real name- Max V. Kravchenko

email address-

userid: 32137

Submission Information:

Title - "Find Me"

link to remix - attached

Name of game arranged - Castlevania: Bloodlines

System: Genesis

Name of individual song arranged - Mysterious Curse(password menu)

Link to the original soundtrack -

Vampire Variations II project

Director: Chernabogue

Hi!

SD3's lvl-up theme was my best remix in my opinion. So here is another project and another short source - another attempt to make soething nice.

Thanks!

Edited by djpretzel

The arrangement is pretty cool, but it's a bit of a stretch from the original. I'm hearing the source in the beginning and end, but most of the song only has the two-chord progression in common. The lead guitar is cool, but it's really more "inspired by" than "of" the source. I think you've got a lot of pieces in the right place, but with a source this short you've got to have more linking back to it than two power chords.

NO

• 2 months later...

Gonna have to agree with Vig on this one. The track is pretty sweet to listen to, but a majority of it feels too distant from the source. Having just the chords to work on isn't enough, IMO.

I'd love to see this one reworked a bit to have a bit more source in there. As it's for a project, I can see that not happening, but if it does, definitely send it in!

NO (resubmit) (changed below)

Edited by DragonAvenger

I always have my doubts with short sources, but man, I think you guys missed a lot of source usage. This is what I heard not even counting chords:

0:00-0:47

0:47-1:03 (strings, can see not counting this because it's so simple)

1:20-1:35

1:35-1:51 (strings)

1:51-2:07

2:09-2:36

3:14-3:30

That's over 50% not even counting the string parts. Song is awes.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
The arrangement is pretty cool, but it's a bit of a stretch from the original. I'm hearing the source in the beginning and end, but most of the song only has the two-chord progression in common. The lead guitar is cool, but it's really more "inspired by" than "of" the source. I think you've got a lot of pieces in the right place, but with a source this short you've got to have more linking back to it than two power chords.

He should compare the two with Palpable's insight, and flip his vote. We're allowed to mess up every once in a while; that's why we have the voting and analysis by the group, to catch when someone else's call is way off, in this case on the level of source usage. I've been there before, but Vinnie did a great job here elaborating on where the connections were. :-)

Man, :32-:47 was loud and cluttered. Same with 1:19-1:35 & 2:41-3:13. Why is so much of this flooded? The brass from 1:51-2:07 was very obscured, and the string accents might as well have not been there, they were so buried.

The arrangement was a pass, even though Vig didn't study the source tune enough. But, dude, you're offending my ears with this volume and clutter. :lol: Why do I have to play the I'm-an-old-man-you're-hurting-my-ears card, when it's your fault this thing's too loud, Mak? :-) Tone this down some, it'll still sound great.

Again, you compare a track like this to "Consent (Make Me Dance)," and the difference is night and day. A track doesn't have to be flooded to be loud. It'll probably make it as it, but if you're willing to tone the levels down a little, this would be an easy pass to me.

NO (refine/resubmit)

Edited by Liontamer

• 3 weeks later...

Man this is BRUTAL. Like... I am agreeing with Larry's assessment of the production here, and while there are plenty of examples of rock albums with production as loud as this, this feels like its pushing the boundaries a bit too much due to the compression and punch. That said, i'm not sure i'm willing to throw this into the NO territory for it, since its still a decent job and while its execution isn't the best, I can see what you're trying to achieve. The clutter isn't that bad honestly, but it is a little messy during the loudest sections. The breakdowns are very welcome imo, as a breather to the rather relentless metal sections :P

The arrangement I felt was fine personally. The source was a little liberal at points but its there.

Overall, I think that despite the production flaws this one makes it through.

YES

Edited by WillRock

• 5 weeks later...

Hmm, tricky one.

The rhythm guitar sound is great but that lead is so abrasive. It's extremely pumped on the compression but that's not exactly uncommon for the style. Vinnie's breakdown checks out and I don't really think there are any dealbreakers in the production.

Borderline but just over for me.

YES