OCR02819 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Mystical Groove'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: Arceace

Game: Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Name of arrangement: "Mystical Groove"

Name of individual song: Marble Garden

Link to source:

Comments:

Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to be able to sit down for a couple of days, and come up with a song on the spot. That was exactly the case behind this remix. I believe I spent around 12 hours total completing the arrangement, and a few more mastering the track. I really wanted to give the song a feeling of space, so there are a lot of subtle sounds in the background working to support the various melodies in the song.

This was actually one of my favorite levels from the Sonic franchise. The whole concept of Marble Garden was really interesting to me as a kid, and I would often times play to hear the music from this level. I even remember when I first came across OCRemix that I wanted to try my own take on the theme, and here I am today, actually doing so. Hope it's a pleasure to listen to!

Edited by djpretzel

• 2 months later...

The instrumentation seemed too bright to me, and I'm not really a fan of the synths, but I can get past it. I have a feeling if the mixing were different, and the synths weren't as shrill, I'd love this. Bass kick is nice and meaty though.

Anyway, this was a SUPER smart arrangement of Marble Garden. With the rhythms being different and the mixing of some of the parts de-emphasizing the source usage at times, I could see folks being thrown off, but the theme's there nearly all the time (except 2:07-2:33 from what I can tell).

The fade ending at 3:24 was way too abrupt. Should have given it a few more bars to let it wind down more smoothly.

Yeah, maybe another J can articulate some concrete ideas on how to better balance these parts; something felt off there. Not that it was something that risked a NO (far from it), just that this didn't sound optimally mixed, and you can hear unlocked potential.

Regardless, this was some sweet work by Ben, and the first submission of his I've voted on where I felt like this was an easy pass rather than one I could pass with some close call issues. Good work, bro; keep stepping up your game!

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...