OCR01453 - Chrono Trigger "Black Wind Rising"

djpretzel

I must say, as an avid fan of Star's works ((I first heard of him when I listened to his Pilar of Salt, Xenogears remix)) I have yet to be dissapointed thus far by anything he has created. By the way, I have two friends who loved your Rainy Day Remix of Toto's Africa, Star. :3

I honestly completely zoned out listening to this song, it took me about four or five seconds to realize the song was over and I needed to hit 'play' again. It was definately a song worthy of Star, and I plan on listening to it many more times. Thank you so much for you hard work keeping us otaku's entertained Star. *bows*

• 3 weeks later...

Really, the only CT ReMix that successfully captures Magus's badass-ness. The various styles come together in a coherent and stylistically pleasant manner, losing nothing in my opinion from the transitions.

Side note, 1:35-2:00 (and then the similar part later in the song) reminds me of Trenthian's work.

Great ReMix!

• 3 months later...

Part of the problem with a lot of Magus remixes is that they lose a lot of the underlying 'heavy on the brass licks' sound of the original.

This one doesn't.

That alone is enough to set it apart. My only real complaint is the slow pacing of the song, which - I think - somewhat detracts from the rushing, desperate movement of the original.

Top notch otherwise, and clearly the best of the Magus remixes by leaps and bounds. Everything from 3:00 on is just gold.

• 1 month later...

With this one, I really appreciate the attention given to the transitions--each section seems to grow out of the one before it, while at the same time changing the rules of the game. It's the kind of music that doesn't fit in a box, which makes it very powerful and interesting. The same could be said of Magus, I think. Except for the part about him being music. I'm not that kind of fangirl.

Now that we have traveled the landscape of broad platitudes, I'd like to throw in one specific comment. I appreciate the scrupulously detailed samples for the orchestra instruments. They're not as convincing as the ones in Jared Hudson's insane experiment ("The Frontier") from a while back, but they're better than average. I think they will be sufficient until that day when I get off my lazy ass and make a billion dollars in the stock market, for the sole purpose of hiring my own orchestra and lending it to hopeful ReMixers.

• 2 weeks later...

The intro's strings are a great touch. :37 the tempo change reminded me of a Matrix song. The voices in the backgroung work well with the Magus feel. 1:10 the guitar and bass are perfect. They mix well with the strings. 1:34, not sure what the sound you used there but the mix of new with an old 8-bitesque sound rock!!! Magus's theme flows throughout this piece. The solo at 2:02 gave me goosebumps. Amazing! At 2:22 was not know where you were going untill the strings came back in, worked well. One of the best mixes on the site hands down. Continue to rock the OCR world and I can only expect the best.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

:mrgreen: Love it when the drums finally get into it at 3:33 with that amazing little melodic riff going on over it. Having listened to a lot of what this site has to offer, this piece ends up near the top for creativity and craftsmanship. Excellent job, Star Salzman, whoever you are!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I love the feel of this entire mix. It really feels like so much wrapped into one piece. I actually considered using this piece for a Halo montage a few years back when I was still playing HPC competitively. I can't really say that for any remix on the site; This piece really has a cinematic feel that grips you and doesn't let up.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Certainly the mix that has the most leaved a mark on me in OCR story! It deal with different styles of music, each with an impressive virtuosity! Despite of this eclecticism, Star Salzman manage to get a coherent wholepiece. I’ll never get tired to take a listen on this from time to time, a real masterpiece! Great job!

Edited by bluelighter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01453 - Chrono Trigger "Black Wind Rising"
  • 9 months later...