BioShock Infinite

Brandon Strader

....is 17gb. Holy cow. Still not as big as RAGE though which was 22gb. :shock:

m_bioshockinfinite_cityskytrailer.jpg

I was surprised there was no thread for this game. I was almost as hyped for this as I was for Ni No Kuni. We will see in about 24 hours if that hype was justified, though if this is even 75% as good as BioShock 1 was, this will be an amazing game. I watched a lot of making of videos already, which I recommend to anyone looking for more insight into this game.

DISCUSS!!!

*in Hercules voice* EXCITED!!!!

I like that infographic but I'm curious how they define a mile of code. I assume it's supposed to be "if printed out in one continuous line" but at what size? What's the kerning like? How much space between lines? So many unanswered questions! You could probably make the source code for Zork cover 631 miles with the right print settings.

Also, I really wish I hadn't peeked at any reviews for this. Just the summary made me want to start playing now. Work tomorrow is going to be the longest day ever.

I like that infographic but I'm curious how they define a mile of code. I assume it's supposed to be "if printed out in one continuous line" but at what size? What's the kerning like? How much space between lines?

10 point, fixed-width Courier New or nothing

Yeah, thanks Tensei. :( A spoiler tag would've been appropriate. Maybe it's my fault for clicking into this dang thread.

On a serious note, I'll be picking this up at midnight. :D Excited!

My sincerest apologies on behalf of Tensei in his momentary lapse of posting judgement.

I'm waiting for midnight PC. We can both play at the same time I bet. :-P

The 'prize' for winning the raffle was a real holy shit moment for me because I had no idea what this game was going to be about up to that point.

The prize was stoning an interracial couple, amirite. I didn't realize that until just now and I'm like 6 hours in heh. It started to get a lot less subtle with its racial stuff.

So far I am not digging the modern shooter (CoD/Halo) style plastered all over this game. Nothing at all like System Shock 2 / Bioshock 1 which is heavily disappointing to me as I was looking forward to playing a game in the same style. Maybe it changes, but so far I'm being lead like a dog to each location, with big banners that say "GO HERE" and its just running a straight line with little exploration. I can't even go back to old areas unless the game wants me to. I wasn't expecting the game to be like everything else on the market so I'm a little disheartened.

It is a pretty game at least

Edited by Crowbar Man

Stop pressing N. :x

It's just like the original BioShock, they added targeting for the incredible Sky Rail system but you almost have to

Also 1999 Mode seems more like a mode and less like a difficulty. It doesn't seem THAT much harder than Medium. Only thing is, if you run out of money to spawn with, you don't respawn. But you can load your save. *sigh* Apart from that it seems exactly the same.

I've found myself being much more careful with checking for money so I can stock up, to the point that I've found about 5 more audio journals, only have 5 more to go for the achievement. I wasn't even going to try unlocking the remaining achievements in this mode but I might as well do that one since it requires a similar playing style.

Kinda bummed that the "different experience" for 1999 ended up being mostly bunk. And what is the significance of the collar you choose? Between cage or bird. Will it actually BE anything? DO THE CHOICES ACTUALLY MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?!?!?!??!

So far I am not digging the modern shooter (CoD/Halo) style plastered all over this game. Nothing at all like System Shock 2 / Bioshock 1 which is heavily disappointing to me as I was looking forward to playing a game in the same style. Maybe it changes, but so far I'm being lead like a dog to each location, with big banners that say "GO HERE" and its just running a straight line with little exploration. I can't even go back to old areas unless the game wants me to. I wasn't expecting the game to be like everything else on the market so I'm a little disheartened.

It is a pretty game at least

I don't know at which stage of the game you are, but there is actually a lot to explore (including side missions) and you can absolutely backtrack through an entire level. I don't think it's very fair to say that it has the same amount of railroading as a CoD game, and level design-wise it really does remind me of a Bioshock game.

And what is the significance of the collar you choose? Between cage or bird. Will it actually BE anything? DO THE CHOICES ACTUALLY MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?!?!?!??!

I think that in the end, the choices (HUGE FUCKING SPOILERS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER UNLIKE THE FACT THAT THE LIGHTHOUSE AT THE START IS A CALLBACK TO THE ORIGINAL)don't matter, but only serve to illustrate the infinite alternate timelines/universes that slightly diverge. That's where the whole constants and variables thing comes from.

Unrelated, but be sure to listen to every song in the game when it starts playing (especially the calliope song at the beach), you might recognize some interesting things. Also from what I hear this game runs/looks kinda shit on consoles.

Edited by Tensei

Beat the game last night. For the most part I really liked the game but there doesn't seem to be as much secret stuff (and when there is its not as well done) as in the first game. And looking back at the old 2011

for the game definitely makes me wish the game had been more like that, as far as having more character dialogue and more AI skit type deals, as well as a lot of the set design that was cut back.

SPOILERS: Seeing how much of that demo was cut back design-wise, I really can't be sure how much of the convoluted storyline twists they wrote was thrown together to meet a deadline - even with delays considered.) And another thing, they came up with a pretty cool concept with the tears and alternate realities but we never really went anywhere that interesting with them. Columbia under Vox seige? One room in Rapture? Please...) I was expecting the powers to produce a more substantial and gripping time jump segment. Another gripe is that they heavily cut out a lot of the United States patriotic themes from what was previously shown (including the Saltonstall character who is only mentioned). I expected a lot more music and visuals to go with that.

So all in all, the game was really great but failed to realize the masterwork Ken had in mind with that demo.

And I'm sure it's exactly why Tensei said. Console specs(particularly the 360) have held back game design to achieve parity between versions simply because you cut out millions of customers if you don't. But devs shouldn't promise us

if they can't deliver that promise under the business expectations of the dynamic multiplatform state of the industry. In other words, don't promise a high end PC game on a console if you can't achieve that promise and know it would be harder to get a return on dev costs if it were PC exclusive.

Also, I hope the next game takes place on the Moon. During the 1960s. With a secret Moon colony established before the 'moon landing' takes place.

Edited by ocre