Super Mario RPG: Window to the Stars - History

Theory of N

Hate on me if you wish but i do not believe the people who created this game would ever have considered that type of music for any of those soundtracks. This was one of the golden games of the SNES and a first for Mario EVER. This set the stage for Mario 64 and beyond. If you do not believe you're going to be judged on as high of standards as VOTL and the other two upcoming FF albums i'm sorry you're mistaken. I want this album to be as great as the game i loved so much.

Taking on this as an OCR album means you've got significant standards to uphold. I am no fan of dubstep as my post made clear and i personally don't feel like it belongs in this album. Feel free to prove me wrong by doing something flat out Awesome.

Hate on me if you wish but i do not believe the people who created this game would ever have considered that type of music for any of those soundtracks. This was one of the golden games of the SNES and a first for Mario EVER. This set the stage for Mario 64 and beyond. If you do not believe you're going to be judged on as high of standards as VOTL and the other two upcoming FF albums i'm sorry you're mistaken. I want this album to be as great as the game i loved so much.

Taking on this as an OCR album means you've got significant standards to uphold. I am no fan of dubstep as my post made clear and i personally don't feel like it belongs in this album. Feel free to prove me wrong by doing something flat out Awesome.

You are correct in assuming that the original composers probably did not have dubstep in mind when composing for this game. That also goes for most other genres. Your point falls flat when you compare this to VotL in which there were quite a few liberal genre adaptations.

The great thing about OCR is that we're not confined by genre. We're all about keeping the music alive in one form or another. If you enjoy mixes that are more conservative and what you believe to be more the idea of the original composer, awesome. There are plenty of remixes like that and there will be some on this album as well. But personally, I find the more liberal arrangements the most appealing because it seems more of a collaboration between the original composer and the remixer; the highest amount of creativity possible by taking an original composition and making it your own.

You're not the only one who thinks the way you do so your opinion is not invalid. However, my goal for this project is to

1) Pay tribute to Yoko Shimomura's incredible work by exposing the source material to those unaware and prolonging its life through reinterpretation and

2) Showcase the incredible variety of talent OCR has to offer.

I believe restricting any genre or form of music would be counterproductive to both points.

By no means is the quality of this project going to drop because you don't like one track on a 30+ track album. If you want to restrict musical creativity because of genre bias on your own projects, feel free to do so but I personally couldn't get behind anyone who ran something with that kind of attitude.

Edited by Theory of N

Hate on me if you wish but i do not believe the people who created this game would ever have considered that type of music for any of those soundtracks.

Hence the term "ReMix", this site isn't just higher quality covers of game music, the whole point is to take it in new directions

Like halc said, how can you be pissing on music that hasn't even been made? If you already have that expectation it just predisposes you to disliking it, you'll enjoy it more if you don't go out of your way looking for things to hate

You are correct in assuming that the original composers probably did not have dubstep in mind when composing for this game. That also goes for most other genres. Your point falls flat when you compare this to VotL in which there were quite a few liberal genre adaptations.

The great thing about OCR is that we're not confined by genre. We're all about keeping the music alive in one form or another. If you enjoy mixes that are more conservative and what you believe to be more the idea of the original composer, awesome. There are plenty of remixes like that and there will be some on this album as well. But personally, I find the more liberal arrangements the most appealing because it seems more of a collaboration between the original composer and the remixer; the highest amount of creativity possible by taking an original composition and making it your own.

You're not the only one who thinks the way you do so your opinion is not invalid. However, my goal for this project is to

1) Pay tribute to Yoko Shimomura's incredible work by exposing the source material to those unaware and prolonging its life through reinterpretation and

2) Showcase the incredible variety of talent OCR has to offer.

I believe restricting any genre or form of music would be counterproductive to both points.

By no means is the quality of this project going to drop because you don't like one track on a 30+ track album. If you want to restrict musical creativity because of genre bias on your own projects, feel free to do so but I personally couldn't get behind anyone who ran something with that kind of attitude.

Well said, Mr. Lagaly.

You know, Ben Briggs recently made a Super Mario RPG remix live on his stream. While doing so, someone hopped in, outraged. He claimed that Super Mario RPG was never meant to be dance music.

We all laughed at him. Maybe it was a bit mean, but that's not the point here. When making a remix, it is all about how the artist interprets each track and takes it and makes it their own. We already know that the composers love this (after all, we have several remixes by composers themselves, most recently being Dave Wise).

As I see it, unless you are the original composer yourself, you really don't have any footing in your claim that the soundtrack was never meant to be [genre]. Some of my favorite remixes are songs that take the source in a completely different direction. JJT's The Flood Plain takes the high-energy Big Blue track from the original F-Zero and turns it into a beauteous piano solo. Diggi Dis took the Zero Stage 2 theme from Mega Man X5 and made it incredibly funky, whereas the source wasn't that at all.

I'm sure that whatever Rockos does with the track will turn out phenomenally; there's nothing saying you can't just not download that one track if you really don't like dubstep that much once this album is done, after all.

If you want to restrict musical creativity because of genre bias on your own projects, feel free to do so but I personally couldn't get behind anyone who ran something with that kind of attitude.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this the way you mean it. Chrono Symphonic is probably my favorite album BECAUSE it is so unified, which was achieved by some pretty strict limitations.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this the way you mean it. Chrono Symphonic is probably my favorite album BECAUSE it is so unified, which was achieved by some pretty strict limitations.

Chrono Symphonic is pretty bad. I can stand behind ToN's sentiment.

Besides, if you want an album to sound the same, make a solo album. :-)

I for one, prefer community albums to maintain the community's personality and style.

Unless everyone does dubstep on this album, there's about three dozen OTHER tracks that you will potentially like. So quit yer belly achin. :-)

I think he was saying he couldn't get behind a "Any Genre besides X because X sucks" project as opposed to a "we want to do an X-genre themed album" project.

I think he was saying he couldn't get behind a "Any Genre besides X because X sucks" project as opposed to a "we want to do an X-genre themed album" project.

Yes. Restricting a project to a single genre is unifying and makes for a consistent album. Having a project completely open to anything EXCEPT for a particular genre because you don't like it is a different story.

Let's get off of this topic now, shall we? I think I summed up everything that needed to be said about it in regards to this project in my last post.

Edited by Theory of N

Wow, im trying to get something started up for the starlights festival song and im curious as to why you didn't make this a claimable track. this is a really cool song once you shorten the chord progression.

Going super coldplay with this mix. Hopefully it'll be acceptable, though.

The Starlight's Flower? That's probably the most mixable of the ones down there. I omitted it because it's really just a chord progression with the same motif repeated over it. There's not much material at all. If you can mix it, go for it and send me a wip :D

Oh nice, the track I was interested in auditioning on is still open. I'll finally be able to start on it next week, once work dies down a bit. I've been doing some brainstorming and sample-hunting in the meantime, and I think I've got a concept for the parade song. And I don't say that as any kind of claim or pseudo-claim, of course, but I figured it would be good to restate my intention only so that I don't come across as a flake after my last post. =)

• Liontamer changed the title to Super Mario RPG: Window to the Stars - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic