DmC Devil May Cry

Brandon Strader

The game looks and plays amazing on the PC, and I'm absolutely pissed off at the fan base for even assuming that this entry lacks any of the crazy action and polish of previous entries. The writing still isn't the most amazing stuff in the world, but it has definitely graduated from grating to interesting, and Ninja Theory did a good job with facial captures, which adds A LOT to each story scene I've found.

That being said, the controls can be pretty complex, and after every battle I have to stretch my hands and fingers just because I feel like I gave them a pretty nice workout(I'm playing on Nephilim AKA the only way to play). I definitely cannot recommend playing it on anything but a gamepad. I Still haven't finished it, but I appreciate that it has a nice length and deep gameplay mechanics. Stringing together combos on the fly feels really great, and the grappling mechanics make for some lengthy attacks and interesting platforming.

Seriously, if DmC and Tomb Raider(just finished that one on Tuesday) are any sign of where gaming and gaming narratives are going, then by all means sign me up!

I have to say this game is just awesome. The graphics on PC are insane, the way the limbo levels morph and change just look amazing. The PS3 version was just ran too choppy for my liking though. It ruined the slick gameplay. My only gripe with this DMC is being forced to use certain weapons to defeat certain enemies which you never had before. It would be easier to beat some enemies with different weapons but never the sole means to do so.

Not sure this has the replayability of 3 or 4 for me but still a blast all the same.

Edit: Screenshots do not do this game's visuals justice :P

Edited by Magellanic

DmC is one of the very few games that I quit in disgust before beating it. The visual style of limbo cannot make up for the absolute failure in every other area.

How to fight monsters in DmC: Turn the camera away from them. Monster AI shuts off if the camera's not on them.

How to fight monsters in DmC: Turn the camera away from them. Monster AI shuts off if the camera's not on them.

To be fair this is something you could do in at least DMC4 to my knowledge, it was a tactic used to help get through bloody palace mode without being pounded.

I'm not trying to stick up for the game though it was a poor entry into the DMC series. It was a good game in its own way but I expected better with DMC. The combat system was pretty enjoyable in some respects with newer weapons giving some teeth to the combos but the balance was sometimes awkward and things like certain enemies only being hurt by certain weapons came off as annoying and broke the flow often. And those boss battles...I played Nephilim mode and was barely even scratched by the handful of bosses the game offers. It was pretty laughable to be honest. Also I sorely missed having lock on.

I won't go into the story and characters, or redesign of characters. Personally I didn't enjoy any of those choices. What they were doing though I think could have been so much more.

I could rant on more but it won't do any good. Take it as it is, it's an enjoyable game.

My friend wants me to give this game a try but I argued there's no point as I can't enjoy a game if I don't like the main character. Fortunately he agreed with me and seemed to drop the point. Don't matter if it plays awesomely and the art is spectacular with an irritating runt like DmC Dante I just couldn't play it.

Give me a fucking break. As if the original Dante were any interesting in the first place. I'm actually shocked that so many people with seemingly comic book-level(defined herein as base adolescent) interests don't take a vested interest in DmC seeing that it was actually written by a comic book writer.

Woah chill man, only said I didn't really like new Dante's character no need to lose it.

Though original Dante was totally interesting and far wittier from what I've seen. My friend has played all of the DMC's and loves all Dantes so I guess I envy him a bit. Got fond memories of old Dante's awesome witty moments but thinks new Dante has decidedly badass moments. New Dante just ain't for me *shrugs*

I gave up on DMC after the second one. The first one had a good character, decent story, excellent music, and unique visual style. Every game after just followed a classic Hollywood sequel mentality.

The soundtrack was a unique blend of gothic and industrial? Let's add guitars and screaming and remove all semblance of melody!

The character made a few wisecracks and one liners? Let's make all of his dialogue like that!

Crazy acrobatics and fighting combos? Let's make all the really cool moves happen in cutscenes that make no sense whatsoever!

The original Devil May Cry was supposed to be Resident Evil 4, so some of the more ridiculous aspects were toned down and actually gave the game some credibility. Every game after that just injected everything with adrenaline for absolutely no reason.

Devil May Cry literally changed my life. I would not be the same person without it. As far as I'm concerned, there was only one Devil May Cry, and it was made in 2001.

Edited by Cerrax

DmC could have been a lot better but everyone's got their opinions, some people see it as fresh and cool, I still think it has an identity crisis. At this point if they make DmC2 I think there could be a lot of potential for the rebooted Dante. Putting aside the optimism and settling of what has happened...I miss old Dante a lot he was just far more enjoyable, he was entertaining and with that I also miss Japan being on top of their games. If Platinum games could do Devil May Cry I'd be a very happy man.

DmC: Devil May Cry looks great and it has some really nice set pieces and the music fits with visuals but its difficulty is a total snoozefest. And really the idea of cool they were going for is such a juvenile one. The writing is also really cliche' and takes itself too seriously even all the way through the Vergil DLC.

Getting SSS in one simple combo? Lame.

I don't really care much for the game, but I must admit after listening to the soundtrack a couple of times, there are some really tasty sound textures in this. Anyone who is looking for inspiration for synth design, this is a great soundtrack to listen to. And just to clear up the whole dubstep soundtrack debate, its not dubstep. If you listen to most of the dubstep scene, its no where near as cinematic as Noisia's work on this soundtrack.

I gave up on DMC after the second one. The first one had a good character, decent story, excellent music, and unique visual style. Every game after just followed a classic Hollywood sequel mentality.

You gave up after the one that's so bad that Capcom even acknowledges the fan theory that it wasn't really Dante in the game, but a fat guy dressed up like him.

DMC3 is pretty much the best, for the record. DMC4 is hit and miss, but manages to get along by having Nero's whinyness balanced out by Dante's presence.

That's my biggest complaint with DmC-Dante - he's basically Nero without the actual dante there to slap him upside the head and tell him to stop whining and just do it. Instead he gets King Fedora Vergil and I kind of stopped giving a shit after it was clear Capcom didn't give a shit either.

I liked that in 3 and 4, I had to work for my style, and when it clicked, it looked absolutely amazing. In DmC, I was topping the style meter by just button mashing with nothing unlocked. And I started on the hardest difficulty it let me start on.

The art design and visual style of Limbo is nice. That's about it. The plot basically being fanfiction of Fox News vs Redditnonymous, the 360 noscope abortion, all of it including the endgame shit. It's just a genuinely awful, awful game. Don't waste your time on it, get the HD Collection and 4 (Skip 2), and just hope whoever made the comment that if DmC does poorly in sales, the entire franchise is shitcanned, gets slapped upside the head.

Preferably alongside the ninja theory person who kept insisting their story was going to be Shakespearean in nature.

the dmc vs DmC thing basically boils down to whether or not you like video games

like yeah DmC has good art direction and sort of good music and it's a very polished game but if you actually you know like video games then you'll recognize pretty early on that it's shit

hey I like playing video games too and that's why I don't like DmC

maybe we have different ideas of what 'play' means here, like maybe you think 'play' means 'press a button a lot of times mindlessly while the game tells you how great you are until the credits roll'

hey I like playing video games too and that's why I don't like DmC

maybe we have different ideas of what 'play' means here, like maybe you think 'play' means 'press a button a lot of times mindlessly while the game tells you how great you are until the credits roll'

I don't really see how reductionism helps you here. I've not played DmC, but I quite fondly remember playing DMC3 in a manner quite similar to your boiled-down opinion of DmC, and had a huge blast. I mean, I died a lot too, but at no point did I really feel like I was doing anything more than pressing the attack button a fuckton of times while occasionally using trickster to be an huge asshole.

The only action games I've played that I can really define my playthroughs of as anything more than "mashing X a lot until cutscenes happen" would be Ninja Gaiden and DMC1.