OCR02828 - *YES* Metroid Prime 2 'Bogged Down'

DragonAvenger

Your ReMixer name: Argle

Name of game(s) arranged: Metroid Prime 2

Name of arrangement: Bogged Down

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Torvus Bog

Source:

- Sine arp in the source starts at 0:32 in the remix and continues for most of the track really, except 2:27-3:18, and it appears a bit in there as well. It's either out front or buried in the background depending on the section.

- Ambient melody that starts in source at 0:13 becomes the organ chord progression in remix at 0:06-0:32, 0:45-0:57, 2:53-3:18, as well as the theremin at 1:10-1:22.

- Sine melody at 0:39 in source becomes melody at 1:23 and 3:31 in remix. Also played by piano starting at 2:28, albiet in a heavily modified form.

- Sine melody at 1:08 in source is played by the woodwinds at 1:49 and ethnic plucked thing at 3:57.

- In remix the watery synth at 2:15 plays the theme from the Submerged Temple, aka Red Brinstar. It's just a cameo tho and doesn't really need to count.

Edited by djpretzel

• 2 months later...

Really loved the constant source usage throughout. Thanks for the breakdown to make the connections pretty obvious.

This is an absolutely standout example of maintaining dynamic contrast and evolution throughout an arrangement with a slower, deliberate tempo; just because an arrangement is slower-paced doesn't mean it needs to plod. The instrumental switchups and various dropoffs & buildups in the intensity were all smartly handled. I'll definitely be using this as an example to point to.

On the negative side, I wish the mixing here was cleaned up during the beefiest sections. The clutter of the mixing job in parts prevented this from sounding its best. For example, the synth from 1:01-1:23 was kind of buried; it seemed as if the electric guitar from 1:23-1:48 was mudding with other background parts; same criticism for the padding from 1:48-2:14. None of this was remotely enough to push this toward a no, but I'll always hope for a cleaner version.

I'd love a fresh look at the mixing, but what's here more than meets the bar. Great arrangement!

YES

• 1 month later...

I love how you made a simple change to the original just by moving where the downbeat landed in the source and how effective it was at adding a new perspective to the melody. This was a pretty enjoyable listen in terms of arrangement, and I agree with Larry that the dynamic contrasts and leading of this mix are quite excellent.

I can see Larry's nits, and I agree with him that they are slight improvements that you can look to work on. I also agree with him that they aren't in any way something that could cause this mix to be below the bar. Nice work.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This is really hot, I'm quickly becoming a fan of yours, Argle. This is perfect soundtrack work - rock drums, thundering piano notes, and a smooth base of guitar and electronics to underpin it. The woodwind lead threw me a little bit, but the beautiful piano breakdown that followed it got me right back on track. This is an easy pass.

YES