Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (new album)

JH Sounds

• 3 weeks later...

http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Daft+Punk+Random+Access+Memories/86439304

for those that dont like itunes heres a stream of the album.

make sure its in track order cause the playlist is in the wrong order.

due to listening to half of the album has made me want a real life copy of this album to hold in my hands and adore.

really they have out done themselves.

i frigging love it :D

Great production of course -- can't go unmentioned. But slow or not, the songs don't jump out at me. I understand the sound they were going for on the album, and I really like the Nile Rodgers riffs here and there, but I'm not feeling the tunes. Not yet at least.

Digital Love still stands as my personal fav. I miss that celebratory sound.

If at the moment you're looking for something to quench your thirst for that same sound, check out some Breakbot -- he's under the same label/manager situation that Daft Punk used to be under. Some highlights of his:

, Sweet Sensation, and

Haven't given it a listen yet, but I kind of figured most people would be underwhelmed by the slow, smooth direction indicated by Get Lucky, especially in our almost-overly-produced contemporary music paradigm.

To me, it's not at an issue of production values but just kinda.. lazy composition and arrangement for songs like Get Lucky. They picked the wrong 70s bands/artists to emulate, in my opinion. They should have taken a page out of Stevie Wonder's book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhw_zbvxvb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0eVf3ynZbw

These have similar levels of old-school production and fantastic groove, but they are simply WAY more interesting in terms of melody, harmony, and arrangement... it's just not even a contest. And you can't tell me these grooves aren't amazing. If only Daft Punk did something more like this.

I agree that this was way overhyped (even though I enjoy the hype), though I respect the band immensely for their goal of using more organic elements. I did the same thing with Identity Sequence, after all. :<

I haven't heard the album yet, I'm waiting until it's released. I enjoyed Get Lucky, so I expect I'll like the whole album.

Since multiple people have said it, I have to say I dislike the term "overhyped". Someone please explain something to me. What is considered to be an acceptable amount of hype? What qualifies as too much hype? How do you measure hype?

It always seems to be the people who were disappointed in some way that complain about too much hype.

Geez guys! Give it a chance to grow on you! All good music should. Especially in the paradigm we're in with a hyped release like this!

edit: Also...take a note this certainly aren't the finished masters. From the buzz at the end of the first track...someone definitely ripped these analog. So the real stuff will be that much sweeter.

Edited by audio fidelity

I haven't heard the album yet, I'm waiting until it's released. I enjoyed Get Lucky, so I expect I'll like the whole album.

Since multiple people have said it, I have to say I dislike the term "overhyped". Someone please explain something to me. What is considered to be an acceptable amount of hype? What qualifies as too much hype? How do you measure hype?

It always seems to be the people who were disappointed in some way that complain about too much hype.

Again I actually did enjoy the way they hyped the album, with the collaborator videos and all, but I think they far overstated the uniqueness of the album. To me it seems primarily like old school Daft Punk (90s) with less electronics, more live instruments, more 70s influence. That's fine, and again I really like that they used live instruments. I just think that it is merely a solid album and not a true tour-de-force masterpiece...

Yeah it's ok, not sure how I feel overall, but I'll need to listen to it a few more times once it's officially released. It is definitely a lot more laid back and chill than I was expecting, and definitely a lot different from some of the other Daft Punk albums. I think it's something that will grow on me when I'm in the mood for this style, but so far I wasn't blown away. There are a few songs I really enjoy though, particularly "Get Lucky" and "Give Life Back to Music". I honestly haven't heard much about it prior, so I can't really comment on it feeling "over-hyped" for me, because it wasn't.

You're right -- often hype can only be judged retroactively, based on people opinions on whether the product delivered. Also, "over-hype" is a bit redundant.

My personal opinion is that you can think of over-hype as a marketing build-up that goes above and beyond its usefulness -- to the point where it's actually strangling the release of the product with expectations. Excess expectation is a double-edged sword -- it makes the product a ready-made conversation topic, but that prepped forum can then turn on the product when it doesn't live up to expectations -- which is the most common case with such high expectations as were set with this album's marketing.

But rare is the case where over-expectation actually makes sales worse than it would have been otherwise. In my opinion this album is not good enough to be uber-successful by post-release word-of-mouth or recommendation, so the sales this album will have gotten in the short-term from over-hype is really the best sales strategy it had going for it at the end of the day. The downside is that they can't pull off this strategy again until they have a another winner like Discovery to follow-up. It's like a one-use power up. Now I'm rambling nonsense. I'm stopping now.

Edited by Patrick Burns

Again I actually did enjoy the way they hyped the album, with the collaborator videos and all, but I think they far overstated the uniqueness of the album.

I did raise my eyebrows at some of the praise of Daft Punk in those videos, so I get what you're saying. I don't see that as too much hype though.

I can't really say anything else until I hear the album.

In my opinion this album is not good enough to be uber-successful by post-release word-of-mouth or recommendation, so the sales this album will have gotten in the short-term from over-hype is really the best sales strategy it had going for it at the end of the day. The downside is that they can't pull off this strategy again until they have a another winner like Discovery to follow-up. It's like a one-use power up.

A bit early to say that, isn't it?

hello everyone I am opinions

sup

Edited by Cash