Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (new album)

JH Sounds

imo, I love the album. A few songs didn't strike me as hard the first time, but I am starting to like them the more I listen to them. Definitely the Daft Punk I was waiting for. Still doing their own thing, and not caving in to the pressures of "popular" music.

Love it so much, I started a remix already :3 https://soundcloud.com/djsymbiotix/daft-punk-feat-panda-bear-doin

l5AFhSm.jpg

Makes sense, since 'robotic' is one way I would describe Nick Cages' acting ability.

Looks like there is mixed opinions over RAM so far, so I'm gunna have to dive in and see for myself whether it's my sorta thing or not. Have to say, I really did like Get Lucky, so if the rest of the album is anything to go by that track, I may be in for a treat rather than a trick.

We'll see.

Does "Get Lucky" sorta remind anyone else of "Good Times" by Chic?

That would make sense, since the guy from Chic is on it, lol.

So yeah, there seems to be a group of people who think this album is Daft Punk's best work, and others who think it's so wildly inconsistent that it can barely be considered an album (kinda like DJ Shadow's The Outsider). I've heard the album in full maybe seven times now, and I still haven't quite processed the album in my head.

So yeah, there seems to be a group of people who think this album is Daft Punk's best work, and others who think it's so wildly inconsistent that it can barely be considered an album (kinda like DJ Shadow's The Outsider). I've heard the album in full maybe seven times now, and I still haven't quite processed the album in my head.

LOL. Didn't even think about that. That's funny. That would indeed make sense.

Half of the album for me is "heck yes Daft Punk, freaking amazing" and then the other half is like "yeah, I mean, sorta lost interest here."

l5AFhSm.jpg

I never knew why Daft Punk was popular and I went into this album expecting to not like it at all, and for it to be a bunch of basic loops with vocals on them, like Get Lucky was. But after listening to the album (my first introduction to Daft P) it's actually really good. I still don't understand why it's popular. But I think the fact that I enjoy it after going in wanting to hate it just demonstrates how strong of an album and how well made it is. If anyone disagrees with that, they jelly.

I quite liked the first song. Got groovin' quite nicely, but I agree with Mustin it started to get a little odd around the middle. I can see how people would get turned off by this new album, it's certainly not meant to be modern, dance-y electronic music. Granted, it's always nice to remember the roots in which dance music today was founded on...so why not disco?

Mustin, that signature has made me laugh for the better part of a year (or two?) now, I thought you should know this. Cuz it's awesome.

so.. I've listened to the album all the way through like 6+ times now. I can say that every song has grown on me and I love it all. I decided to go back and listen to Discovery... and RAM has ruined it for me :3. Discovery sounds so... robotic and non organic to me now. I still enjoy it, but I feel like it doesn't have the groove that RAM has. There is also the fact that the mastering for RAM is so much nicer and warmer IMO.

It's funny that you mention The Outsider, because I like a lot of DJ Shadow's stuff, including The Outsider, but it's not the same type of "like."

As for Daft Punk I've never really gotten into their stuff, but I appreciate it and can understand why people like it. Random Access Memories, on the hand, is heroin for my ears.

I think I like it in the same way I like lots of ocremixes and Phoenix's most recent album, Bankrupt! That is to say it sounds familiar and even might remind me of another song I know, but that doesn't really diminish the enjoyment for me.

Also, I think it sounds better as an album than as a collection of songs, if that makes sense.

I was very underwhelmed after my first listen. I was expecting Discovery-levels of awesome and it didn't quite deliver. Some tracks are awesome some not that much, The Game of Love and Instant Crush, are the worst tracks IMHO.

But I've since listened to the whole album quite a bit of times and I must say that it has completely grown on me. The Pharrell/Rodgers tracks are awesome and the Moroder one is specially cool, even though it seems I'm listening to Schwarzenegger for the intro.

I think RAM can't be compared to any of Daft Punk's previous albums it's just something completely different.