Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Global-Trance

Just noticed that when Big Boss gets on the bike at the end of the trailer, he has the exact same red prosthetic hand Zadornov had during Peace Walker...

Also for those interested, the Phantom Pain (or phantom limb pain) is an illusion created by the brain to cope with the removal of a limb, making the person feel as if their missing limb was still attached. The patient can also manifest aching and burning sensation, meaning the hospital in flames and the fiery unicorn chase could all be happening on a subconscious level during Big Boss' nine years coma. This also appears to tie in quite neatly with the whole "Liquid-Ocelot's magical arm" plot point from MGS4. ;)

EDIT: Konami apparently confirmed to Joystiq that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games. !

Holy crap!! Two games?! Nice. Now I'm excited!!

By the way... If I'm not mistaken, Zadornov's prosthesis was on his right arm. Also...why oh why is there something stuck in Big Boss' head? That's been bothering me.

Something just dawned on me. Kojima wants to use the social aspect of the PS4 at some point. And if Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games, imagine for a moment that you can use transfaring between the console and the Vita. I mean, they did it with Peace Walker on PSP and in the HD Collection. So, I'm assuming that Kojima isn't going to limit use of the game to solely the console or the handheld. Furthermore, they've been talking about how social the PS4 will be, and it only makes sense that since the Vita is basically a more social unit, that you'd be able to move your game anywhere via it, or via the features of the PS4.

Yeah, I think Kojima is once again trying to keep us five steps behind him. I think this is one of the main reasons that Hideo Kojima is one of the greatest living game makers today. But that's an opinion. ^_^

Edited by Dyne

Just noticed that when Big Boss gets on the bike at the end of the trailer, he has the exact same red prosthetic hand Zadornov had during Peace Walker...

Also for those interested, the Phantom Pain (or phantom limb pain) is an illusion created by the brain to cope with the removal of a limb, making the person feel as if their missing limb was still attached. The patient can also manifest aching and burning sensation, meaning the hospital in flames and the fiery unicorn chase could all be happening on a subconscious level during Big Boss' nine years coma. This also appears to tie in quite neatly with the whole "Liquid-Ocelot's magical arm" plot point from MGS4. ;)

EDIT: Konami apparently confirmed to Joystiq that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games. !

Well that's cool news but man it kinda confirms that Ground Zeroes is gonna get REAL BAD at the end. Hell the trailer basically looks like it shows us the near-death of Big Boss and the destruction of motherbase.

Also I hope we get a ROCKET PEACE move if it is the same prosthetic.

On a sat note knowing that Ground Zeroes is going to end on such a cliffhanger and that there may be a console gap (Zeroes being on current-gen, Phantom Pain being next-gen) might really hurt my wallet.

The Fox Engine is a scalable engine for current and next gen platforms. I believe it has been confirmed MSGV is for both 360/PS3. It doesn't mean the version we are seeing is the 360/PS3 version, or there won't be an even better version later for PS4 / Durango

However, some of the in game footage and "action" sequences look like the effects/polycount drop a TON down to current generation levels, so the better graphics might be just for cutscenes :/ Should still be in realtime, unless Kojima has given up realtime and gone to FMV, but that wouldn't really show off the Fox Engine

Either way, can't wait to see how this game turns out, big MGS/Kojima game fan myself

Edit: Well, if it turns out there are two games, ONE is confirmed for 360/PS3 at least

Edited by Crowbar Man

Kojima confirms that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are indeed one game.

GZ is just the prologue that leads into TPP (what we saw in the gameplay demo was the start of TPP).

I dunno Kojima also said at the time of Ground Zeroes announcement that it was a separate game but a prologue to MGS5 and now we have conflicting articles saying it is and is not the same game. I think we'll just need to wait and see.

I think we should take Kojima's word for it, since, you know, he'd be the one to know. For all intents and purposes, GZ is a separate game... it's just probably on the same disc as TPP. After all, playing as Snake in the prologue of MGS2 is somewhat different from the rest of the game; to me this just seems to be a more expansive take on that two-scenario style.

Yeah thought had occured...but then I told myself that would mean throughout all of MGS 1,2 and 4 Snake had a big ol' prosthetic arm because I've never been really convinced the man in the hospital looked quite old or buff enough to be Big Boss.

Though is it not confirmed for 360 and PS3 then?

As far as the buffitude goes, it's not unreasonable to think he would have experienced a ton of muscle atrophy during his time being immobilized in a coma.

Kojima confirms that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are indeed one game. [...] I think we should take Kojima's word for it
Both are part of the MGSV arc, but as I posted before, Konami contacted Joystiq after Kojima's tweet to confirm that GZ and TPP are separate games.
snake with a missing arm and yet nobody has mentioned liquid snake yet
Did so in my last post. Talked about the phantom-limb/phantom-pain condition, and how this could help tie in with Liquid-Ocelot's arm. ;)

Btw, did anybody notice that Ishmael was voiced by Kiefer Sutherland (or the best Kiefer Sutherland impersonator ever)?

Rumors has it, he might be (or already have been) voicing Big Boss as well. If true, this would means that Big Boss is having a split-personality disorder.

Judging by the fact Ishmael says: "I've been watching over you for 9 years" when Big Boss asks who he is, I've reasons to believe the validity of all this.

Or at least that Ish and BB will be voiced by the same person, whoever he is. :P

As far as the buffitude goes, it's not unreasonable to think he would have experienced a ton of muscle atrophy during his time being immobilized in a coma.

I guess that's as good an explanation as any, just needs to go fight some monsters and get back into shape.

As for Ishamel I think he might be the third man that Miller was talking about when they were all on the hospital beds and they were trying to save BB from death.

I reckon the space whale and flaming Volgin might be indicative of PTSD in Big Boss, either that or he's hallucinating from the drugs he had when in a coma.

Or y'know...the shot Ishamel gives BB when he wakes up was full of Nanomachines that explain a whole lot ala Drebin.

You know, that thought had crossed my mind.

Apparently he still says that Joakim Mogren is a real person. Granted that was to clarify he wasn't CGI but yeah.

Good that'll give me something to shove in a know-it-all friend of mine's face.

Dude spoiled the surprise as one of my pals wanted to drop the "CGI Person" theory on us at the end of the trailer to shock us but guy said "Pause the video, this is why this dude is CGI" an took the wind out of his sails.

I was kinda hoping he'd rip the bandages off and just be Kojima.

Remember MGS2? Kojima's entire sthick is fucking with what we think's going on. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave conflicting information to Konami for kicks.

that was because of MGS2's overall thematic thing, though - since then info on upcoming metal gears has been pretty straightforward

In case it wasn't entirely obvious... in other words, tl;dr...

http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-explains-why-longtime-snake-voice-actor-wo-463058170?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Oh yeah, and one last thing... The guy on the horse? Clearly Ocelot. The kid in the gasmask, again, clearly Psycho Mantis. Honestly, I'm waiting for Decoy Octopus, Vulcan Raven, and Sniper Wolf to somehow show up.

Edited by Dyne

In case it wasn't entirely obvious... in other words, tl;dr...

http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-explains-why-longtime-snake-voice-actor-wo-463058170?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Oh yeah, and one last thing... The guy on the horse? Clearly Ocelot. The kid in the gasmask, again, clearly Psycho Mantis. Honestly, I'm waiting for Decoy Octopus, Vulcan Raven, and Sniper Wolf to somehow show up.

Yeah and damn does Young Ocelot look kinda badass.

It would make sense for the other folks who showed up to be the Foxhound Unit because Ocelot is there but why would Mantis be antagonistic to Big Boss I mean in the end they all eventually serve him and wouldn't we see Big Boss save Sniper Wolf then?

Also that interview was pretty informative but Kojima is evasive on some points. They say they want a new voice for Snake...but don't confirm a new actor or whether there is one.

Kojima says GZ's is a prologue to PP....but doesn't specify if distribution-wise they are separate games. Though was still a good interview and I hope Kojima finally escapes the MG series, I'd like to see some of his other ideas and I heard he got death threats the last time he tried to leave.

@Gollgagh: That picture is utterly adorable.

If this game is truly coming out for PS3, I'm finally going to go and get one (I don't have a 360 anymore). There's quite a catalog of games I'd like to play (Uncharted, Shadow of The Colossus HD, Ratchet and Clank, MGS 4), and this would probably give me the most incentive to do it.

http://www.gamesradar.com/metal-gear-solid-v-details-cleared-kojima/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp

This may or may not help. Obviously, Kojima is going to be quiet on things he's not allowed to talk about, so as far as the new voice actor goes for Snake/Big Boss, I guess we'll find out sometime closer to launch, or maybe at one of the upcoming expos.

You know, I was thinking about who the disfigured man might be from the Ground Zeroes trailer. That may well be Coldman. I'm not sure, but it seems plausible. If it's not Coldman, well, I'm not sure who then. It's improbable that it's somehow Decoy Octopus. Unless Decoy Octopus is somehow very old during MGS.

As far as Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain goes, as I understand it, it's two parts of a whole. Or so Kojima says in that interview I just linked in this post.