What do you listen with?

I've used the Sennheiser PX series for close to eight years now; pretty sure I've owned every single variant and I still love them.

how about sound cards

I've been curious about getting a dedicated sound card but wouldn't know where to start

I think the consensus is your money would be better spent on a good DAC and/or amp.

Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitors - literally speechless every time I turn them on. Go to a Guitar Center sometime and ask to listen to them, that's the only way to describe.

Audio Technica ATH50's - they're just unbelievable as studio headphones and also great as listening headphones.

I also use occasionally:

Sony PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset - to game with and I have to say, especially for wireless, the audio is pretty solid, it's almost a flat mix.

Bose IE2 In-Ear Headphones - great little earbuds for on the go and at mid-higher level volume the sound is honestly brilliant, the high ends are almost up to the ATH50's.

Mentioned them all because I also produce with all 3 occasionally depending on the situation and to listen to the mix with different headphones after long producing periods.

Edited by kevinvillecco

I have a pair of AKG K701s which are pretty minty, however I vastly prefer the lower cost AKG K450s.

I do everything with those babies strapped to mah dome.

Everything.

*flush*

I replaced the wire/plug on my beat up headphones today; they were going out by the plug. Paid $2.69 for the plug at Radioshack because the old one was this plastic encased thing. Replaced the enamel covered wires with something more substantial. I did order a new pair (this pair has gotten a fair bit uglier; then again, these don't look great anyways), but now these will work a bit longer. Maybe I should cancel the new ones....

DT880 Pros for my main PC, Pioneer HDJ-1000 when mixing on my laptop, and Skullcandy or Bass Buds earbuds when just casually listening on my phone or laptop.

I've also got a set of E-Mu PM5 monitors coupled with a Roland PM-3 subwoofer (dbx crossover in the chain) I use for open-air listening on my main system.

EDIT: Can't forget the good ol' car stereo! Sony head unit, some Pioneer speakers, and an 8" self-powered woofer. That system BUMPS in my CRX. :-D

At home when producing I've got a pair of these BM5-A's. They sound clear and pleasant until you get down to about 100Hz at which point they are pretty boomy down to around 80Hz, though that probably has a lot to do with my room.

when it's late or I need to hear smoother bottom, I'll switch to headphones Sennheiser HD-650. They sound incredibly smooth. I seriously hate mixing on headphones though, cause the way I know the bottom is right is by feeling it, which you simply cannot do on headphones.

When It's time to mix I'll take it to the office

studio.JPG

Where I really only use the Ausberger mains (paired with two ausberger 18" and two Danley subs). I'm pretty fortunate that I ended up in what is one of the best sounding rooms in LA. Incredibly crisp clean and accurate. The bottom is tight and present but not overwhelming. We were having issues for a while when hip-hop sessions would come in and launch the subs all the time, so we upped to 4 subs to distribute the load across more drivers and now that problem seems to be resolved.

My car.

It's got an excellent Infinity Surround system. I can turn it up as loud as I want and I've got the equalizer set exactly the way I like it. I just wish i drove more often :P

My car stereo is interesting.

If I turn the volume knob clockwise, it gets louder. If I turn the knob counter-clockwise...it gets louder.

wat

do you, like, have to turn it off to turn it down or something

No, if you just keep turning it counter-clockwise it will eventually begin to bounce back and forth between getting quieter and louder until you reach a satisfying volume.

You might blow out your ear drums before it starts to actually drop in volume though.

No, if you just keep turning it counter-clockwise it will eventually begin to bounce back and forth between getting quieter and louder until you reach a satisfying volume.

You might blow out your ear drums before it starts to actually drop in volume though.

that sounds genuinely terrifying

that sounds genuinely terrifying

Well, nothing was worse than this one time when I was coming home from this coffee shop. I was listening to music and thought "that last song was a little loud, I'll just turn it down before it switches to the next CD." So the song ends and I turn the volume "down".

I'm just about to take a sip of this delicious hot chocolate I ordered from the coffee shop when all of a sudden Dee Snider is screaming "I WANNA ROCK" at 140 decibels. I burnt myself, nearly shit a kidney and almost rolled the car.