OCR01451 - Final Fantasy "Finally Home"

djpretzel

What Noobix said .... am I feeling this? Damn right. Lyrics certainly wouldn't go astray (and let's face it Darangen, you're one of the better male lyricists here). There's a definite ... uplifting quality to it, something I've only otherwise felt when listening to Metal Gear May Cry.

Credits theme? Definitely. There's a feeling of victory here.

BlueMage grants a 7 (>85%)

I really dig this one! I'm actually very impressed that you managed to take a relatively slow and "sad" sounding track (Chaos Temple) and change it into something a little faster and a lot more upbeat and cheery.

I'd like to hear this at the end of Final Fantasy. When you want to hear it in the actual game- That's always a sign of an excellent remix!

I love it. Very smart interpretation, Darangen. You never cease to impress me with your impecable playing and perpetually reinventive arrangement. Somebody tell Uwe Bowl to make an awful Final Fantasy One movie and use this as the end credits theme; surely it would be the film's high point, for more than one reason.

Upon subsequent listenings, the intro's been reminding me of Today by Smashing Pumpkins.

No doubt I'm a sucker relaxed, reflective electronic rock music, so this mix hits all the right notes with me. With a style reminding me of Tears of Contention, this mix definately feels like a part of a much larger story; no doubt why many reviews mention it would feel good at the end of a movie or video game, and I'll second, or third, or whatever that motion.

The key, I think, is all in the synths. With the grinding, distorted guitar behind and the silky smooth synths leading and providing added effects, the mix proves that in music, opposites do attract.

My one minor point, is that I think the synths are drowned out too much by the guitars, so I might enjoy a small dynamic tweak there. But that's only if I had to pick something out.

First rate.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I played this song for my music theory students, and we all agreed that it should be played at the end of an 80's show about some teenager who learns new life lessons and narrates every episode.

*Cue music* *show teenager polishing his beat up Buick* *Cue narration*

"...and in the end, did it really matter if I didn't win the Corvette? Well, yes, but I know there are better things to worry about, too."

Then again, I come up with random things. Regardless, I really like this song. The interpretation on it is amazing, and the change of style really fits well. Definately a keeper for me.

• 1 year later...

Another rock style for Darangen to experiment in! For me, I almost hear this as an older Matchbox 20 track or something that I would hear on TLC/HGTV. I like the soft synth leads you have. Creates a warm moment in the music. Very reflective. Infact, if I didn't know this was Darangen, I would guess it was an early OA track :). I like it a lot. Mixes of this type don't seem to be terribly common here on OCR and it's a great breather from the norm. After finishing the track, I feel that there is some life lesson that I should've come away with.

"You know, as I looked back on my life....."

Good work man!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One word that sticks out in my mind when I listen to this is "homesickness".

The way this is arranged it's so beautiful and just seems to hearken back to better, simpler, long past times. The way the mood is so masterfully crafted here is astounding.

Oh wow, this is really a deeply thoughtful and amazing track.

I'm very impressed with the work here and recommend it.

• 1 month later...

i haven't read any of the comments, but i'm sure at least 10 of them mentioned the smashing pumpkins similarity. Nice blend of sounds, I loved the monoglide synths especially, and and the arrangement was really well done. I think turning the rhythm guitars down a tad would have been best, but i'm still enjoying this a lot. Nice work.

• 5 years later...

I'm absolutely in love with the emotive overhaul Chaos Temple has been given here. It breathes the meaning behind its title in ways that are more than welcome. Entering first is a "G#, E, G#, E, A-B, A, G#" note pattern which creates a foundation (or home, if you prefer) for the mix, and serving as the outro makes it seem like an extended musical tonic to help tie things together. The lead at 0:22 shines in such a way that it could pass for one of the orbs of light, and the string sample at 0:33 is so silk-texture gorgeous I wanna wrap it around myself like a blanket. The original sections go further and build up anticipation of reaching one's destination: 1:07+ and 2:13+ are like spiritual boosts, and 2:36+ exudes melancholy and reminiscence about one's journey and a feeling of wrapping up.

You can't go wrong with expressing nostalgia and final satisfaction in a mix. Love it, love it, love it a thousand times over.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01451 - Final Fantasy "Finally Home"