Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (new album)

JH Sounds

Documentary feat. Giorgio Moroder

Documentary feat. Todd Edwards

Documentary feat. Panda Bear

Release date: May 21, 2013

Has it really been eight years since Daft Punk's previous studio album? Man, the iPhone didn't even exist yet. Anyway, this release seems like it's leaning toward a Discovery style, but instead of sampling 1970s/80s records directly, they're making new grooves with the help of musicians from the era (Nile Rodgers of Chic, Giorgio Moroder, etc). What do you think?

Edited by JH Sounds

• 3 weeks later...
I'm just ridiculously excited for this. Love Daft Punk, and I agree with how this feels like it will be like Discovery but actually working with the artists/producers instead of just sampling them. So hype!

Yeah, they seemed to confirm that in a recent interview.

"We wanted to do what we used to do with machines and samplers," he explains, "but with people." Except for a snippet of "an Australian rock record" that opens the final track, "Contact," Daft Punk foreswore samples entirely, and they limited the role of drum machines to just two of the album’s thirteen tracks. The only electronics come in the form of a massive, custom-built modular synthesizer that Daft Punk played live on the album, they told me, and an arsenal of vintage vocoders on which they manually manipulated factors like pitch, vibrato and legato.