Final Fantasy 6 - 'It's Time To Get Serious!' [The Fierce Battle] ~ FF6 Contest Entry

timaeus222

The intro is nice, it creates a cool creepy atmosphere.

The rhytm guitar could use more low-end frequencies. It sounds way too sharp in my opinion. This is very noticeable in the 0:41 guitar riff.

The synth you used for the main melody of the source is amazing. Like, really amazing. You should use it way more in the song!

Source usage is a bit tricky in some sections but I think it's recognizable enough.

I think that returning to the intro at 1:22 is a bit lame. It kills all the energy that the song had been building and serves no purpose in my opinion. You could have jumped to the 2:17 section, played around a bit and then returned to the intro.

On that note, the transition to 2:17 is bit dull, you should change the drums there or something. The sound of the drums, by the way, is pretty cool.

Are you using a bass guitar or any equivalent? I miss one, or at least a more noticeable one.

Overall, I like this mix. I think it has potential to become amazing so I hope you continue with it!

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the lead guitar. It sounds very nice, but dat synth sounds so much cooler :-P

Edited by jnWake

Thanks! Actually, the guitars are... *drumroll* ISW Shreddage. ;)

For serious? Nicely done!

I love the intro and outro sections. Really ambient, complex yet clear, interesting textures, and so on. The intro especially really drew me in.

Those drums are so crisp and just cut through so clearly. The filter at 1:36 is smartly done, and then when the snare rips out of it around 1:47 accompanied by the screaming guitar-- hot damn.

I do have to agree with jnWake with regards to not hearing a whole lot of low-end frequencies. The sections that are just rhythm guitar and drums sound a tad thin at times. The most noticeable place is right after that killer transition at 1:47, it felt like we were building up to something bigger... and I mean, the energy is there, but the frequency spectrum feels a bit sparse. Could just be characteristic of the genre, but I'd consider filling it out more, perhaps.

Enjoyable song, over all. Great intensity and energy... and most certainly "fierce."