for someone to claim Virtua Cop. You legend! Take it, remix it, make it liiiiive! XD

Still hoping someone comes along and does something Virtual On related. Or Virtua Fighter 2, perhaps. Lion's tune. Awwww yeaaaah!~♥

Really looking foward to seeing what everyone comes up with for this; the Saturn played host to some excellent OST's and the choices listed here are some of the best. All we need now is a remix of King Of Speed and we're pretty much set, haha!

Edited by Arcade Child

There are only 3 Sonic games on the Saturn and I’m only choosing one of them. If you guys want to ReMix Sonic X-treme, then as DiGi said, do it outside of the project. I’m not stopping you from remixing a Sonic Xtreme track and submitting it to OCR by yourselves.

Anyway, list has been updated again and I’m calling it a night. See you tomorrow everyone.

Meh...? One? We can't do one track from Sonic R and one track from Sonic 3D Blast? Really?

Again, you can say no all you want to Sonic X-Treme, but I am betting you anything it will gain twice the attention if you advertise that there is a remix of Sonic X-Treme on here.

Since when did anyone remix stuff that was leaked by a dude named Chris who worked on a game that was going to release in '95? (or '96, forget which one)

I'm just sorta questioning why we can't simply have one remix of these three Sonic games on there. It's only 3 tracks if we were to do one only for each one.

Just tossing my slightly unrelated two cents in the matter by saying that I do see where you're coming from, G-Mixer, but honestly I'm glad the one-game-per-series restriction is in place. Sonic 3D and Sonic R both have some stellar tunes (dodgy singing in the SR tracks aside), and the leaked Sinic X-Treme songs are also pretty boss and I would love to hear them remixed, but even these days there's still something of a "the only noteable music in a sega made game or on a sega made console is the music from the sonic games" mentality in the pockets and corners of the Internet. It isn't as prevelant as it once was, but a Sega Saturn remix album with very little Sonic tunes on it might go a long way to getting people interested in soundtracks from the other great games on the Saturn.

Either way, it's not down to me what goes where. That's just what I think. This could honestly be a 20 track album dedicated to remixing nothing but Can You Feel The Sunshine and my only real complaint would be "pity nobody could find the original vocalist". Maybe.

Just tossing my slightly unrelated two cents in the matter by saying that I do see where you're coming from, G-Mixer, but honestly I'm glad the one-game-per-series restriction is in place. Sonic 3D and Sonic R both have some stellar tunes (dodgy singing in the SR tracks aside), and the leaked Sinic X-Treme songs are also pretty boss and I would love to hear them remixed, but even these days there's still something of a "the only noteable music in a sega made game or on a sega made console is the music from the sonic games" mentality in the pockets and corners of the Internet. It isn't as prevelant as it once was, but a Sega Saturn remix album with very little Sonic tunes on it might go a long way to getting people interested in soundtracks from the other great games on the Saturn.

Either way, it's not down to me what goes where. That's just what I think. This could honestly be a 20 track album dedicated to remixing nothing but Can You Feel The Sunshine and my only real complaint would be "pity nobody could find the original vocalist". Maybe.

To be honest, the Saturn era of Sonic was one of his most unsuccessful and less known times. Other games for the Saturn were far more popular than Sonic was, as far as I know. Yes, Sonic is still Sonic, but even some historic documentaries on Sonic skip the SEGA Saturn in whole.

I'll go ahead and just drop the argument with Sonic X-Treme. Maybe me and Garco (were you the one that wanted to do it?) could just collab on one and submit it individually ourselves. But c'mon then. 2 games. 2 tracks. Can't be that painful. Either that or we do one track combining a numerous amount of Sonic tracks, maybe even giving a cameo of a Sonic X-Treme tune, which can work.

Please tell me you're not going to restrict medleys too.

I'll go ahead and just drop the argument with Sonic X-Treme. Maybe me and Garco (were you the one that wanted to do it?) could just collab on one and submit it individually ourselves. But c'mon then. 2 games. 2 tracks. Can't be that painful. Either that or we do one track combining a numerous amount of Sonic tracks, maybe even giving a cameo of a Sonic X-Treme tune, which can work.

I'll assume you are talking about me here. :)

I'm not really a big fan of the one mix per series rule. I think it's going to encourage multi sourced remixes that go between too many games in some cases. One mix per game would give everyone a chance to do something from the series they wanted to do and open the ground for more than one remix per remixer. I feel kind of bad taking the whole Virtua Cop series when I know I am only going to be working with the music from Virtua Cop 2 and I would love to get in on some Panzer Dragoon. :(

I think the addition of a Sonic Xtreme remix would be more fanservice than anything but the people who are going to be downloading the album will know that the remixers who worked on it knew their Saturn stuff if they see Sonic Xtreme on there. Especially the ones who are more Sega cultists like me. :) Segata Sanshiro is a great icon but I, like most NA's at the time, had no idea he existed until I was able to watch those commercials on youtube. However I did know about Sonic Xtreme from all the previews to the eventual cancellation notice of the game in my Ultra Game Players mags so Sonic Xtreme was more a part of the Saturn experience than Segata Sanshiro was at the time for me and many others. No big though if we can't do it, i'd be up for a collab on it for sure.

Edited by Garpocalypse