There Came an Echo - music by BGC, Ronald Jenkees, and Malukah

big giant circles

Hi guys,

I've been a bit scarce lately, but I thought I'd share my next project. I've been hired to score Iridium Studio's next game, There Came an Echo. If you've never head of Iridium Studios, check out their debut game Sequence, featuring more music by Mr. Jenkees. It's a DDR/Stepmania RPG mashup, and it's surprisingly fun and amazingly well-written with a surprisingly deep and excellent plot.

Anyway, I'm writing the bulk of the score, with Ronald contributing a handful of tracks, and I've hired the lovely and talented Malukah (you might remember her from

she did a while ago, among other things) to collaborate with me on a few, so naturally, I'm pretty excited.

The game and full soundtrack will be available on Steam but I believe there will be an XBL version as well.

There is a kickstarter for the project going on, and it's doing fairly well, it's at $79/90k but I should mention that if we hit our stretch goal of $115k then there will not only be an expanded soundtrack, but I'll have some budget to hire some additional live performers (like strings etc).

So anyway, here's the link, please check it out and help spread the word! I'm genuinely excited for the game. I've read the script and if it's possible to put aside my bias I'm still genuinely impressed it. Really great writing, compelling characters, a cool sci-fi setting, and a great plot. Jason Wishnov has a true talent for writing and this game (like Sequence before it) will not disappoint. Cheers!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iridiumstudios/there-came-an-echo-0

Oh, also the game features Wil Wheaton in the lead VO role, so that's rad too. :)

"A voice controlled RTS starring Wil Wheaton" just doesn't sound good at all, and the details of this thread are really crazy. You hired Malukah, of all people, to collaborate with? It's like you haven't even been around OCR at all lately so you forgot there are good performers here and instead had to opt for someone who is really not very talented at all and is only in the spotlight because a simple Skyrim cover went viral. If you had said "I hired katethegreat" or one of the other talented performers here I may have been like "Oh hell yes, this sounds like it could be good!" Ah anyway you're following your dreams so I wish you the best of luck, I'm just not into it. No hate, good sir. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

So GDC happened, that was awesome! Then I come back and remembered that I made this thread.

First of all, the game was over-funded to the point where there will be an extended soundtrack, and I'll even have a small budget to work with to hire live performers if I need to, which is nice. A big thanks to all of you who looked/shared/backed!

*edit*

Silly reply removed, therefore I'm removing my due retort as well. Lesson learned I guess, so nothing to see here except talk about the game, folks! 8)

Edited by big giant circles

I'm fully aware of the vast pool of talent that lies within the OCR community. But that does not mean I'm under any obligation to only contract work to OCR folks. On one hand, it's admirable that you're expressing indignation that I didn't hire one of the vocalist known for their work here. On the other hand, I find the notion that you're dismissing the game/soundtrack as uninteresting simply because of who is or is not in it completely disgusting and reprehensible, and you have no excuse for that crap. You know all the people who dismiss VGM because it's "not real music" or whatever? You've just done the exact same thing, only from a different corner of the room. For shame dude. I haven't written a note for it yet, and you're writing it off because I didn't hire someone from OCR. Incredible.

I think he's just mad you didn't think of him for vocals, he just doesn't wanna say it upfront. :lol:

Brandon, quit being a dip, your criticism is just unfair/dumb.

Project looks awesome, and the talent all around are huge gets for this game, so you know it's gonna be excellent. Really like the art direction in particular. I'm also hoping that, if the stars align, all Jimmy, Ronald and Judith all get to collab on at least ONE track. I have no idea what it would sound like, that's why I'm especially intrigued!

Edited by Liontamer

I wish I was hired by Iridium Studios.

I also wish you the best of luck, and that the whole thing works out well for you! I'm still relatively young, but I want to get into video game composition as a career. As you're essentially living my dream job, I wish you double good luck!

Also, Brandon, learn to appreciate people for what they do, not who they are. For instance, your ignorant comment has caused people to NOT appreciate you. The more you know...