RWS 2-1 ReMixing With the Stars: Season 2, Episode 1: "Country Road"

MindWanderer

No and no. If there was an official, legally released game for console or PC that includes the source in question, even if it's a port or rerelease, it's out. The Super Game Boy and GBA Adapter are only OK because they're hardware designed specifically to emulate the portable system.

Unless you want to turn it into mariachi, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Mixes are up. Sadly no mariachi.

Let me know if there's anything strange about the files or the tagging, I had to use a new program to do it (no access to my usual Linux box).

Edit: Hmm... apparently, technically Cash and Change's entry doesn't match the theme (the same song is reused as the Jade Plateau theme in Blast Corps for N64), but the theme is technically only a guideline anyway.

Edited by MindWanderer

I also wanted to add that there is a short presence of another source in my song that is from the same game. It's the pyramid theme here.

Great entries everyone :).

Edit: Never mind. I just noticed that both sources are on the front page, and that I accidentally read them as one link.

Edited by Cosmic Sounds

Edit: Hmm... apparently, technically Cash and Change's entry doesn't match the theme (the same song is reused as the Jade Plateau theme in Blast Corps for N64), but the theme is technically only a guideline anyway.

I had no idea Rare reused that theme in Blast Corps, I just assumed the theme was exclusive to DK Land. Oops.

You've earned a special place in my heart Cash and Change, for remixing the DKL boss theme. :-)

Yeah, I heard your remix over in the workshop! Good stuff.

I had no idea Rare reused that theme in Blast Corps, I just assumed the theme was exclusive to DK Land. Oops.
Amusingly, I learned this fact from the comments on the video you sent me.
whoa, mindwanderer is a linux guy! way cool! what distro do you use?
My main machine is Ubuntu 12.04 with Cinnamon as the window manager (Unity is horrible), but I have a training/test system running Fedora 17. Linux is a lot easier to work with than people think; the main problem is that when you try to troubleshoot, people tend to give you intimidating command-line instructions when it can be done in the GUI much more easily. That and the fact that no one writes games or DAWs for it. I tried remixing in Rosegarden, that was a disaster. But I understand Reaper has been tested with Wine, so I may try that at some point.

.My main machine is Ubuntu 12.04 with Cinnamon as the window manager (Unity is horrible), but I have a training/test system running Fedora 17. Linux is a lot easier to work with than people think; the main problem is that when you try to troubleshoot, people tend to give you intimidating command-line instructions when it can be done in the GUI much more easily. That and the fact that no one writes games or DAWs for it. I tried remixing in Rosegarden, that was a disaster. But I understand Reaper has been tested with Wine, so I may try that at some point.

I agree, I used ubuntu for a few years before I got my macbook and I really enjoyed it. my only issue was that I managed to crash my system trying to install a psx emulator. I thought reaper was Linux native?

A little less than 48 hours left to get votes in. I have a whopping two votes so far, plus my own. Somebody else had better vote, we have a 3-way tie at present.

I thought reaper was Linux native?
No--they have downloads for Win32, Win64, OSX32, OSX64, and PowerPC, but for Linux they recommend using the Windows 32-bit version under Wine. At least they do that much!

just some things that immediately caught my attention relistening to these the last time:

trism: I had a hard time recognizing the source until a bit into the song. I suppose thats just the genre of the song. i really did enjoy the intro. also there seems like theres some intense clippage going on around the 46 mark that aside from messing with audio quality, also takes a bit of the energy out of the "drop"

Final kingdom: it could just be me, but im not really sure why or how, but the drums just dont seem very full . otherwise I got the source right away, and i havent played that game in a loooong time.

Cosmic sounds: this reminds me alot of the old might and magic game soundtracks. Like 6 and 7. Only thing that really jumps at me is the vibrato. seems like too much of it. I once read a violin instructors book ( i used to play ) and he said that vibrato is like a spice, a little is quite nice, but too much ruins the soup! i wouldnt say it ruined it, but perhaps you could just save it as an accent. right now it seems to trail in on every note.

cash and change, sounds very similar to the source without being too similar or too different. nice :). I feel like a tad more variation in the synths use might really add to this though. Seems like the same ones were used the entire time ( though i think im guilty of that too :/ ) while the arranging is good imo, it gets harder to hold attention in some spots because of the same sounds being used the whole time.

edit: thanks for the music everyone! :)

just some things that immediately caught my attention relistening to these the last time:

Cosmic sounds: this reminds me alot of the old might and magic game soundtracks. Like 6 and 7. Only thing that really jumps at me is the vibrato. seems like too much of it. I once read a violin instructors book ( i used to play ) and he said that vibrato is like a spice, a little is quite nice, but too much ruins the soup! i wouldnt say it ruined it, but perhaps you could just save it as an accent. right now it seems to trail in on every note.

edit: thanks for the music everyone! :)

Wow :), Thanks for the in-depth comments. I'll see if there's a way to temporarily shut of the vibrato on an instrument in my Notation Software, right now I don't believe that there is, but I'll look into it (I used to play as well :D, cello). So I agree with what your saying about the use of vibrato.

*looks up might and magic 6 & 7* XD, oh man. There's a lot of landscape and scenery that I could definitely compose to in that game. Have you ever played Quest 64? (I love that game).

Thanks for your comments :D.

Edit: Ya know.....I actually think that I may possibly have a solution to the vibrato factor. I'll try it as soon as I can.

Edited by Cosmic Sounds